6620 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on The National Anthem at the TBA Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 02-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #16
cncchris33

The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfannbama View Post
I am a White, Male, Christian, Conservative, born in Middle Tennessee, 21 years in the Marine Corps, 2 combat tours and work as a police Officer. I have never placed my hand over my heart. Am I am non American?
Do you salute instead?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #17
Thunder Good-Oil

The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
Actually if these four guys are in fact making a political statement, I have to give them credit for doing it correctly. I'd be more open to hearing their reasoning than giving a forum to an ass-hat like Kraepernick or that other bunch of idiots in the NFL that probably don't even know what they're protesting while are making spectacles of themselves. If our four have issues, they are being very respectful of everybody else's feelings by simply having their hands clasped behind their backs instead.

It's kind of funny that earlier in the year, probably when the color guards were from local high schools, they used to exit along the south sideline. Now they turn right and march right through the middle of the line of UT players and coaches. And the guys in line that have to step aside to let them through... guess which ones usually do that.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #18
Ace

The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
I place my hand over my heart when saying the Pledge of Allegiance. I remove my cap and stand up straight during NA. I often bow my head and pray for my country.
From reading OP, it does not appear that any of our players are disrespectful in any way.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #19
volfannbama

The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
Location: Armpit of America with screaming midget football coaches
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncchris33 View Post
Do you salute instead?
No, I usually stand with my hands to my side. I use that time to pray for the family of one of my best friends who was killed in Iraq
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #20
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
Quote:
I am a White, Male, Christian, Conservative, born in Middle Tennessee, 21 years in the Marine Corps, 2 combat tours and work as a police Officer. I have never placed my hand over my heart. Am I am non American?
Pretty sure he was just taking a swipe at Obama.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #21
LSG410EC83

The National Anthem at the TBA
The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
All this really comes down to respecting one another. If, and that is a big IF, these guys are doing this as a sign of solidarity for some issue, they are doing it in a very respectful way, not shoving it down someone's throat. Just as when I place my hand over my heart, and there are times I have just bowed and prayed for our servicemen instead, I am no shoving that in anyone's face. There are right ways and wrongs ways to voice ones feelings on matters. Got a great bunch of guys on this team it seems. Look forward to seeing them grow into a great team. ITS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
Vol4ever

The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
As a Operation Desert Storm veteran I am sick and tired of the BS in this country with those that refuse to acknowledge those that protect our freedom to do the things we enjoy with our lifestyles. Many have lost their lives protecting this country and these youngsters obvious disrespect is ridicuous. Hell, they dont even know what they are protesting.

This BS is highly influenced by colleges with their mostly left wing anti-american liberal professors. Its time to hold these institutions accountable. In addition our previous Presdent Obama had no respect for the military and many other things in my opinion.

It is not freedom of speech to burn the flag and not give respect to our country.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #23
OrangeAllDay

The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA The National Anthem at the TBA
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolsSportsFan View Post
You might not agree or like the president, but to say any president is un-American is dumb. That job is tens of thousands times more stressful than any of us know. You have to love your country to put yourself under that much stress, judgment, and responsibilities. Not a shot at you it's a shot at Op
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #24
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

Good lord move this to the politics forum already.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #25
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAllDay View Post
You might not agree or like the president, but to say any president is un-American is dumb. That job is tens of thousands times more stressful than any of us know. You have to love your country to put yourself under that much stress, judgment, and responsibilities. Not a shot at you it's a shot at Op
To be clear OP didn't say that, the guy who responded to the pic did (unless that's who you mean by OP, if so then ignore what I said).
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #26
volfannbama

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolsSportsFan View Post
Yeah, I know. Just pointing out how silly it is. There is plenty to get on Obama about without making stuff up.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #27
volfannbama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol4ever View Post
As a Operation Desert Storm veteran I am sick and tired of the BS in this country with those that refuse to acknowledge those that protect our freedom to do the things we enjoy with our lifestyles. Many have lost their lives protecting this country and these youngsters obvious disrespect is ridicuous. Hell, they dont even know what they are protesting.

This BS is highly influenced by colleges with their mostly left wing anti-american liberal professors. Its time to hold these institutions accountable. In addition our previous Presdent Obama had no respect for the military and many other things in my opinion.

It is not freedom of speech to burn the flag and not give respect to our country.

As a veteran, you should understand freedom of speech or expression better than most. Defend that freedom is not just the defense of that which we agree with but all free speech.
You take it as a personal disrespect of the military because that is your closest association. Most of the protest as this (our guys have not proven to be a protest) are more directed at Police Officers than military and that is widely known.
People that do things like this the right way are to be commended even if we disagree.
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #28
volfannbama

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAllDay View Post
Its a lazy argument for those that are opposed to him, but don't have the ability or time to criticize his policies.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #29
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

Quote:
As a veteran, you should understand freedom of speech or expression better than most. Defend that freedom is not just the defense of that which we agree with but all free speech.
You take it as a personal disrespect of the military because that is your closest association. Most of the protest as this (our guys have not proven to be a protest) are more directed at Police Officers than military and that is widely known.
People that do things like this the right way are to be commended even if we disagree.
Exactly. That was a strange rant.

Also, I find this idea of some "forced", expected patriotism has way more in common with places like China and North Korea than a free country.

Hopefully Florida blasts them next week and Butch Jones is fired on the spot.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #30
Vol4ever

Quote:

I disagree. This is the attitude that is taking our country down. No respect for anthing anymore unless its a special interest. Our techers and professors teaching its ok to disrepect authority. (police, etc). We are on a downward spiral.
Reply With Quote TOP