The National Anthem at the TBA

Thunder Good-Oil

I've noticed something kind of weird that happens during the Star-Spangled Banner at home games. Every coach and manager, every true freshmen, all 3 walk-ons, and both seniors put their hand over their heart and face the color guard. The sophomores and the RS freshman don't have their hands over their hearts. 2 or 3 of them hang their heads and stare at their feet. Those 4 stand together. Again, I just find it weird. It's not really disrespectful (except possibly the looking downward part... but then again, people do that while they pray) and I'm not criticizing them. After the song has played and the color guard marches off, they do respectfully face the CG and the flag until it has been marched completely off of the court (something that most of the crowd fails to do). I probably wouldn't have even noticed if they didn't stand together.

I just find it strange that they stand together. They aren't pulling an ass hat move by sitting on the bench or turning away or (god forbid) taking a knee... but I wonder if there's some kind of passive/aggressive diss going on. AS surprises me since he's from a military family... but he also had that mysterious suspension. KA is from Canada... so other than standing with the other 3, not much going on there IMO.

Again, I'm not saying they shouldn't have this routine... that's their right. I just kind of wish they'd show unity with every team mate and coach. I also wish they'd look at the flag instead of their Nikes.

BTW, I'm not 100% certain that it's SP rather than one of the freshmen guards... but I'm a gonna pay it some more attention this Saturday.

Flame away at me. That's the VN BB Forum protocol.

Reactions: 4 people
Be sure to keep us all updated.

I know it's silly. But I just got so many questions. And it's a good distraction away from GA and KY.

Intentionally trying to draw attention to themselves?

Why are they standing together? Their choice or did Barnes tell them to do that?

Is this some kind of an "alliance"?

Are the ones looking away from the flag making a statement?

Why are they all from the same signing class (assuming #4 is SP)?

Is there any friction with Barnes?

If they are making a statement, is it political or a passive aggressive move directed at CRB?

Did they want to do a Kapernick but CRB put his foot down and made a compromise... (You don't have to put your hand over your heart, but you do have to stand in the line with your teammates)?

This would have been a good time for some insight from AuntieDee. There's definitely something going on... I'm just curious if it's at all contentious or just a few guys expressing their individuality and not thinking it's a big deal at all.

Reactions: 1 person
Been wondering the same thing myself. Noticed it from the start of the season. I have noticed the team does open up and follow the color guard out and stay until they are off the court which looks very respectful in itself. Will probably never know the real story. I have always felt this is one time during an event that all should be able to come on common ground and show respect for those who fought and enabled us our freedom. Have a little 3 year old grandson that automatically stands, puts his hand over his heart as soon as he sees the color guard come on the court.(got to sometimes help him with the correct side for his heart lol), and stays as still as a 3 year old can until the guard exits. Makes this one proud Papaw. By the way, all those here on the board that have served or are currently serving (be it the armed services, police, or fire) thanks for all you have and currently do.
:salute:

Reactions: 3 people
Appreciate the OP noticing this. Proper respect for our flag & the Star-Spangled Banner are important, & there are proper ways to perform the Anthem & listen.:hi:

Reactions: 6 people
I know it's silly. But I just got so many questions. And it's a good distraction away from GA and KY.

Intentionally trying to draw attention to themselves?

Why are they standing together? Their choice or did Barnes tell them to do that?

Is this some kind of an "alliance"?

Are the ones looking away from the flag making a statement?

Why are they all from the same signing class (assuming #4 is SP)?

Is there any friction with Barnes?

If they are making a statement, is it political or a passive aggressive move directed at CRB?

Did they want to do a Kapernick but CRB put his foot down and made a compromise... (You don't have to put your hand over your heart, but you do have to stand in the line with your teammates)?

This would have been a good time for some insight from AuntieDee. There's definitely something going on... I'm just curious if it's at all contentious or just a few guys expressing their individuality and not thinking it's a big deal at all.
Seems like there's a lot of questions being asked on a grander scale! Wonder if that has anything to do with their demeanor? :dunno:

Moral of the story: win basketball games and be decent young men.

