Balancing the classes / future rosters

Thunder Good-Oil

I think that it's important to keep stabilizing the basketball program and to get the classes balanced. Most of Cuonzo's players/commits weren't VFLs and quit (thank you RH3 for sticking around for all 4 years despite having 3 coaches). Most of Tyndall's quit too, or were kicked off for team rules violations, or were only here 2 years as JUCOs. Tyndall's one year was really disruptive... but he was slapping a band aid on the mess that Cuonzo left behind. But, OROH, was CDT violating NCAA rules as well?

I like CRB's plan to try to fill the roster up with mainly 3 and 4 year players. I want to see guys get better over an extended career and minimize the selfishness that would probably be exhibited by ones-and-dones and twos-and-dones. Bone barely played yesterday, but I heard that he was really supportive if his teammates that were playing. I really want to see at least 3 added per year with the attitude that if they work hard their playing time should increase every year. Doesn't mean that they all have to be 3 stars either. But I'd rather have a smart 3 star with an upside and a great attitude over a dumb high 4 or 5 star that can't understand the concept or care to be on a TEAM.

So this year, it was 2 SRs, a JR, 3 SOs, and 7 FR. That's a difficult mix, but it wasn't a disaster.

Next year: 0 SRs, 3 JRs, 5 SOs, and 5 FR.

Then 3 SRs, 5 JRs, 5 SOs, 0 FR. I think that Kent is needed right away, but a RS avoids potentially having zero SRs one year down the road. Of course attrition could come in to play. Hopefully not though (unless a great PG can be added).

There have been a bunch of posters whining to fire CRB, but TN is never going to get a healthy roster of at least 3 per class if the revolving door of coaches continues.

It's going to be really interesting to see if everybody sticks around. Kwe is getting the least PT right now, but didn't he play on the same team as Johnson last year? Maybe he plays better when on the floor while Johnson is in the game at the same time.

I'm optimistic and looking forward to next year. The freshmen look really promising again with Kent, Pons, and Walker as well as Fulkerson and Johnson.

Nice looking roster IMO, despite not having all of the stars that some ignorant posters are so hung up on.

JRs: Phillips/Schofield/Alexander
SOs: Williams/Bowden/Turner/Bone/Parker
FR: Pons/Johnson/Walker/Fulkerson/Kent

Reactions: 4 people
I think that it's important to keep stabilizing the basketball program and to get the classes balanced. Most of Cuonzo's players/commits weren't VFLs and quit (thank you RH3 for sticking around for all 4 years despite having 3 coaches). Most of Tyndall's quit too, or were kicked off for team rules violations, or were only here 2 years as JUCOs. Tyndall's one year was really disruptive... but he was slapping a band aid on the mess that Cuonzo left behind. But, OROH, was CDT violating NCAA rules as well?

I like CRB's plan to try to fill the roster up with mainly 3 and 4 year players. I want to see guys get better over an extended career and minimize the selfishness that would probably be exhibited by ones-and-dones and twos-and-dones. Bone barely played yesterday, but I heard that he was really supportive if his teammates that were playing. I really want to see at least 3 added per year with the attitude that if they work hard their playing time should increase every year. Doesn't mean that they all have to be 3 stars either. But I'd rather have a smart 3 star with an upside and a great attitude over a dumb high 4 or 5 star that can't understand the concept or care to be on a TEAM.

So this year, it was 2 SRs, a JR, 3 SOs, and 7 FR. That's a difficult mix, but it wasn't a disaster.

Then 3 SRs, 5 JRs, 5 SOs, 0 FR. I think that Kent is needed right away, but a RS avoids potentially having zero SRs one year down the road. Of course attrition could come in to play. Hopefully not though (unless a great PG can be added).

There have been a bunch of posters whining to fire CRB, but TN is never going to get a healthy roster of at least 3 per class if the revolving door of coaches continues.

It's going to be really interesting to see if everybody sticks around. Kwe is getting the least PT right now, but didn't he play on the same team as Johnson last year? Maybe he plays better when on the floor while Johnson is in the game at the same time.

I'm optimistic and looking forward to next year. The freshmen look really promising again with Kent, Pons, and Walker as well as Fulkerson and Johnson.

Nice looking roster IMO, despite not having all of the stars that some ignorant posters are so hung up on.

wat do you see as the starting 5 next year. obvious its tough to tell with the freshman if any of them will be read to go as freshman.my guess is though

turner,phillips, schofield,williams,alexander

with bone, bowden, fulkerson, kent being big contributors.

