Basketball in the state

TennesseeRhett

Even though the men aren't dancing this year and the women are seeded lower than we are used to, I am still impressed with how consistently the state of Tennessee produces quality basketball teams in a state not particularly known for the sport. Memphis, Belmont, Vandy, UT and ETSU all routinely make appearances for both men and women, and programs like Austin Peay, UTC and MTSU are showing themselves more frequently. That's a lot of colleges for a state that doesn't have a remarkably large size or population.

I truly am a fan of all things Tennessee, and I like to see all our colleges and universities succeed as much as possible.

Reactions: 3 people
hard to pull for Vandy
Or Memphis.

Tennessee represents better than what my state does. We usually only have two teams, UK and U of L. Some times we occasionally get WKU, EKU, Morehead State, or Murray State in. This year we got Northern KY in, but they just joined D1 a few years back.

Or Memphis.

Tennessee represents better than what my state does. We usually only have two teams, UK and U of L. Some times we occasionally get WKU, EKU, Morehead State, or Murray State in. This year we got Northern KY in, but they just joined D1 a few years back.

WKU has been quite a bit. 22 appearances from 1960 to 2013.

As long as they aren't playing UT, I usually root for in-state schools*

*Vandy & Memphis excluded

Or Memphis.

yes but both are perennial sweet 16 or better......and Western is out recruiting the VOLS also. Very disappointing

Its not hard for me to believe: Vandy is an older team who played in the tournament last year and their underclassman make up 26% of the minutes played so I think Vandy is a team you expect to be where they are. I think comparing ETSU & MTSU to Tennnessee is comparing apples and oranges. If Tennessee plays in those 2 conference tournaments they are in the tournament as well. MTSU was 1 and 1 vs top 50 rpi and ETSU was 0 and 1 vs top 50 rpi. When you play a strength of schedule that is ranked around #200 and only play 2 top 50 rpi schools you should be 29-4 or 25-7.

Just my thoughts

Hard to believe that 3 from TN are dancing and Memphis and UT aren't included.

Its not hard for me to believe: Vandy is an older team who played in the tournament last year and their underclassman make up 26% of the minutes played so I think Vandy is a team you expect to be where they are. I think comparing ETSU & MTSU to Tennnessee is comparing apples and oranges. If Tennessee plays in those 2 conference tournaments they are in the tournament as well. MTSU was 1 and 1 vs top 50 rpi and ETSU was 0 and 1 vs top 50 rpi. When you play a strength of schedule that is ranked around #200 and only play 2 top 50 rpi schools you should be 29-4 or 25-7.

Just my thoughts

Memphis and TN were both the number 1 team in the country within the last 10 years. I find it hard to believe that neither is in the NCAAT.

Reactions: 1 person

Just my thoughts

I hear the media thinks MTSU has the ability to make another deep run in the tourney with many players returning from last year.

If this is true, they have been in more that UT has since the NCAA Tournament began (20 appearances all time by my count). That is pretty darn impressive by WKU.

They're about 42nd all time. TN is tied for 44th.

Kentucky is the only charter member of the SEC with more NCAAT appearances. Newbies Arkansas and Missouri have more than WKU. The other 11 SEC members have fewer NCAAT appearances than WKU.

There are benefits from being the big dog in mediocre conferences.

Last edited:
ETSU, vandy and MTSU all are playing at about the same time today....it is a remote control paradise

ETSU went down but had a great season. Hope Steve Forbes stays awhile. Barnes is building the Vols with kids and it will be fun to see them develop. He and that staff can evaluate talent!

Don't give a rat's butt about Memphis - but I live as close to Canada.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back