Why the hatred towards Hubbs?

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
I notice there is a lot of vitriol towards Hubbs on VN. Why is that? Hes 2nd team all SEC, stayed out of trouble, etc.

Is the hatred towards him because he hasnt lived up to recruiting rankings? Like most high rated West TN/Memphis basketball players, he hasnt lived up to recruiting rankings. Is it fair to give him so much blame because the recruiting guys got it wrong AGAIN with another highly rated West TN/Memphis prospect? If Hubbs was a 3* or 4* prospect, would he get the blame he currently gets?

The Univ. of Memphis have had tons of these guys not pan out; however, none get the hatred that I see directed at Hubbs.

Is it his fault that hes ended up a Top 100-150 player (4*) instead of Top 10-15 (5*). Should we point our pitchforks at the people who misranked him instead?

Reactions: 2 people
I probably missed it but why was he sitting the last few minutes? If anyone has the cajones to take that last shot it's him

I notice there is a lot of vitriol towards Hubbs on VN. Why is that? Hes 2nd team all SEC, stayed out of trouble, etc.

Is the hatred towards him because he hasnt lived up to recruiting rankings? Like most high rated West TN/Memphis basketball players, he hasnt lived up to recruiting rankings. Is it fair to give him so much blame because the recruiting guys got it wrong AGAIN with another highly rated West TN/Memphis prospect? If Hubbs was a 3* or 4* prospect, would he get the blame he currently gets?

The Univ. of Memphis have had tons of these guys not pan out; however, none get the hatred that I see directed at Hubbs.

Is it his fault that hes ended up a Top 100-150 player (4*) instead of Top 10-15 (5*). Should we point our pitchforks at the people who misranked him instead?

No! Under no circumstance whatsoever. Fans are star gazers and cannot allow that players are incorrectly "rated" too high or low as HS players. Because he was 5*, they expected AA status or One and Done. Were he a 3* or 4* he would be much more beloved on Rocky Top.

Unfortunately this stupidity is in high supply and no amount of education is ever going to change it. One reason is that "a sucker is born every minute". ie, New people grow up into fandom and are just ignorant of history. For many ignorant people it takes decades to figure out what star gazing really means before they figure it out. Some never do.

Glad we have Robert Hubbs. A quality young man that made us a better team.

Reactions: 8 people
Because he didn't average a triple double and lead us to a championship. Those 5 stars meant he was one of the best b-ball players ever.

You nailed it. Hubbs was never a 5* talent, but our fans don't want to admit that. They want to blame him for failing to meet someone else's unrealistic expectations. He was an undersized PF in high school who was recruited to be a SG/SF. His perimeter game never developed, nor did his handle, so he was rather ineffective outside 12 feet or so.

His leadership was lacking, but some people just aren't leaders. It isn't a character flaw, but some of our fans are wanting to make it one and blame him for not providing something he isn't wired to provide.

Hubbs is what he is, and what he does well, we will miss next year unless Yves Pons, Jalen Johnson, or Admiral Schofield step up to fulfill that roll.

I will never be personally upset at a player who wears the orange and gives it their best shot. That said, I think most believe that Hubbs had more potential. He played well at times this year, but he also seemed to lack an aggressiveness and killer instinct as well. He played much better his last two years, but there might have been even more to give. I wish him the best in the future.

Reactions: 3 people
You nailed it. Hubbs was never a 5* talent, but our fans don't want to admit that. They want to blame him for failing to meet someone else's unrealistic expectations. He was an undersized PF in high school who was recruited to be a SG/SF. His perimeter game never developed, nor did his handle, so he was rather ineffective outside 12 feet or so.

His leadership was lacking, but some people just aren't leaders. It isn't a character flaw, but some of our fans are wanting to make it one and blame him for not providing something he isn't wired to provide.

Hubbs is what he is, and what he does well, we will miss next year unless Yves Pons, Jalen Johnson, or Admiral Schofield step up to fulfill that roll.

This reminds me of Scotty Hopson to a T.

