Coach Barnes post season presser

Dallasbowlin

Everything woke turns to sh*t
According to Barnes, the team will play in Barcelona, Valencia, and Paris.

Barnes: We're planning to play overseas this offseason. I think it'll be good for our guys.

Barnes: I want the team to feel the sting of what it's like to not reach your goals. It took me a few days to just watch another bball game.

Barnes: We talked after the loss to Georgia and a major topic was leadership. I don't know yet who will be a leader next year.

Rick Barnes: "A lot of people have told me we're ahead of schedule. I don't agree with that ... I came here to win."

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Glad they're doing the overseas thing. A lot of fun and play against good competition.

Someone needs to embrace the leadership role. The tricky thing is that our core is still so young. Phillips if he can get more minutes? I don't know how much leadership you can really exert if you're not ~30mpg. I'm personally pulling for Turner and/or Williams. I have actually been thinking about starting a thread on Turner and his role for the program. I definitely don't think he's going anywhere, despite what some have said.

Edit: Schofield may be a good one to step up.

Reactions: 3 people
how about everyone taking responsibility for being a leader...doesn't have to be just one, does it...:)
PS. Glad that coach is keeping them busy in the off-season...should be a good experience...wish I was going...:yes::thumbsup:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Bbbbbbut Barnes won't leave Knoxville, and he doesn't wanna take a trip, if they do it'll be to Canada, no way they go overseas.

I heard that he also said that Bowden is already in the gym working towards next year .

Next year, we get Fulkerson back, a talented player in Pons to fill in the role of Hubbs, two bigs in Walker & Kent. Next year we should be an NCAA Tournament team. We're still young but have a lot of talented players. I agree with the leadership, we didn't have a leader this season and that's what hurt us. I was hoping Hubbs could have stepped up and took that role but it didn't happen. Maybe Schofield should be the next man up.

BBBut, Barnes says they're not ahead of schedule.
Sorry Homers, not even Barnes thinks we're over achieving.

He's all talk. He's just here collecting a paycheck bro. He doesn't think we're overachieving or underachieving. He just don't care :crazy:

Getting Fulkerson back & having experienced players now should be really good for us in the future. Schofield should be the leader of next years squad and taking the next step of becoming one of the best players in the SEC imo. I could also see Pons , walker & maybe Kent contributing next year also . Plus with us having a lot of depth next year will be big .

Nice to see a coach with high expectations isn't it? Not sure I recall anyone saying we overachieved Barnes expectations for his team, do you? Now the media and "experts" predictions we sure did, but you already knew that I'm sure.

Rick Barnes: "A lot of people have told me we're ahead of schedule. I don't agree with that ... I came here to win."
---
I like hearing that...but he goes about that winning thing in a weird way. That last possession vs Georgia was a microcosm of the entire season. Encapsulated it perfectly.

A chance to win...and make a post season tourney...and a bunch of hapless, clueless, scared kids choking when it matters most...with not a one of them with the guts or grit to be the one to finish it off. They needed a COACH to TELL THEM...to COACH them on what to do. One possession that defined the season perfectly.

---
I like hearing that...but he goes about that winning thing in a weird way. That last possession vs Georgia was a microcosm of the entire season. Encapsulated it perfectly.

A chance to win...and make a post season tourney...and a bunch of hapless, clueless, scared kids choking when it matters most...with not a one of them with the guts or grit to be the one to finish it off. They needed a COACH to TELL THEM...to COACH them on what to do. One possession that defined the season perfectly.

The Georgia possession when Barnes called a time out between the free throws and instructed his team what to do? The one where Schofield had an open look for a winning 3-point shot?

Reactions: 2 people
With the incoming recruits, Fulkerson returning healthy, and returning 7 key contributors in Williams, Bone, Turner, Phillips, Schofield, Bowden, and Alexander, and Jalen Johnson also available we should be ready to win 20+ regular season games. Our depth will be really key. If this happens, which I believe it will, with our tough non conference schedule we'll play again next season we will be an NCAA tournament team with a nice RPI and SOS. Should finish top 4 in the league.

VN Store

Back