Never Too Early: Next Years Depth Chart?

longrobe

PG: Jordan Bone
SG: Jordan Bowden
SF: Yves Pons
PF: Grant Williams
C: John Fulkerson

Backups:

PG: Lamonte Turner
SG: Kwe Parker
SF: Admiral Schofield and Jalen Johnson
PF: Derrick Walker
C: Kyle Alexander and Zach Kent

Am I missing anyone?

How does the depth chart look to everyone else?

Any changes?

I'd definitely have Phillips ahead of Parker at SG. It will be an interesting battle between Alexander and Fulkerson to see who starts at C. I also don't know if Pons starts because I don't know what we have in Jalen Johnson. Admiral could push for the starting spot there too.

I think Alexander starts. I wouldn't be surprised if Jalen Johnson starts at the three or maybe Shembari starts. It will be interesting to see how quick Pons picks up the system.

Last edited:
At the beginning of the season

Bone
Bowden
Admiral
Grant
Alexander

Turner
Johnson
Fulkerson
Phillips
Pons
Parker
Walker

By sec play

Bone
Johnson
Pons
Grant
Walker

6-Parker
7-Fulkerson
8-Bowden
9-admiral
10 Alexander
11 turner

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
At the beginning of the season

Bone
Bowden
Admiral
Grant
Alexander

Turner
Johnson
Phillips
Pons
Parker
Walker

By sec play

Bone
Johnson
Pons
Grant
Walker

6-Parker
7-Bowden
8-Alexander
9-Phillips
10 turner

WAIT, no Fulkerson at all on this?

I think that Pons is too much of a project to start as a true freshman over Bowden. IMO he'll probably stay behind Schofield, Phillips, and Fulkerson too.

I think that Pons is too much of a project to start as a true freshman over Bowden. IMO he'll probably stay behind Schofield, Phillips, and Fulkerson too.

I don't think Pons is going to play over Bowden. He would play the three if I had to guess.

Bone
Bowden
Schofield
Williams
Fulk/Alexander (imo a toss up)

With a deep talented bench.

Pons will be an energy guy coming off of the bench.

Gosh, we have a great bench. I just hope 5 of them become elite on the floor.

I don't think Pons is going to play over Bowden. He would play the three if I had to guess.

Fulkerson really isn't a 5, but he'll play there as well as as a 4 and probably a 3 at times. Probably not so much as a 3 in a wing/wing/HP/LP offensive set with the wings positioning at the 3-point line, but as a 3 like Hubbs that cuts across the paint. I think that Fulkerson will play a lot of high post (see Lew Evans) with Williams down low... and then maybe swap places depending on how they're defended.

There have all sorts of combinations. Phillips plays point and can probably be used as a 4 in some lineups.

Starting lineups are very fluid and flexible. Minutes per game would be a good measure of how much we expect to see each player.

Assuming no freshman redshirts I think Walker gets the most minutes, then Pons, then Kent. I think the 3 upperclassmen all average around 20 minutes each... maybe Alexander only 15 unless he really develops in the summer.

The biggest unknown is going to be who gets the most minutes at PG. It won't surprise me if any of Parker, Bone, Turner, or Phillips emerges as the primary PG. I think that it's even possible that Johnson or Bowden get a look at bringing the ball up court when the opponent doesn't put a lot of pressure on the ball as it's inbounded.

Pons will start. Turner and Parker swap backup duties. Turner at the 2 and Parker at the 1.

Pons starting is far from a certainty. At this time last year, you had Parker starting at PG, and at this point, I'd argue he's shown the least promise of all the freshmen.

You also said Parker would start and have now relegated him to backup

I said he would be a top back up and may start by the SEC. I said he would make a huge leap in the off season and would really make his impact his second year like Westbrook at UCLA. I still believe that. I never thought he would play so timid on offense though. I was also right about Grant Williams. Both of us have made predictions that were wrong on here. I'm still at about 90% though. :dunno:

I think Pons will be similar to Parker. It will depend on how advance his ball handling is and his comfort level to determine if he plays a bunch and maybe starts.

PGs are players that can really improve between their freshman and senior years. Any one of the three freshmen could turn into a really good PG if they work at it. They all have big gaps in their games to improve upon.

I am 100% ok with Parker moving on and a grad transfer PG coming in, I doubt it happens but I would be for it.

It sure seems like if Garland wants to come to UT then a scholarship will have to be found for him. But spots usually open up without having to run somebody off... I won't be surprised if whomever of Bone, Parker, or Turner has the fewest minutes will want to move on.

It sure seems like if Garland wants to come to UT then a scholarship will have to be found for him. But spots usually open up without having to run somebody off... I won't be surprised if whomever of Bone, Parker, or Turner has the fewest minutes will want to move on.

If Garland wanted to come to UT room wouldn't be an issue, however his interest in UT is pretty close to zilch.

If Garland wanted to come to UT room wouldn't be an issue, however his interest in UT is pretty close to zilch.

Room would be an issue if nobody moved on... as it stands today there's not a scholarship opening up for anybody to be added in the 2018 recruiting cycle.

VN Store

Back