Question for the few die-hard here like me

OrngeJuiceJones

There's some of us who post daily, or game by game basis. There are still some die-hard fans like me here and that have been here for years who are passionate and cheer loudly for our Vols. My question is, when we lose close games, or games at the buzzer how do you react? Do you say a few choice words loud then you're over it? Kick a pet? Break things? Today I was so frustrated I had a mild case of Tourettes, and my neighbors now think I'm insane. Just wondering how everyone else reacted today, or other close losses.

P.S. I'm not sober and I'm bored, the reason for this useless post

I cuss like a sailor for about 5 seconds then turn the channel everytime I see Tennessee lose in B-ball or football. I guess you can say I'm an die hard fan who hates losing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I cuss like a sailor for about 5 seconds then turn the channel everytime I see Tennesee lose in B-ball or football. I guess you can say I'm an die hard fan who hates losing.

I hate losing. And I think someone needs to film my reactions, according to some it's hilarious, but others say I need help.

The worst thing I've ever done after a loss, is miss school for two days and barely eat for two days..... that was a year or
Two ago I think.

Reactions: 1 person
The last 10-15 years of Vol sports in general have jaded me to the point that I'm not nearly as affected as I once was. Some would say 10-15 years of perspective and added maturity helped aid that process. 15 years ago for football, 10 years for basketball, a loss literally ruined my day and I was unpleasant to be around. My wife literally dreaded a Tennessee loss, and generally avoided me following one. Not a fact I'm proud of, but my fandom was unquestioned. I'm still a huge fan of both teams, but I'm numb to the idea of losing anymore. It happens far too often unfortunately.

Reactions: 4 people
I hope they win the next one or next season in this case. I root for Tennessee as hard as anyone on here but ill never let it affect me in a negative way. Sure I get upset they couldnt pull out the win but i understand there 18-22 year old kids and anything can happen on any given day. with that being said i still celebrate wins because ill be in a great mood after them.

Reactions: 2 people
There's some of us who post daily, or game by game basis. There are still some die-hard fans like me here and that have been here for years who are passionate and cheer loudly for our Vols. My question is, when we lose close games, or games at the buzzer how do you react? Do you say a few choice words loud then you're over it? Kick a pet? Break things? Today I was so frustrated I had a mild case of Tourettes, and my neighbors now think I'm insane. Just wondering how everyone else reacted today, or other close losses.

P.S. I'm not sober and I'm bored, the reason for this useless post

Go kick the dog! Seriously we are paying an average BB coach to much $$$. :crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
The last 10-15 years of Vol sports in general have jaded me to the point that I'm not nearly as affected as I once was. Some would say 10-15 years of perspective and added maturity helped aid that process. 15 years ago for football, 10 years for basketball, a loss literally ruined my day and I was unpleasant to be around. My wife literally dreaded a Tennessee loss, and generally avoided me following one. Not a fact I'm proud of, but my fandom was unquestioned. I'm still a huge fan of both teams, but I'm numb to the idea of losing anymore. It happens far too often unfortunately.

This is me to a, uh, T.

I hope they win the next one or next season in this case. I root for Tennessee as hard as anyone on here but ill never let it affect me in a negative way. Sure I get upset they couldnt pull out the win but i understand there 18-22 year old kids and anything can happen on any given day. with that being said i still celebrate wins because ill be in a great mood after them.

This works pretty well until your neighbor's dog starts demanding blood sacrifices.

The worst thing I've ever done after a loss, is miss school for two days and barely eat for two days..... that was a year or
Two ago I think.

Oh please do tell more! Which loss was it?

I can think of about 8 of them the made me feel that way in the last two years. Ha!

This is pretty much me except it's more like 5-8 years than 10-15

I have to admit I take it worse when it is football. That takes several days minimum to get over unless it is Vandy or Ky.

Basketball to me is a little less serious. I hate it when we lose, but Like today I just scream a little but get over it fairly soon, same as in baseball and girls Bkball.

If the basketball team was a little more consistent and winning more, I admit I would be more serious about it when losing.

I do love all Vols sports, however, and try to keep up with them as much as possible.

This.

In my late teens to about 30, a loss in everything from football to basketball to even baseball would piss me off for the rest of the day. The loss to UNC in the Sweet 16 in 2000 bummed me out the rest of the weekend.

Now it ticks me off but only for about 15 minutes, and I mostly just kind of shake my head and move on. Part of it is being jaded, but it's mostly I realized letting a game ruin my day is stupid.

it just disappoints me in looking back at how many games we should've won this year .

This is me to a, uh, T.

Me too! Even the part about the wife. Like him, I am not proud of it and it ruined football for her, because she used to like it enough that when it came on she would want to watch it too. That on top of just not being a good example to my kids(did not curse, but still not mature) , I hate that she does not want to watch it.

You'll eventually out grow the behavior. You'll also come to see this along with all other sports as just a game. Passion is one thing but when you carry it to that degree, it's just a bit silly. No offense intended. I'm telling you the progression I went through in over 50 years of following UT sports.

Another thing that comes with time/age, you recognize the UT sports programs for what they are and what they aren't. We aren't bama in football or UK in hoops. Never have been and never will be. Our administration will never let us be more than music city bowl or NIT level. Grab the moments when they come. Keep expectations low and have other things that give you enjoyment. Focus on those and enjoy UT in passing.

VN Store

Back