Rick Barnes has an obvious eye for talent and a great history of developing talent. Everyone who doubted his recruiting was wrong. But while he maximizes player talent, he has a history of underachieving team wise. I would like to see him be a little less negative with the team, play a more fast paced offensive style ( like the start of the second half vs Alabama), and motivate his team better. But A+ for roster management and talent evaluation.

wat do you see as the starting 5 next year. obvious its tough to tell with the freshman if any of them will be read to go as freshman.my guess is though

turner,phillips, schofield,williams,alexander

with bone, bowden, fulkerson, kent being big contributors.

Of course it will evolve, but mainly I hope that there will be another post player that can take a lot of attention off of Williams. I want a PG that will be able to get the ball inside.

Maybe: Bone, Bowden, Johnson, Alexander, Williams.

Maybe Walker will be the inside help that's needed if Alexander doesn't take a big step forward.

Really, about the only player out of the 13 that would surprise me if he started would be Zach Kent. I could see any of Bone/Parker/Turner/Phillips be the starting PG since none is far better than the others.

There are just so many possible combinations it's kind of mind numbing. Williams might be the only certain starter. Any of Bowden/Johnson/Turner/Phillips could be the primary 2 guard or wings. Lots of options at the 3/4 too. Fulkerson or Schofiekd or even Williams could play the high post spot that Evans often filled... handling the ball a lot in the half court offense.

I hope that Fulkerson picks up right where he left off. I was surprised how much he was contributing on the offensive end. We were kind of robbed getting to see how good Fulkerson and Williams would have developed as a pair of post players playing together. Those two can block a lot of shots... but Fulkerson might get pushed around in the paint a lot. He'd be great at weak side help with Williams stopping the other team's big from muscling their way to near the basket.

I'm ready for the season to start.

Reactions: 1 person
Pons? Where does he fit. I think his athletesism is much needed. I also think he is a better version of Hubbs.

You are becoming the Rick Barnes version of senior drill.

you say the freshman are impressive - Grant has been outstanding, but the others? Turner and bone played better earlier in the year. Did Bone even play yesterday? Parker needs a ton of work. Bowden shows potential, but I wouldn't say impressive yet.

you say the selfishness of 1 and done players - nope, we sure don't need kind of talent around here

you say the ignorance of posters hung up on stars -
You are excited about beating Bama and possibly going to the NIT while forgetting they just lost to team that has lost 15 out of 16. We need an upgrade in talent.

Bottom line - 2 years in and he's fighting for a NIT spot and the recruiting is average. Barnes will never get UT back to the level Pearl had UT.

Don't want Pearl back by the way

Hopefully, Rick Barnes will stay another 3 years. He really is a tremendous person and coach. I agree with his approach to 3 and 4 year players. IMO, it should be every coach's approach. The idiotic one and done rule prevents that. Shame on the NBA because it's killing the sport on both levels.

Barnes will never get UT back to the level Pearl had UT.

He doesn't have to in order to be successful...making this program a consistent 20+ game winner and constant in the NCAAT would be considered a huge success, even if Tennessee doesn't achieve a #1 ranking for a week.

Reactions: 3 people
2015-2016: 13-18(6-12) 12th place finish
2016-2017: 16-15(8-10) 9th place finish

If 2017-2018 follows the same trend they'd be 19-12(10-8)6th place finish, I think most would sign up for that.

Reactions: 2 people

Smart over dump.
Herein lies the real question and problem. Dumbs that go places where studies aren't worried about or classes are "tailored" to cover for them make for an uneven playing court. Not saying every school doesn't "tailor" to some extent, but to compete with one and done programs where class in somewhat overlook (Ky.) and tailoring schools (many up east) , makes it hard to hang in there on a year to year basis.

He doesn't have to in order to be successful...making this program a consistent 20+ game winner and constant in the NCAAT would be considered a huge success, even if Tennessee doesn't achieve a #1 ranking for a week.

That would be great, but I don't that's going to happen under his watch. The next few years will just be a continuation of the last two years. We don't have the RB of several years ago

That would be great, but I don't that's going to happen under his watch. The next few years will just be a continuation of the last two years. We don't have the RB of several years ago

I'm not sure what bolded means? Year 1 we were pretty bad, finished 12th in the league and didn't even finish .500, this year we finish 9th in the league and up our win total by 3 games and we're being mentioned as a bubble team for a little while.

Hopefully, Rick Barnes will stay another 3 years. He really is a tremendous person and coach. I agree with his approach to 3 and 4 year players. IMO, it should be every coach's approach. The idiotic one and done rule prevents that. Shame on the NBA because it's killing the sport on both levels.

NBA and one and done rule.
This is just a way of seasoning a kid to better allow him to play with men. It saves the NBA one year's pay and gives them a year of free advertisement for incoming stars (they hope) thanks to TV coverage of college games. This need to be like football, must stay til Jrs. (usually). Baseball? Well that's a whole nother story.

