Thoughts going forward?

OrngeJuiceJones

Next year should see a nice amount of talent, still young, but plenty of depth too. With the incoming recruits, Fulkerson returning healthy, and returning 7 key contributors in Williams, Bone, Turner, Phillips, Schofield, Bowden, and Alexander, and Jalen Johnson also available we should be ready to win 20+ regular season games. Our depth will be really key down the stretch. If this all comes together, which I believe it will, with our tough non conference schedule we'll play again next season, we will be an NCAA tournament team with a nice RPI and SOS. I fully expect to finish top 4 in the league.

Reactions: 6 people
Next year should see a nice amount of talent, still young, but plenty of depth too. With the incoming recruits, Fulkerson returning healthy, and returning 7 key contributors in Williams, Bone, Turner, Phillips, Schofield, Bowden, and Alexander, and Jalen Johnson also available we should be ready to win 20+ regular season games. Our depth will be really key down the stretch. If this all comes together, which I believe it will, with our tough non conference schedule we'll play again next season, we will be an NCAA tournament team with a nice RPI and SOS. I fully expect to finish top 4 in the league.

I agree 100% . What seed do you think the Vols could get in the NCAA tournament next year ?

I agree 100% . What seed do you think the Vols could get in the NCAA tournament next year ?

We'll play another top 25 schedule, and barring any bad losses, and decent RPI I'd guess anywhere from 4-7. 6 being my guess. I would love to see us win an SEC tournament in my lifetime, but it isn't in Nashville next year but instead in St Louis. I do however see one maybe two players leaving before next season.

IMO the key for success next year is to have everybody buy in or leave ASAP. The 2 Tyndallites Plus 1 should be the leaders. If any of those guys don't buy in I really hope they leave now rather than being problems during the season.

There are 13 on scholarship and I can see every one of them making significant, important contributions... BUT they need to understand that there might be a game or a few games that they get very few minutes of playing time. I hope that they can stay positive, put the team ahead of their own self interests, and be patient... because there is no doubt that their number will be called many times over the course of a 30+ game season.

There are no seniors on the roster next season. It's really important for Schofeld, Phillips, and Turner to buy in. They are the leaders based on time in the program (Alexander too, but he's kind of a special case having only been playing organized basketball for a few years now).

I hope that this group of older players show a lot of maturity, leadership, and elevated play and are a positive influence on the 9 (other) underclassmen. Turner is technically an
underclassmen, but I consider him to be in the group of elders since this will be his 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 person

I'll say top 6 finish in the league and 19 wins...19-12 (12-6). Still a lot of youth, uncertainty at PG, lose our top scorer, and the league seems to be improving as a whole.

I see definite improvement coming, but still a lot of transition with another fairly large freshmen/RS freshmen class (5 guys including JJ and Fulk).

We'll see if any lineup attrition/addition changes my thinking. Without knowing the entire schedule, it's tough to make an accurate prediction.

I'll say top 6 finish in the league and 19 wins...19-12 (12-6). Still a lot of youth, uncertainty at PG, lose our top scorer, and the league seems to be improving as a whole.

I see definite improvement coming, but still a lot of transition with another fairly large freshmen/RS freshmen class (5 guys including JJ and Fulk).

We'll see if any lineup attrition/addition changes my thinking. Without knowing the entire schedule, it's tough to make an accurate prediction.

This.

Depending on schedule and draw in the B4A, I think 18 wins is the minimum expectation.

I have a question for you guys who know the program much better than myself. Why is it that Kyle still only weighs about 75 lbs? Is this a reflection of the S&C program or what? He really needs to add about 50 pounds for next season. Any thoughts?

I have a question for you guys who know the program much better than myself. Why is it that Kyle still only weighs about 75 lbs? Is this a reflection of the S&C program or what? He really needs to add about 50 pounds for next season. Any thoughts?

Because he's 6'10".

Genetics. It's not uncommon for very tall people to have trouble gaining muscle/weight.

