5th Bama 9-7 Miss @TN (beat VU)
5th Miss 9-7 @Bama USC (beat VU)
7th Vandy 9-7 @KY FL
8th GA 8-8 Aub @Ark

• 9th TN 7-9 @LSU Bama
    (L: Ark/FL/USC/Miss/MSU/GA/KY/VU/USC)
    (W: A&M/Vandy/MSU/KY/Aub/Miss/Mizz)

10th A&M 7-9 @Mizz KY (lost to TN)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No SECT first day bye:

11th Aub 6-10 @GA Mizz
12th MSU 5-11 @USC LSU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
13th Mizz 2-14 A&M @Aub
14th LSU 1-15 TN @MSU

======================================
The double bye is now out of play. The single bye hasn't been locked up... opening night is still a possibility.

One more win keeps TN from playing an opening night game.

Still need two wins to guarantee a winning record.
======================================
14 v 11
13 v 12
5 v 12/13 (versus 4)
6 v 11/14 (versus 3)
7 v 10 (versus 2)
8 v 9 (versus 1)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Looks like best we could possibly do is 6th

Maybe 5th. The tie breaker would come into play. TN would have it over Bama. Split with Miss.

Edit... the Ole Miss v Bama game means that winner will have at least one more win than TN. 6th looks like the best finish.

Last edited:
At this point, I'm just hoping for a 34th game to ensure that Fulkerson will have played in less than 30% of the games. The first SECT game will be No. 32. If the NCAA applies the rule with no wiggle room, we need to earn two additional games. I'm pulling this from the below article. 30% of 33 is 9.9, and he's played in 10 games. So, one SECT win and an NIT appearance would do the job. It's interesting that the team's performance impacts a medical redshirt decision.

Kingsport native John Fulkerson likely done for the season with wrist injury | WJHL

Reactions: 1 person
At this point, I'm just hoping for a 34th game to ensure that Fulkerson will have played in less than 30% of the games. The first SECT game will be No. 32. If the NCAA applies the rule with no wiggle room, we need to earn two additional games. I'm pulling this from the below article. 30% of 33 is 9.9, and he's played in 10 games. So, one SECT win and an NIT appearance would do the job. It's interesting that the team's performance impacts a medical redshirt decision.

Kingsport native John Fulkerson likely done for the season with wrist injury | WJHL

The NCAA rounds up. He meets the 30% rule no matter how many games TN plays the rest of the way.

Reactions: 1 person
The NCAA rounds up. He meets the 30% rule no matter how many games TN plays the rest of the way.

Which part is rounded up?
30% of 32 is 9.6. Rounding that up would be 10, which would mean he didn't play in less than 30%. He would have played in exactly 30%. Just in case that's what they do, I'm hoping we play a 34th game.

I think that TN's "magic number" to avoid a first day game is 1. TN has the tie breaker versus Auburn and A&M. They split with MSU, but with 1 more win MSU can not catch TN.

Last edited:
30% of 32 is 9.6. Rounding that up would be 10, which would mean he didn't play in less than 30%. He would have played in exactly 30%. Just in case that's what they do, I'm hoping we play a 34th game.

10 games was the cutoff, he's good as is, if he had played in 11 then we'd need extra games.

They allow them to play in 30% of the games. They round that number up. Fulkerson is allowed to play in 10 games to meet the 30% rule requirement in order to be eligible for a medical hardship waiver.

If Vols lose 1 if next 2, we need 1 win in SEC tourney even to make NIT. Lose both games before SEC tourney we may not make NIT.🤔😳😮

Does the NIT only consider D1 games?
That's 15-16 without Chaminade.

I'm sure that the selection committee has that somewhere in their criteria when evaluating teams, but the NIT dropped the requirement of a .500 record or better about 10 years ago. No team has made the field with a sub .500 record, but I don't know if a team at exactly .500 has made the field with a non D-1 win.

I'm pretty sure that beating KY and playing competitively versus UNC, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, and Oregon is enough to make the NIT field.

I'm sure that the selection committee has that somewhere in their criteria when evaluating teams, but the NIT dropped the requirement of a .500 record or better about 10 years ago. No team has made the field with a sub .500 record, but I don't know if a team at exactly .500 has made the field with a non D-1 win.

I'm pretty sure that beating KY and playing competitively versus UNC, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, and Oregon is enough to make the NIT field.

I think the NIT made it more scientific a few years ago, with the RPI deciding all at-large NIT bids.
If they dropped sub-.500 records as a disqualifier, then we just need a high enough RPI after the regular season champs who miss the Dance take their spots.

I think the NIT made it more scientific a few years ago, with the RPI deciding all at-large NIT bids.
If they dropped sub-.500 records as a disqualifier, then we just need a high enough RPI after the regular season champs who miss the Dance take their spots.

I couldn't find much on NIT selection criteria. TV ratings and interesting matchups probably carry a lot of weight. TN will be in the top 20 in attendance. So despite the drive by negative posters, TN probably has exhibited enough fan support to help their cause. The best thing to do is to win at least 2 more and erase most of the doubt.

I couldn't find much on NIT selection criteria. TV ratings and interesting matchups probably carry a lot of weight. TN will be in the top 20 in attendance. So despite the drive by negative posters, TN probably has exhibited enough fan support to help their cause. The best thing to do is to win at least 2 more and erase most of the doubt.

Our attendance at home NIT games doesn't match the regular season attendance. It's usually very low. If they care about TV and attendance, then sending us to play a mid-major at their house makes more sense.

Our attendance at home NIT games doesn't match the regular season attendance. It's usually very low. If they care about TV and attendance, then sending us to play a mid-major at their house makes more sense.

TN would therefore sell more seats at the mid-major. Also, percentage of capacity isn't relevant. 5,000 in the TBA is still more than 4,000 in UT-C's arena.

VN Store

Back