Kevin Punter Jr. Heading to Belgium to Play

c458a3c08de9903796e4d909ba8d14ba.png

https://twitter.com/antwerpgiants/status/846404366793871361

Reactions: 1 person
He will be a teammate of Mike Smith from ETSU. This website is a little busy but interesting.
http://antwerpgiants.be/
A little easier to interpret.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwerp_Giants

SD I had a question about ETSU - I think I saw their roster this year was made up of 6 seniors and 6 Juniors and 1 Freshman. I don't keep up with How Forbes recruits but how do you see him sustaining his success in recruiting? I know they currently only have 1 commit to replace the 6 leaving but do you think he will ever try to establish a high school recruiting pipeline to stabilize his classes for the long term? He may not be there long enough to do that but I just wonder how this strategy of not recruiting high school kids will work long term. Just interested to get your input.

Reactions: 1 person
SD I had a question about ETSU - I think I saw their roster this year was made up of 6 seniors and 6 Juniors and 1 Freshman. I don't keep up with How Forbes recruits but how do you see him sustaining his success in recruiting? I know they currently only have 1 commit to replace the 6 leaving but do you think he will ever try to establish a high school recruiting pipeline to stabilize his classes for the long term? He may not be there long enough to do that but I just wonder how this strategy of not recruiting high school kids will work long term. Just interested to get your input.

Ah so your Senior Drills other account

Reactions: 3 people
Ah so your Senior Drills other account

Haha negative - Just would like an ETSU fan's thought on Forbes recruiting strategy? I don't think it would work at a P5 school but maybe this is what most Socon schools do? Its crazy to see a roster with 12 upper classmen and 1 Freshman.

Let me tell you how his recruiting philosophy works. He recently said he was hired to win immediately and not 3 or 4 years down the road. He has done just that with 24 and 27 win seasons and a second and first place finish in the SouCon.

He says his job is to reload each and every year with the players he needs to get the job done. They lose six seniors but they have an All Conference player and four players who averaged over 10 minutes per game. The only freshman on the team averaged 9 minutes a game and was a pg in high school who averaged 25.6 points, 6.1 rebounds and 6.6 assists who was ranked as the 25th best player in Michigan out of high school.

Seven foot Peter Jurkin is seeking a sixth year of eligibility and may get it. He has four scholarship openings and is seeking big men and another wing player. He has already signed Bo Hodges, the Class AA POY in Tennessee the last two years and the #8 ranked player in Tennessee.

Here is his description of the process:
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Basketball/2017/03/17/Bucs-Forbes-looks-forward-to-reloading.html

Haha negative - Just would like an ETSU fan's thought on Forbes recruiting strategy? I don't think it would work at a P5 school but maybe this is what most Socon schools do? Its crazy to see a roster with 12 upper classmen and 1 Freshman.
I guess it's crazy to see the North Carolina Tarheels with 5 seniors, 4 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 2 freshmen on their roster. Not a whole lot of difference.

To interpret, the Tarheels have 9 upperclassmen on their roster, the Bucs have 11. Obi-Rapu is a red shirt transfer who will join the team in 2017. A year ago, he shot 41 percent from the field and 74 percent at the foul line ... played two seasons at NCAA Division I Longwood University in Farmville, Va., finishing his sophomore year averaging 12 points and 3.1 rebounds, while shooting 38 percent from 3-point range. Forgot to add him to the returning players for next year. Perea and Banks, the red shirt transfers from Indiana and Wichita State were starters this year.

The response was to this comment, "I don't think it would work at a P5 school but maybe this is what most Socon schools do? Its crazy to see a roster with 12 upper classmen and 1 Freshman." One need look no further than UNC to see a team dominated by upper classmen. They recruit differently than Kentucky. The comparison is Forbes recruits differently than Barnes. Of course there is quite a bit of difference between Kentucky's freshmen and Tennessee's.

Last edited:
To interpret, the Tarheels have 9 upperclassmen on their roster, the Bucs have 11. Obi-Rapu is a red shirt transfer who will join the team in 2017. A year ago, he shot 41 percent from the field and 74 percent at the foul line ... played two seasons at NCAA Division I Longwood University in Farmville, Va., finishing his sophomore year averaging 12 points and 3.1 rebounds, while shooting 38 percent from 3-point range. Forgot to add him to the returning players for next year. Perea and Banks, the red shirt transfers from Indiana and Wichita State were starters this year.

The response was to this comment, "I don't think it would work at a P5 school but maybe this is what most Socon schools do? Its crazy to see a roster with 12 upper classmen and 1 Freshman." One need look no further than UNC to see a team dominated by upper classmen. They recruit differently than Kentucky. The comparison is Forbes recruits differently than Barnes. Of course there is quite a bit of difference between Kentucky's freshmen and Tennessee's.

Well, I'd argue 12-1 (92%) is significantly different than 9-4 (69%), especially with a roster limit of 13 and ETSU supposedly only has one commitment for 2017. ETSU basically has skipped on entire class (2015), signed one the next year (2016), and has one signed for this year (2017). Things could go south quickly if that roster isn't sewn up. UNC isn't facing that seem battle, and recruiting to UNC is a different animal than recruiting to ETSU.

Well, I'd argue 12-1 (92%) is significantly different than 9-4 (69%), especially with a roster limit of 13 and ETSU supposedly only has one commitment for 2017. ETSU basically has skipped on entire class (2015), signed one the next year (2016), and has one signed for this year (2017). Things could go south quickly if that roster isn't sewn up. UNC isn't facing that seem battle, and recruiting to UNC is a different animal than recruiting to ETSU.
Its not 12-1 Its 10-1. One player is walkon and the other is a redshirt D1 transfer with 2 years eligibility. Forbes recruited 6 last year. Will do so again this year. As he says he will reload not rebuild. Worked so far.

Last edited:
Its not 12-1 Its 10-1. One player is walkon and the other is a redshirt D1 transfer with 2 years eligibility. Forbes recruited 6 last year. Will do so again this year. As he says he will reload not rebuild. Worked so far.

Well, if he only has one signed/committed so far and is going to lose six seniors, then he has his work cut out for him this late in the game.

Well, if he only has one signed/committed so far and is going to lose six seniors, then he has his work cut out for him this late in the game.
"As anybody who has watched Forbes put his team together knows, the parts with which he’ll reload can come from anywhere. He has more connections than a commuter airline, and those connections will surely come in handy in the coming months.
'Right now, we’re recruiting some really high level high school players, some junior-college players and there will be some transfers out there,' Forbes said Friday morning as the team prepared for the trip home. 'We have our eye on the prize. We just have to finish. I like the guys we’re recruiting'.”

Last edited:

VN Store

Back