He doesn't really have the frame to carry an additional 50 pounds naturally. People built like Shaquille O'Neal, Dwight Howard, Damarcus Cousins, etc., are few and far between. It is unusual to be extraordinarily tall AND have a large frame. Most often, people Alexander's height have a thin, narrow frame. You can usually judge that by the width of their shoulders. People with narrow shoulders will have trouble adding a lot of healthy weight (muscle mass).

Calling next years team a tournament lock or a 20 game winner is a little premature.
Not sure what some are calling depth.
The front court of Schofield, williams and Alexander will be backed up by Freshmen.
And we still need to find some consistent perimeter scoring to open it up for the big guys.
I'm hoping we'll be better, but just adding the pieces doesn't guarantee anything in TN.

Genetics. It's not uncommon for very tall people to have trouble gaining muscle/weight.

Yeah that's true, but it's not impossible. He just needs to up his calories a whole lot more. With his height and body weight, he needs around 4,000 calories a day to maintain his body weight. He could gain close to a pound a week by getting around 4,500-5,000 calories a day. That's a sh!t ton of calories, but if he has a good appetite like most young guys have it could be done.

look, I want our Vols to do as well as anyone, but the glaring hole is big bodies down low...that's hard to overcome throughout a season...we've got to get them to compete, not only in the SEC but nationwide...jus' sayin'...and, as always...

GO VOLS!

Yeah that's true, but it's not impossible. He just needs to up his calories a whole lot more. With his height and body weight, he needs around 4,000 calories a day to maintain his body weight. He could gain close to a pound a week by getting around 4,500-5,000 calories a day. That's a sh!t ton of calories, but if he has a good appetite like most young guys have it could be done.

I don't mean this to come off as sarcastic but do you not think UT's cutting edge nutrition department doesn't have him consuming at least that since the day he stepped on campus??

Calling next years team a tournament lock or a 20 game winner is a little premature.
Not sure what some are calling depth.
The front court of Schofield, williams and Alexander will be backed up by Freshmen.
And we still need to find some consistent perimeter scoring to open it up for the big guys.
I'm hoping we'll be better, but just adding the pieces doesn't guarantee anything in TN.

This. I hope we win 20+ and make the tourney, but I wouldn't be suprised if we finished 17-15

We'll play another top 25 schedule, and barring any bad losses, and decent RPI I'd guess anywhere from 4-7. 6 being my guess. I would love to see us win an SEC tournament in my lifetime, but it isn't in Nashville next year but instead in St Louis. I do however see one maybe two players leaving before next season.

Who do you think will leave ?

I don't mean this to come off as sarcastic but do you not think UT's cutting edge nutrition department doesn't have him consuming at least that since the day he stepped on campus??

Yeah I'm sure they do, but they're not going to force him to eat if he doesn't want too. They can write him meal plan after meal plan, but if he doesn't follow it then it's pretty simple that he won't put on weight. You can workout and lift weights every day but if you're body isn't in a caloric surplus you won't make any gainz, so it's pretty clear he isn't eating enough calories. It's simple broscience.

Yeah I'm sure they do, but they're not going to force him to eat if he doesn't want too. They can write him meal plan after meal plan, but if he doesn't follow it then it's pretty simple that he won't put on weight. You can workout and lift weights every day but if you're body isn't in a caloric surplus you won't make any gainz, so it's pretty clear he isn't eating enough calories. It's simple broscience.

Except it's not, you can gain weight but sometimes there's a limit to how much you can really gain in a healthy manner. Jordan McRae has talked about trying to put on weight dating back to his freshman season, calorie intake wasn't what held him up, some guys just can't put on good weight.

Yes, the more you and I eat the more we will weigh, it's not that simple for everyone though.

You don’t know very much about how some peoples’ bodies work. Many things determine how bodies gain or lose weight, including muscle. Genetics also plays a part in weight gain.

VN Store

Back