And this coming from a 21 Marine Corps veteran and police officer.

The putting your hand over your heart is no big deal to me, never done it before in my life. As a society we come up with these meaningless gestures and want to shame people that dont follow suit. I have never put my hand over my heart and i would put the sacrifices ive made for this country against anyones.

As for the rest of the stuff, if they are not acting like idiots and using it to make a statement, have at it. Thats what we are here for. I support those kids because im a vols fan not because i agree or disagree with some political issue. If they are trying to make a statement, i would say that statement is stupid. I would have done anything to have the opportunity to do what they are getting to do. But what can you expect when the folks they look up to are making fools of themselves every chance they get. If they are doing some sort of protest, commend them on doing it the right way. Now go win basketball games!

And by the way players, tough game last night but you all have done a great job this season.

Reactions: 7 people
I don't believe Francis Scott Key meant for the national anthem to be associated with some silly sports event, so a sports arena, or a stadium, is just the wrong venue in the first place. He wrote it as a paean to the glory of the nation, not as an intro to Team A vs. Team B. The Star Spangled Banner is the only national anthem we have. It deserves more respect than to be associated primarily with sports.

I place my hand on my heart and look at the flag (either color guards or hanging in the arena). I don't notice what others are doing because I'm focused on showing my respect for this country, the ones serving and those that died serving this great land.

I'm not preaching, just noting that I take care of my house. I was raised to show respect. That's what I believe, so that is how I represent myself.

The putting your hand over your heart is no big deal to me, never done it before in my life. As a society we come up with these meaningless gestures and want to shame people that dont follow suit. I have never put my hand over my heart and i would put the sacrifices ive made for this country against anyones.

As for the rest of the stuff, if they are not acting like idiots and using it to make a statement, have at it. Thats what we are here for. I support those kids because im a vols fan not because i agree or disagree with some political issue. If they are trying to make a statement, i would say that statement is stupid. I would have done anything to have the opportunity to do what they are getting to do. But what can you expect when the folks they look up to are making fools of themselves every chance they get. If they are doing some sort of protest, commend them on doing it the right way. Now go win basketball games!

And by the way players, tough game last night but you all have done a great job this season.

Well said.

Post wasn't pointing that all have to have their hand over heart, just the way I was raised. With the way things have went the past couple of years, just worried about it opening up to something else. Guess I was raised old school. Never dreamed I would be including myself in the old fart generation, but guess I am there. Feel we do finally have a bunch of level headed, respectful young men on this team. Have seen some out away from the arena and never have noticed anything short of a respectful attitude to those around them, even after a loss.

By the way, thanks for your service.

I believe that there is nothing at all improper with their actions and they are not being disrespectful. Again, it's just strange when about 20 are all standing with their hands over their hearts and exactly four members of the team stand together and don't.

I will say this... if any member of the team elected to sit on the bench during the NA, I don't think that they'd be allowed to stay on the team. Probably also if anybody elected to leave the court since it would be divisive for the team. But it should only be a violation of a team rule if they did either of these two things. Citizens have different rights than members of a team. The players are on a stage and are held to higher standards than us necks in the stands.

Post wasn't pointing that all have to have their hand over heart, just the way I was raised. With the way things have went the past couple of years, just worried about it opening up to something else. Guess I was raised old school. Never dreamed I would be including myself in the old fart generation, but guess I am there. Feel we do finally have a bunch of level headed, respectful young men on this team. Have seen some out away from the arena and never have noticed anything short of a respectful attitude to those around them, even after a loss.

By the way, thanks for your service.

