Freshman of the Year

Johnnyreb#VFL

Work like heck
During the post game, Barnes said he told Grant Williams he could come in and be freshman of the year in this league, but said he lacked consistency and toughness down the stretch. Said Williams got in the mindset of score, score, score, but only came away with 2-3 rebounds in a few games. He should be a double double player every night.

"He has got to get into better shape, and he will get better because I'm gonna kill him."

We got a special player brewing with a Coach that realizes his potential and will push him to get there. The future is very bright for Grant and this team.

Reactions: 5 people
agree, but, also, to me, it depends on the new players coming in and how they will be able to contribute in the paint, as much as guard play that will define this team next season...we'll see, but yesterday was a heck of a game, and,

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im hoping Walker comes in and is a bigger version of Williams. If he puts in some good time with the trainers like Williams did to transform his body before the season starts. We could have a good front court with Fulkerson returning and if Alexander comes along more next season.

agree, but, also, to me, it depends on the new players coming in and how they will be able to contribute in the paint, as much as guard play that will define this team next season...we'll see, but yesterday was a heck of a game, and,

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah for sure. Guard play gotta step up. I love that relationship Williams and CRB have formed though. He is tough on him, but grant feeds off of that while maintaining a playful banter. It is pretty unique and fun to watch.

Im hoping Walker comes in and is a bigger version of Williams. If he puts in some good time with the trainers like Williams did to transform his body before the season starts. We could have a good front court with Fulkerson returning and if Alexander comes along more next season.

What is up with Alexander? He has shown flashes of dominance but has also been very mediocre for the most part.

What is up with Alexander? He has shown flashes of dominance but has also been very mediocre for the most part.

Still relatively new to the sport. He is learning the game on the big stage whereas most people he plays against grew up playing basketball in competitive settings. Assuming he's putting the work in to develop, Kyle will be better as an upperclassman.

I'm a big fan of GW. I was when they signed him. I expected him to be the kind of player he is. That said, Kentucky will have the Freshman of the Year most yrs in this league unless the kid is POY.

I wish they could have redshirted Alexander. It wasn't his fault he was played too early. I know Tennessee had to have bodies last yr. but he'd be an exciting player for the Vols if he had 3 more yrs. He's got to get real serious this summer.

Still relatively new to the sport. He is learning the game on the big stage whereas most people he plays against grew up playing basketball in competitive settings. Assuming he's putting the work in to develop, Kyle will be better as an upperclassman.

This

Sadly, I don't think Grant has a chance at Freshman Player of the Year. It will go to a Kentucky kid. That being said, he has an incredibly chance at Freshman First Team All SEC. It could be argued he has been our best player this season.

At 6'5" doing what he does on a night to night basis, he does. Give me grant over monk. All day, everyday.

Good grief. So, by that logic, I guess you'd take Isaiah Thomas at 5'8" over LeBron based solely on what he does on a night to night basis? :crazy:

This isn't the effort or underdog award.

Reactions: 1 person
Good grief. So, by that logic, I guess you'd take Isaiah Thomas at 5'8" over LeBron based solely on what he does on a night to night basis? :crazy:

This isn't the effort or underdog award.

Since I strongly dislike lebron, yes. Lol but, you can't tell me that you wouldn't take grant in a game over monk. Monk is streaky, and a liability at times. Grant is always doing something.

Since I strongly dislike lebron, yes. Lol but, you can't tell me that you wouldn't take grant in a game over monk. Monk is streaky, and a liability at times. Grant is always doing something.

Yes, I can unequivocally tell you that if I could trade Grant Williams for Malik Monk on a 1 year basis, I'd make that trade 11 times out of 10.

Also, further proof that you make these irrational statements based on your heart, not your head. You don't have to like LeBron to realize he's one of the 10 best players to ever touch a basketball, ever. I don't like him either, but it doesn't cloud my judgement.

Monk scored in double digits in every game except the last one. He had a 47 point game and had 25 or more 9x. He averages over 20. He's the FOY, but I'd rather have Williams on the roster.

Also, further proof that you make these irrational statements based on your heart, not your head. You don't have to like LeBron to realize he's one of the 10 best players to ever touch a basketball, ever. I don't like him either, but it doesn't cloud my judgement.

Hakeem,Jordan,Russell,Maravich,Kobe,kareem,magic, chamberlain, dr j, Iverson, all over lebron.

4 year player versus 1.

More team oriented.

Position of need.

Isn't Monk kind of a one dimensional player?

I specifically said, "on a 1 year basis". In other words, would I have rather had Monk or Williams on this year's team, I'd take Monk without thinking.

If you want to call Monk a one-dimensional player, well it's a hell of a dimension. He can get to the basket, shoot in the mid-range, and is deadly from three.

As for position of need, I could argue we need a shooter of Monk's caliber as much, if not more maybe, than a 6-5 PF. If Fulk didn't get injured, I feel like he could step in and pick up slack for Williams more so than any guard on our roster could puck up the slack left by the absence of Monk.

I specifically said, "on a 1 year basis". In other words, would I have rather had Monk or Williams on this year's team, I'd take Monk without thinking.

If you want to call Monk a one-dimensional player, well it's a hell of a dimension. He can get to the basket, shoot in the mid-range, and is deadly from three.

As for position of need, I could argue we need a shooter of Monk's caliber as much, if not more maybe, than a 6-5 PF. If Fulk didn't get injured, I feel like he could step in and pick up slack for Williams more so than any guard on our roster could puck up the slack left by the absence of Monk.

He can score. That's it. I don't see him blocking many shots, or fighting to keep possession on an offensive rebound or anything like that.

He can score. That's it. I don't see him blocking many shots, or fighting to keep possession on an offensive rebound or anything like that.

He's a SG. He's not supposed to be blocking shots and offensive rebs from the SG position aren't exactly plentiful. If he's shooting from 23 feet, how many offensive boards are you expecting? It seems like you are creating reasons not to like the guy, and anyone who knows your history knows the real reason.

VN Store

Back