My only problem with Hubbs. If you are a basketball player that wants to get better. You spend time in the gym and get better. Maybe he did. But it never showed on the court. He cant hit a 3 to save his life he is a good free throw shooter. But all he has is that post up turn around jumper. And when that isnt working he disappears. He has had four years to improve his game. Coaching changes has nothing to do with him not getting better on his own. But he stuck it out through all the mess. I give him props for that. He is a VFL.

Reactions: 1 person
Hubbs was one of only 5 on the roster to play in every single game this year and probably should gave taken a few off due to injury.

He didn't quit despite having his first coach quit on him and his second coach's lack of character costing him his job.

He didn't get in trouble off of the court in his entire career.

He was one of the least selfish players that has ever worn the orange. He put the team first.

We could use a RH3 or two in every signing class. He'll be missed.

Reactions: 9 people
We all love Wayne Chism, JP Prince:salute:, Jarnell Stokes and Dane Bradshaw. Prince was a 5* (Rivals), some had Chism Top 30, Bradshaw was Top 100-150 and Stokes was borderline Top 10. All had very good careers but it can be argued none 100% achieved their ranking.

Is there a double standard since these guys played on more talented teams and won more? Or is the W/L the reason for difference

Last edited:
No! Under no circumstance whatsoever. Fans are star gazers and cannot allow that players are incorrectly "rated" too high or low as HS players. Because he was 5*, they expected AA status or One and Done. Were he a 3* or 4* he would be much more beloved on Rocky Top.

Unfortunately this stupidity is in high supply and no amount of education is ever going to change it. One reason is that "a sucker is born every minute". ie, New people grow up into fandom and are just ignorant of history. For many ignorant people it takes decades to figure out what star gazing really means before they figure it out. Some never do.

Glad we have Robert Hubbs. A quality young man that made us a better team.

Me to!!! He played on a smaller west tenn HS team and was probably overrated. He also is a quiet kid and that kind of personality will not change. Played for 3 different coaches and if all 4 years had been under barnes he would have panned out better. He is a VFL.:loco:

My only problem with Hubbs. If you are a basketball player that wants to get better. You spend time in the gym and get better. Maybe he did. But it never showed on the court. He cant hit a 3 to save his life he is a good free throw shooter. But all he has is that post up turn around jumper. And when that isnt working he disappears. He has had four years to improve his game. Coaching changes has nothing to do with him not getting better on his own. But he stuck it out through all the mess. I give him props for that. He is a VFL.

In 4 years, he plays for three different coaches. The fact he did not transfer speaks volumes.

Hubbs led the team in scoring and free throw percentage. As well as minutes per game. Increased his PPG and FT% every year. A member of the 1,000 point club. He gave his all for Tennessee. Not the fieriest player, sure. Not the "leader" type. But he's pretty far down the list of reasons why we're not better than a .500 team.

Hubbs was a good player who led by example rather than say a lot and he will do well with the right team overseas if he chooses to go in that direction.

Oh I agree. Just saying the circumstances of their recruitment/career and the criticisms of each player parallel each other.

Yes. I did see Hubbs make a hustle play in that ole miss game at home where he jumped out of bounds to save it.

If Hubbs or Scotty had ever dove for a loose ball I think I would have fainted.

I think what drove people crazy is the fact Hubbs showed flashes of being a 5* player some games and other games you didn't even know he was on the court, like yesterday. His inconsistency, which is normal for a freshman or sophomore but not your Senior leader, made some fans dislike him. Regardless he stayed out of trouble and seems like a great person and I wish him nothing but the best. I don't think we will miss him that much next season but only time will tell.

Hubbs does have 5 star talent, I think the fan issue is that he doesn't have a 5 star Butch Jones heart.

Hubbs will forever have my respect. The recruiting experts missed on him, he fought injuries his entire career, he played for multiple coaches, yet, he never took his ball and went home. And he and Barnes are to be credited for that.

Last edited:
if you hated on Hubbs, I just feel sorry for you...the young man has been playing hurt for several games...ever had to have your knee drained and try to play in anything...everything is not too bad, except you can't feel anything with the pain medication, and then when it wears off...YOU CAN...:thud:...

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back