Student Section

PackersVols91

There were like 3 people in the student section yesterday. Even last week at the Georgia game I went to, there was barely any student support. I don't understand why no one cares. You would think we were 7-19 based on how many show up. What gives?

There were like 3 people in the student section yesterday. Even last week at the Georgia game I went to, there was barely any student support. I don't understand why no one cares. You would think we were 7-19 based on how many show up. What gives?

It used to not be like that. I'm not sure. Is the university doing enough to get the students involved or care about coming to a game?

I noticed yesterday that they've even put chairs back in the entire "mosh pit" to try and entice students with a chair to rest their poor weary legs.

One guy standing in the student section every game is bald and looks about 40 years old. He is definitely not a student though because he actually jumps and cheers.

Although, it always makes me smile when I see him go crazy during the Sports Clips promotion time out. He definitely doesn't need a free hair cut, but he just likes to cheer for his team like students did back in the old days.

The lack of student support is baffling to me. I guess coaches have to take their shirts off and stand on tables in the cafeteria to entice kids to go cheer on their basketball team for free. Ridiculous imo.

Reactions: 5 people

You do realize section 123 is a student section, right? It's not just the baseline section beside the pep band.

Reactions: 1 person
Open the student section up to anyone that wants to move down there about 30 minutes before tip. It would fill up and create a more exciting environment.

Reactions: 4 people
They need to get rid of those stupid couches and tables. They get too comfortable and don't want to stand up and cheer.

Reactions: 3 people
I noticed yesterday that they've even put chairs back in the entire "mosh pit" to try and entice students with a chair to rest their poor weary legs.

One guy standing in the student section every game is bald and looks about 40 years old. He is definitely not a student though because he actually jumps and cheers.

Although, it always makes me smile when I see him go crazy during the Sports Clips promotion time out. He definitely doesn't need a free hair cut, but he just likes to cheer for his team like students did back in the old days.

The lack of student support is baffling to me. I guess coaches have to take their shirts off and stand on tables in the cafeteria to entice kids to go cheer on their basketball team for free. Ridiculous imo.

I think that old guy might be a student. If so good for him.

I was a freshman during Buzz Petersons last year and more students turned out than they do now. The difference is that students didn't have that standing section. They sat in the corner section of the arena. The standing area came w Pearl and of course there was more excitement and student turnout. If this is the best they can muster then perhaps they get rid of it and go back to the way it was?

Students now days as a general rule would rather stay and play Xbox or whatever that is they play. We are seeing it in job employment and we are seeing in general society ..,they are just different today... after all they might see or hear something at the game that might melt their snow.... and they would have to spend weeks in therapy....

Reactions: 3 people
Students now days as a general rule would rather stay and play Xbox or whatever that is they play. We are seeing it in job employment and we are seeing in general society ..,they are just different today... after all they might see or hear something at the game that might melt their snow.... and they would have to spend weeks in therapy....

I think your opinion is pure bull, no disrespect.

Wanting to go to work to be a wage slave is far different than wanting to go to a basketball game on campus.

Reactions: 7 people
I'm a Millennial

to lump all millennials into one category tells more about you than insults millennials IMO. (I saw a guy in the recruiting forum (I believe) complaining about acronyms, so: IMO = "in my opinion")

* I promise I won't cry about anything that was said about my generation and will also respectfully decline your offering of a safe space

Reactions: 6 people
A lot of it has to do with other activities going on in the student's lives. I know Boxing Weekend was the same weekend as the UGA game and that's a huge fundraiser so a lot of the sororities and fraternities were going to that instead of the game.

A lot of it has to do with other activities going on in the student's lives. I know Boxing Weekend was the same weekend as the UGA game and that's a huge fundraiser so a lot of the sororities and fraternities were going to that instead of the game.

true. I texted my little brother and asked if he was at the uga game, but he said he was at boxing weekend.

so that scheduling should fall on frats/sororities. if they decide to throw a big event when we have a home basketball game, they can easily and greatly affect the student attendance numbers. not sure why they'd schedule during a home game weekend, personally, but that's just me

Institute a priority system. Students earn a point for each game they go to. Seating then is handed out according to priority. Go to every game? Earn the right to move down to the best seating and stay there if you keep going to the games.

