Did I really just see that?

1985Vols

Possibly the worst last possession in the history of UT basketball with time- outs left. What was Barnes doing, saving them for next year? Why we pay these coaches millions of dollars never ceases to amaze me. Hopefully our new AD will start making some wholesale changes because we have some highly overpaid coaches in our Athletics Dept.

Reactions: 6 people
Possibly the worst last possession in the history of UT basketball with time- outs left. What was Barnes doing, saving them for next year? Why we pay these coaches millions of dollars never ceases to amaze me. Hopefully our new AD will start making some wholesale changes because we have some highly overpaid coaches in our Athletics Dept.

the men have no confidence to take it to the hole IMHO

Reactions: 3 people
that's not coaching...it's watching...seriously...20 sec left and a time out and watch them pass it around outside for a 4 or 5 man to shoot...I feel for the kids...Barnes should just walk away, because he's forgot how to coach...

Reactions: 2 people
Texas knew what they were doing when Barnes was let go. This is not the first time this season that he"mailed it in". He's just collecting a paycheck.

Reactions: 4 people
end of the day we got an open three point shot from a guy shooting 41% for the season. if he hit it georgia wouldn't have had time to get their own shot and we would have been praising how great it was. our seniors combined for 6 points and we held frazier to 4-13 shooting.

even great drawn up plays aren't always executed (inbounds play where williams lost ball on lob). what else were we going too do post williams up and get doubled team for a open three which we had already. or have our freshmen guards drive and attempt to hit a tough layup in which they haven't consistently hit all year. watch out next year we will be tough. go vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 people
You've clearly forgotten the Bruce Pearl days.

Reactions: 4 people
Lately it looks like Rick is a graduate of the Holly Warlick coaching clinic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Bruce has sucked at Auburn.....but he had awesome in bounds plays....best of my remembering
Very good coach for 99% of the game at UT. When it came down to the last 10 seconds; however, he was very sub-par. Bottom line: This wasn't even close to the worst end of game play in UT history.

Reactions: 3 people
end of the day we got an open three point shot from a guy shooting 41% for the season. if he hit it georgia wouldn't have had time to get their own shot and we would have been praising how great it was. our seniors combined for 6 points and we held frazier to 4-13 shooting.

even great drawn up plays aren't always executed (inbounds play where williams lost ball on lob). what else were we going too do post williams up and get doubled team for a open three which we had already. or have our freshmen guards drive and attempt to hit a tough layup in which they haven't consistently hit all year. watch out next year will be tough. go vols!

Some good points, however, our players were panicking and nobody wanted to take the shot. It was unorganized chaos.

Should have called a time out and put in Fulkerson to set a pick for Johnson to hack up a 3. Then Barnes says he quits and drops the mic.

Reactions: 1 person
You've clearly forgotten the Bruce Pearl days.

Forget the best era in UT basketball? Really? I kind of liked going to the big dance every year and getting to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. It was really nice being ranked #1 in the country too, albeit for a short time. You're crazy if you don't think the Pearl days were better than the garbage we have had to watch since he left.

Reactions: 8 people
Forget the best era in UT basketball? Really? I kind of liked going to the big dance every year and getting to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. It was really nice being ranked #1 in the country too, albeit for a short time. You're crazy if you don't think the Pearl days were better than the garbage we have had to watch since he left.

Not even remotely what he said; he's talking about last possessions. Pearl had some stinkers.

The garbage began with Pearl's 6th year. The 1st 5 were sweet.

Looked to me like we took a shot to win the game.

I'm sure I'm wrong, though! And I'm sure y'all will let me know!

Not even remotely what he said; he's talking about last possessions. Pearl had some stinkers.

Sure I understand but you don't remember the poor last possessions as much when you're consistently getting to the Sweet 16 and competing for SEC championships vs. trying to win a first round game to save face for the dam$ NIT!

Sure I understand but you don't remember the poor last possessions as much when you're consistently getting to the Sweet 16 and competing for SEC championships vs. trying to win a first round game to save face for the dam$ NIT!

Then what's the point in asking if it's the worst last possession in history if you're going to leave out part of the history because it was good?

Pearl made the Sweet 16 3 times. How much you want to bet that if he was still here, he'd be getting attacked for only making the SS half the time?

Pearl made the Sweet 16 3 times. How much you want to bet that if he was still here, he'd be getting attacked for only making the SS half the time?

If Pearl were still here, I feel certain we would have been to a couple of Final Fours by now

I thought that I saw Georgia chasing the ball all over the place on the last possession. I don't remember TN players being trapped and in trouble necessitating a TO.

VN Store

Back