Rick Barnes: Rank him vs other new SEC coaches....

Since LSU and Missouri fired their coaches, it's hard not to put him close to the bottom. We don't have the Barnes of 15 years ago

Results : losing record at UT, No tournament appearances

Recruiting: hit and miss. Not recruiting at all against the big boys.

Reactions: 3 people
EASY he is last, Drew and White are outstanding young coaches and you know Pearl can out coach him and Johnson was a NBA coach Barnes is not in the same league as the other coaches, Vandy and the Gators are the teams of the future in the east.

Reactions: 2 people
Since LSU and Missouri fired their coaches, it's hard not to put him close to the bottom. We don't have the Barnes of 15 years ago

Results : losing record at UT, No tournament appearances

Recruiting: hit and miss. Not recruiting at all against the big boys.

He is afraid he might land a kid that Texas won't.:eek:hmy:

IMO, Barnes is just passing time and getting paid well for it. Just stale water running thru the pipeline. Hopefully, Hart's last mistake!

Reactions: 8 people
EASY he is last, Drew and White are outstanding young coaches and you know Pearl can out coach him and Johnson was a NBA coach Barnes is not in the same league as the other coaches, Vandy and the Gators are the teams of the future in the east.

I will take Barnes over Pearl. Barnes is is 4-1 vs. Pearl while at Tennessee and 5-3 overall. Nevertheless, I was not a fan of this hire from the start. I still don't see us getting rid of Barnes any sooner than the end of next season.

Reactions: 1 person
Ben Howland
Avery Johnson
Bryce Drew
Bruce Pearl
Mike White

I wanna see what Drew does in the next year or two, people seem to forget he did inherit a NCAAT team, not quite the situation most of those other guys took over. If forced to answer as of today...

White
Drew
Johnson/Barnes
Howland
Pearl

Based on this year and recruiting:

White
Drew
Johnson
Barnes
Howland/Pearl

I expect a drop off at Vanderbilt after next season while they replenish talent. Drew did land 2 4 stars in this cycle and apparently has a chance at Darius Garland.

You clearly haven't been paying attention. How about you actually look at Barnes' record against Pearl and see who out coaches who. Especially when Pearl has had better players.

Reactions: 4 people

Is that why Barnes has won 3 in a row over him with lesser talent genius?

Reactions: 6 people
WE're paying a consistently average coach $2M, we scored under sixty points in the last ten games. This was Drew's first season at candy. :question:

Hard to say right now. White took over a great situation and last year had an ok season ending in the NIT. This year he's done a decent job. Drew took over an NCAA tournament team, and it's looking like he'll take them back. But nothing transformative.

Avery was down last year did a better job this year, but still not making the tourney. Barnes the same way.

Pearl is having trouble gaining traction. Howland hasn't made much of a blip but. Both teams are expected to continue getting better just like us

It's real easy to rank our coaches last when they are having to build from the bottom...first two years of jones and Barnes. I think we are good with Barnes. He had 8 first year Vols this year, and though didn't overwhelm, they certainly modestly over achieved vs expectations.

Reactions: 2 people
It was a lazy, lazy hire.

Compared to who?

Martin? A virtual no name from Missouri St. that most of us had to Google.

Tyndall? A coach that was pretty much a last ditch offer because White and others said no. A coach with serious baggage who was on no one's radar and ended up being a terrible hire.

You can argue he's past his prime, but going after a hall of fame coach isn't even lazy compared to the last 2 hires.

White
Barnes/Johnson
Drew
Howland/Pearl

Going by what they have done at the current schools and taking each situation into account.

For their whole careers.

Barnes/Howland
Johnson
Pearl
White

If you gave Barnes that Vanderbilt team they would be solidly in the tourney and prob 2nd in the SEC.

A better word to describe the hire is "safe."

I think it's both. He is safe to the admin after the Tyndall debacle. No infractions or scandals at least that I'm aware. And lazy in regard to the fans an easy sell due to Barnes name recognition.
I like Barnes the person, but I think his best days as a coach are in the rearview mirror.

VN Store

Back