I'm not sure what bolded means? Year 1 we were pretty bad, finished 12th in the league and didn't even finish .500, this year we finish 9th in the league and up our win total by 3 games and we're being mentioned as a bubble team for a little while.

Around 15/16 wins. Finishing in the middle or lower of the SEC

Kentucky, Tennessee and Auburn are tied for 1st place with 3 freshman each that finished in the top 15 of PPG in the SEC

It would be so simple change the rule just like baseball if you come to school got to stay 3 years if you wont to go to the NBA go after your senior year in high school the basketball would be a lot better.:rock:

I want it and I want it now...just doesn't work all the time does it...yes, baby steps, but it is in the right direction...I just hope Coach Barnes will stay at least another 2-3 years to establish better recruiting potential and development of the kids he does recruit...of course winning does help...and, as always...

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are becoming the Rick Barnes version of senior drill.

you say the freshman are impressive - Grant has been outstanding, but the others? Turner and bone played better earlier in the year. Did Bone even play yesterday? Parker needs a ton of work. Bowden shows potential, but I wouldn't say impressive yet.

you say the selfishness of 1 and done players - nope, we sure don't need kind of talent around here

you say the ignorance of posters hung up on stars -
You are excited about beating Bama and possibly going to the NIT while forgetting they just lost to team that has lost 15 out of 16. We need an upgrade in talent.

Bottom line - 2 years in and he's fighting for a NIT spot and the recruiting is average. Barnes will never get UT back to the level Pearl had UT.

1. One of youngest teams in college basketball.
2. One of the shortest teams in college basketball.
3. Unfortunate injuries to Hubbs, and Fulkerson.
4. Preseason picked to finish 13th and finished 9th.
5. Yves Pons 4* freak coming in next year along with 2 top 250 players in Walker jr. and Kent according to 247.
6. Grant Williams impressive freshman, Bowden good freshman, Bone not the same after injury early in year, Turner flashed potential, Johnson unknown, Fulkerson impressive freshman, Parker to me is the only disappointment and may not stick around who knows.

You're way off base with what all you're saying. As usual you're the most negative unrealistic poster on this site, and with a preseason 13/14 team in the league finishing 9th and somehow making it to the NIT is disappointing to you? Even being in NCAA tourney conversation this year was a big achievement for a very young short team. I guarantee that this is a 20 win NCAA tournament team next year, and I wouldn't be surprised with an upset or 2 in the SEC tournament this year. Tired of VOLS fans who can't see things realistically. This team surpassed my expectations this season, and if they didn't surpass your expectations then you're kidding yourself.

Reactions: 3 people
My possible starting lineup for next season looks like this........

PG= Bone
SG= Bowden
SF= Schofield
PF= Williams
C= Alexander

Bench

PG= Turner and Kwe Parker
SG= Shembari Phillips or Johnson
SF= Pons to start the season and he could move into the starting lineup later depending on how quickly he picks up the system.
PF= Walker and Fulkerson
C= Kent

This roster will push each other for minutes next season.

Last edited:
So you look at clear improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 and with 3/4 of production returning decide that they'll regress? Interesting.

Improvement? How about the point guards? Are they improving? What's the record the last two weeks? Uninspired play until the 2nd half yesterday. Is that on the coach? You must've not watched the LSU game.

Interesting. I guess you overlooked those things, but I guess making the tournament and bringing in talent capable of finishing in the upper half of the conference isn't important to those who settle for mediocrity

1. One of youngest teams in college basketball.
2. One of the shortest teams in college basketball.
3. Unfortunate injuries to Hubbs, and Fulkerson.
4. Preseason picked to finish 13th and finished 9th.
5. Yves Pons 4* freak coming in next year along with 2 top 250 players in Walker jr. and Kent according to 247.
6. Grant Williams impressive freshman, Bowden good freshman, Bone not the same after injury early in year, Turner flashed potential, Johnson unknown, Fulkerson impressive freshman, Parker to me is the only disappointment and may not stick around who knows.

You're way off base with what all you're saying. As usual you're the most negative unrealistic poster on this site, and with a preseason 13/14 team in the league finishing 9th and somehow making it to the NIT is disappointing to you? Even being in NCAA tourney conversation this year was a big achievement for a very young short team. I guarantee that this is a 20 win NCAA tournament team next year, and I wouldn't be surprised with an upset or 2 in the SEC tournament this year. Tired of VOLS fans who can't see things realistically. This team surpassed my expectations this season, and if they didn't surpass your expectations then you're kidding yourself.

Not making the tournament should be a disappointment to all fans. Like many, you just forgot how they played the last few weeks because they won yesterday.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back