Barnes must have spring break plans

wmcovol

Letting Vandy, with no PG, walk the ball up the court the first half was coaching malpractice. Worst game of the yr in the biggest game of the yr.

Whoever ends up AD, I hope they end this semi retirement for a guy we owe nothing to and hire a real basketball coach.

Reactions: 11 people
Yea, this was totally thread worthy. How about you just stop posting and be proud of your team?

Reactions: 19 people
Curious, why is his assistants coaching the huddles? I would think with the kind of money he gets he could do it!

Reactions: 1 person
This team is still on par for the NIT which is where most thought this team was

This team has two more games vs teams better than Vandy. Losses there and u can kiss your NIT dreams goodbye also.

No excuse to play that lackadaisical in 1st half of that game. Zero life. That's on the HC

You may not want to hear this, but Tennessee has overachieved this season.

Some of y'all act like the program wasn't a total and complete dumpster fire 5 minutes ago.

Run off a coach that took you to the Sweet 16 and hire a guy who gets a show cause penalty within a year and some of y'all act surprised that it's going to take more than 2 years.

Personally, and I never thought much of Barnes, this season has been a damn miracle for Tennessee

Reactions: 27 people

Some of y'all act like the program wasn't a total and complete dumpster fire 5 minutes ago.

Run off a coach that took you to the Sweet 16 and hire a guy who gets a show cause penalty within a year and some of y'all act surprised that it's going to take more than 2 years.

Personally, and I never thought much of Barnes, this season has been a damn miracle for Tennessee

Save your breath. Many on here are too upset over this loss and don't want anything positive said about Barnes and this team.

Coming into the year I thought making the NIT would be a successful season.

The team seems to be fizzling out at the end which is a disappointing way to end the season.

Reactions: 2 people
Rick Barnes devised a well executed plan for his team to miss 75 pct of their shots. He obviously has spring break plans. Seems legit. Totally his fault.

Reactions: 5 people
It would certainly be much easier to feel optimistic about our basketball program's future if Barnes would put in some effort on the recruiting trail. Desmond Oliver ain't getting it done. He apparently has no clue how to woo and reign in the high-caliber big men it's going to take to shore up this team's weaknesses in the post.

Reactions: 4 people
Rick Barnes devised a well executed plan for his team to miss 75 pct of their shots. He obviously has spring break plans. Seems legit. Totally his fault.

Didn't you know that? Barnes felt that they have shot too well this season, and needed to bring that percentage down.

Letting Vandy, with no PG, walk the ball up the court the first half was coaching malpractice. Worst game of the yr in the biggest game of the yr.

Whoever ends up AD, I hope they end this semi retirement for a guy we owe nothing to and hire a real basketball coach.
So a coach who has been to the tournament 22 times, the sweet 16 6 times, the elite 8 3 times, and a final four isn't a real coach?

We were picked to finish 13th in the SEC this year, and most thought we would be lucky to make the NIT. Rick Barnes has overachieved with this team. I understand your frustration, but to say that he isn't a real coach is a ridiculous claim. We're lucky to have a coach with a background as impressive as his.

Reactions: 15 people
So a coach who has been to the tournament 22 times, the sweet 16 6 times, the elite 8 3 times, and a final four isn't a real coach?

We were picked to finish 13th in the SEC this year, and most thought we would be lucky to make the NIT. Rick Barnes has overachieved with this team. I understand your frustration, but to say that he isn't a real coach is a ridiculous claim. We're lucky to have a coach with a background as impressive as his.

Great first post.

Reactions: 3 people
Losses to SC and Bama (very likely) will probably end all of these NIT dreams.

Playing in front of 3000 fans in Knoxville or on the road in Evansville isn't what I call March Madness.

I realize some here would be happy with that but the opportunity to earn a NCAA bid was there and they blew it to a .500 team basically. AT HOME. You have to take the opportunities when they are there. No guarantee they'll get another chance soon. Hubbs won't that's for sure.

I know some here think this program is NCAA lock the next 3 yrs but that's not guaranteed. Dan Marino thought he'd play in more than one Super Bowl too

Reactions: 3 people
UT had no answer for Kornet and they did not guard the 3 ball tonight.

The point guards had too many turnovers tonight but Kwe Parker looked good on defense and had a nice assist and 3 pointer.

So typical of the stupid portion of our fanbase. And I don't say that because of the 10% logic you incorporated into your thoughts. I say it because of the other 90% emotional hyperbole that you allowed to move from your brain to your fingertips before willfully pressing "submit reply".

You're right. This was a bad coaching job tonight, and his players didn't look ready or prepared. That's on him. But this team led by mostly FR and SO players has overachieved and beaten several teams that were more talented. That's on him also. This wasn't an NCAA tournament team three months ago, and they most likely still aren't unless they win out and go 2-1 in the SECT That isn't news. He's coached this team to a better record than I envisioned and he's proven to be a pretty good developer of talent.

To suggest we just toss him after one loss is irrational. It does the program no good. I have no idea why people like you think that's the answer not even two years into his tenure. It's not like he's been an abject failure, but after every loss, the emotional dolts come out of the woodwork and act like we employee a church league coach who's got a 10-53 record.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people

I'm a big Barnes fan and can see what he's building. However, we did not run off Cuonzo. He was awful and barely made they NCAAT with 3 future NBA players on the team. He knew Stokes was gone and he was gonna be garbage the next season. He ducked out because his stock was as high as it would be. He ran.

Reactions: 8 people
UT shot less than 30%. You won't beat a JUCO team doing that. It is what it is. Win out, get the SEC tourney final and they are in.

Lose 2 or 3 more and we may end up 11th or 12th. Doesn't this loss put us at 8th now?

VN Store

Back