Thanks and my post wasn't meant to be disrespectful to anyone or any tradition. What I mean is our society often forms norms and attempts to shame anyone that doesn't follow along. That is no disrespect to those tradition but when you look at them, they are in fact meaningless gestures. What I mean by that is nothing is accomplished in doing it. We see it as a sign of respect, and disrespect when others don't do it. But in reality, we have no idea what is in that persons mind, but we pass judgement on them by not following our norms. I'm not a fan or President Obama in any way shape or form, but hammering the guy for a picture with him during the national anthem is what makes his opponents appear to have no meaning because we takes shots at everything. Instead we need to focus on the things that matter. I am opposed to nearly every political aspect of President Obama, but to question the work that he put in for this country is a bit silly given the stress and demand that comes with the job he did. Again, I think he was a bad President, due to his policy not because he didn't put his hand over his heart during the anthem.
I think Colin Kapernick is a fool, not because he took a knee during the national anthem, but because he wore socks with pigs wearing police hats and continued to spread divisiveness and hatred based on false stories.
Good discussion though.

Reactions: 1 person
Most NON Americans don't put their hand over their heart when our National Anthem is played, as shown here.

I am a White, Male, Christian, Conservative, born in Middle Tennessee, 21 years in the Marine Corps, 2 combat tours and work as a police Officer. I have never placed my hand over my heart. Am I am non American?

Reactions: 5 people
I am a White, Male, Christian, Conservative, born in Middle Tennessee, 21 years in the Marine Corps, 2 combat tours and work as a police Officer. I have never placed my hand over my heart. Am I am non American?

Do you salute instead?

Actually if these four guys are in fact making a political statement, I have to give them credit for doing it correctly. I'd be more open to hearing their reasoning than giving a forum to an ass-hat like Kraepernick or that other bunch of idiots in the NFL that probably don't even know what they're protesting while are making spectacles of themselves. If our four have issues, they are being very respectful of everybody else's feelings by simply having their hands clasped behind their backs instead.

It's kind of funny that earlier in the year, probably when the color guards were from local high schools, they used to exit along the south sideline. Now they turn right and march right through the middle of the line of UT players and coaches. And the guys in line that have to step aside to let them through... guess which ones usually do that.

I place my hand over my heart when saying the Pledge of Allegiance. I remove my cap and stand up straight during NA. I often bow my head and pray for my country.
From reading OP, it does not appear that any of our players are disrespectful in any way.

Pretty sure he was just taking a swipe at Obama.

Reactions: 2 people
All this really comes down to respecting one another. If, and that is a big IF, these guys are doing this as a sign of solidarity for some issue, they are doing it in a very respectful way, not shoving it down someone's throat. Just as when I place my hand over my heart, and there are times I have just bowed and prayed for our servicemen instead, I am no shoving that in anyone's face. There are right ways and wrongs ways to voice ones feelings on matters. Got a great bunch of guys on this team it seems. Look forward to seeing them grow into a great team. ITS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

As a Operation Desert Storm veteran I am sick and tired of the BS in this country with those that refuse to acknowledge those that protect our freedom to do the things we enjoy with our lifestyles. Many have lost their lives protecting this country and these youngsters obvious disrespect is ridicuous. Hell, they dont even know what they are protesting.

This BS is highly influenced by colleges with their mostly left wing anti-american liberal professors. Its time to hold these institutions accountable. In addition our previous Presdent Obama had no respect for the military and many other things in my opinion.

It is not freedom of speech to burn the flag and not give respect to our country.

Reactions: 2 people
Pretty sure he was just taking a swipe at Obama.

You might not agree or like the president, but to say any president is un-American is dumb. That job is tens of thousands times more stressful than any of us know. You have to love your country to put yourself under that much stress, judgment, and responsibilities. Not a shot at you it's a shot at Op

You might not agree or like the president, but to say any president is un-American is dumb. That job is tens of thousands times more stressful than any of us know. You have to love your country to put yourself under that much stress, judgment, and responsibilities. Not a shot at you it's a shot at Op

To be clear OP didn't say that, the guy who responded to the pic did (unless that's who you mean by OP, if so then ignore what I said).

VN Store

Back