Rocky Top League 2017

Thunder Good-Oil

http://www.rockytopbasketballleague.com

Their website is notoriously slow for updating with the current year's information.

Last year it was at Catholic High School (just east of Cedar Bluff Road and about 1/2 mile north of I-40). Go north on CB and AFTER passing Pilot/Dunkin Donuts on your left, turn right at, I think, the 2nd stop light. The 1st stop light is Dutchtown Road.

It typically ends just before the July 4th holiday. Starts around June 15th. 6 teams, round robin for 2 1/2 weeks and then the last day (the 6th day) has #4 play #3 and then #1 versus #2 for the championship.

Last year all of the newcomers except for Lew Evens were supposed to play. I wonder in Pons makes it across the Pond in time to participate. I'm also wondering if Fulkerson plays... it's probably not worth the risk.

Last year Grant Williams was not impressive in the RTL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Their website is notoriously slow for updating with the current year's information.

Last year it was at Catholic High School (just east of Cedar Bluff Road and about 1/2 mile north of I-40). Go north on CB and AFTER passing Pilot/Dunkin Donuts on your left, turn right at, I think, the 2nd stop light. The 1st stop light is Dutchtown Road.

It typically ends just before the July 4th holiday. Starts around June 15th. 6 teams, round robin for 2 1/2 weeks and then the last day (the 6th day) has #4 play #3 and then #1 versus #2 for the championship.

Last year all of the newcomers except for Lew Evens were supposed to play. I wonder in Pons makes it across the Pond in time to participate. I'm also wondering if Fulkerson plays... it's probably not worth the risk.

Last year Grant Williams was not impressive in the RTL.

Naw pons won't be there bc of how his school system is set up.

Naw pons won't be there bc of how his school system is set up.

Bummer. I hope he gets to Knoxville soon after that. He may not be able to contribute much his freshman year if he doesn't get a lot of court time with his UT teammates over the summer.

I wish it was on the North end of Knoxville instead of so far out for me. I plan on going again this year the good Lord willing. Looking forward to seeing the LMU guys and other small college players compete with upper level talent. It's sort of like watching the NBA all star game at least on the defensive side. A wave and a slap on the back is as defensive as it gets.

Probably 12 weeks/83 days away.

I was looking at some of the results from last year. Most interesting thing that I saw was that Mostella was by far the leading scorer at 50+ PPG (Lemonte was #2 with about 37 PPG). Mostella's team came in dead last... although it's only 5 games.

Last edited:
I wonder if Tony Jones will coach the H3 Sports team... assuming they are again a team sponsor.

H3 is affiliated with the guy behind EdAmerica. They have several sports related properties including recently buying Avalon Golf Course (for less than $1,000,000 which included the clubhouse... a steal) and Johnny Long Training. H3 also has the baseball academy on Center Park Drive.

Last edited:

Still no update. The RTL probably starts 4, maybe 5, weeks from this Monday, 5/15/2017. I'm guessing Monday June 12th if they plan to finish just before July 4th as usual. 7/4/2017 is a Tuesday.

In years past the KNS has been quicker to provide updates than their actual website has. Should start hearing about team sponsors, players, the draft and the game schedule pretty soon, here.

It's not the most fundamental or defensive-oriented league but it's a good way for our guys to stay in shape and get shots up over the summer.

In years past the KNS has been quicker to provide updates than their actual website has. Should start hearing about team sponsors, players, the draft and the game schedule pretty soon, here.

It's not the most fundamental or defensive-oriented league but it's a good way for our guys to stay in shape and get shots up over the summer.

Get an up close look at the players too. Also, the first look at most of the new signees. Ron Slay might make an appearance this year. And it's free!

And no doubt... the KNS will have updates first. That website is very slow to update... might not be changed until a couple of days before the start. The draft a week before usually gets some local coverage.

I hope it's at Catholic again. I liked Bearden too... even without the AC in the gym (it was cool in the hallway heading up to the classrooms). I didn't like Christian Academy.

Reactions: 2 people
It's probably a given that Daniel will play in the RTL, right? A good opportunity to shake off the rust after his injury year..

VN Store

Back