The best seating comes with free food.

Have a competition between campus organizations that would reward those with the most priority points.

Somebody over there just needs to quit accepting the mediocre turnout and do something about it.

Reactions: 2 people
Institute a priority system. Students earn a point for each game they go to. Seating then is handed out according to priority. Go to every game? Earn the right to move down to the best seating and stay there if you keep going to the games.

The best seating comes with free food.

Have a competition between campus organizations that would reward those with the most priority points.

Somebody over there just needs to quit accepting the mediocre turnout and do something about it.

Who's to decide what the "best seating" would be? Many want to be in seats and not stand the whole time. Many may not want the front row of the sstanding section because not much can be seen right behind the basket. There's a lot of variables in what you're asking.

Bottom line is that students are gonna need to see more winning to show up in large numbers.

Agree. Today's students are the biggest fair weather fans around. When I was in school we went to every game, regardless of the record.

I have no basis for this, but I imagine that attendance would decline for even, say, a Duke, if they were only a few games above .500. Just like our attendance dropped when Dooley was coach.

You say "how can attendance drop a a basketball/football/(insert sport) power?". W/Ls have a lot to do with it.

I mean, look at the lady vols attendance. Any rational-minded person can see the correlation (dare say, causation?) with the W/Ls and the attendance

Trust me, I understand there are differences between fans (of all ages) today vs in the past. There is much more for the sports to compete against. So if you don't win and fans don't see a good product, feel "connected" to the team, etc. they may spend a saturday binge watching a TV show on Netflix. The hell if I know. But things like Netflix didn't take many fans away from games in the 60s, 70s, 80s, as far as I know.

*having said that, I never missed a home football game (even went to a bunch of away games), and only a few home basketball games (a few at the start of the year (November), and a few mid-week games when I was swamped with stuff. but even then, I usually just planned hw/projects around the game)

Reactions: 2 people
I have no basis for this, but I imagine that attendance would decline for even, say, a Duke, if they were only a few games above .500. Just like our attendance dropped when Dooley was coach.

You say "how can attendance drop a a basketball/football/(insert sport) power?". W/Ls have a lot to do with it.

I mean, look at the lady vols attendance. Any rational-minded person can see the correlation (dare say, causation?) with the W/Ls and the attendance

Trust me, I understand there are differences between fans (of all ages) today vs in the past. There is much more for the sports to compete against. So if you don't win and fans don't see a good product, feel "connected" to the team, etc. they may spend a saturday binge watching a TV show on Netflix. The hell if I know. But things like Netflix didn't take many fans away from games in the 60s, 70s, 80s, as far as I know.

*having said that, I never missed a home football game (even went to a bunch of away games), and only a few home basketball games (a few at the start of the year (November), and a few mid-week games when I was swamped with stuff. but even then, I usually just planned hw/projects around the game)

Interesting the Millenials attendance at games is a reflection of W-L record since they have been raised in a society where " everybody wins and gets a trophy" vs. my generation where we only got a trophy for first place. This year's BB team is arguably the most entertaining team since CBP was coaching. Thy are definitely an overachieving bunch and deserve as much support as possible the next couple of weeks as they try to play their way into the Big Dance.

Interesting the Millenials attendance at games is a reflection of W-L record since they have been raised in a society where " everybody wins and gets a trophy" vs. my generation where we only got a trophy for first place. This year's BB team is arguably the most entertaining team since CBP was coaching. Thy are definitely an overachieving bunch and deserve as much support as possible the next couple of weeks as they try to play their way into the Big Dance.

I'm not arguing that. I 100% agree

The attendance as a whole is a reflection (at least somewhat correlated) with W/Ls. students aren't the only reason of attendance shortfalls in women's bball, in football...

I always find it interesting when somebody older criticizes the younger millenials. Who were they raised by? Who made up the "everybody gets a trophy"? pretty sure it wasn't millenials...

VN Store

Back