2650 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 02-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
Thunder Good-Oil

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16

All year I've been consistent wanting a winning record and an NIT appearance as a very satisfactory result.

This year I'd only be mildly disappointed with the CBI. On second thought... meh. If the seniors are up for it, then fine. A little more practice and tourney experience for the other eight freshmen and sophomores I guess would be a good thing.

I'll probably attend either the NIT or CBI at the TBA.

The CIT has only been inviting mid-majors. I assume they'll stick with that format.

The Vegas 16 was new last year and ended up scaling back to 8 non-P5s only. I wonder if they try to get some of the P5s or maybe even shut it down entirely.

I can't believe that TN's only been to one NCAAT in the previous 5 years. That's your fan apathy problem right there.

Last edited by Thunder Good-Oil; 03-22-2017 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
If we don't make the NIT, then I really don't care about any of the others. I won't fault them for going because I agree the extra practice would help, but as a fan I just can't make myself care about these new tournaments.

Hopefully Florida blasts them next week and Butch Jones is fired on the spot.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
VolnJC

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
I don't think many Power 5 programs would accept anything below NIT...I think the cost outweighs the extra practice time
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
vols 30

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
90% of the fans won't care about the NIT either.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Thunder Good-Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolnJC View Post
I don't think many Power 5 programs would accept anything below NIT...I think the cost outweighs the extra practice time
Most years I'd agree. But IMO it would be good for the freshmen to play in another single elimination tournament after the SECT. Some people were pretty stoked about the secret pre-season scrimmage versus Davidson. Or was it Dayton?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
Yankee_Vol
#NotMyHeadCoach

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
Any postseason play would be good for such a young team.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
iKrager

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
Any non-NIT tournament is paid for by the University itself. If I was in charge of finances, I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to play in the CIT/CBI or any other 'feel good' tournament.

Ehh I bet our guys would be disappointed with anything less than an NIT appearance.
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
golfballs
мячи для гольфа

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_Vol View Post
Absolutely. To be honest it's almost a win win situation for them. A win obviously if they make the tournament but an NIT would still be a win for this team for the extra practice and experience
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
Catbone
8-5 After Bowl, Book It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_Vol View Post
Bingo.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
Thunder Good-Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKrager View Post
Any non-NIT tournament is paid for by the University itself. If I was in charge of finances, I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to play in the CIT/CBI or any other 'feel good' tournament.

Ehh I bet our guys would be disappointed with anything less than an NIT appearance.
People might actually buy some tickets this year. I think that the schools guarantee a minimum for the CBI and take the loss for a bad turnout. The promoters will have to look at the revenue sharing in order to grow what they're trying to sell. There is some money generated by TV. The schools make a little bit on their own radio broadcasts... if there are any.

It would actually be a potential opportunity for a local sponsor to give away game passes too. The Haslams could dig the money out of their couches to cover the costs. I think that Big Jim has been in his court-side seat for about every game this year.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
Thunder Good-Oil

The problem with promoting the CBI though is that it starts real soon after a disappointing conclusion of the regular season. This year is unique though... picked 13th in the pre-season SEC prediction.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #12
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Good-Oil View Post
People might actually buy some tickets this year. I think that the schools guarantee a minimum for the CBI and take the loss for a bad turnout. The promoters will have to look at the revenue sharing in order to grow what they're trying to sell. There is some money generated by TV. The schools make a little bit on their own radio broadcasts... if there are any.

It would actually be a potential opportunity for a local sponsor to give away game passes too. The Haslams could dig the money out of their couches to cover the costs. I think that Big Jim has been in his court-side seat for about every game this year.
It will be hard enough to get fans to show up for an NIT game; I seriously doubt many would show up for a no-name tournament.

Hopefully Florida blasts them next week and Butch Jones is fired on the spot.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #13
Thunder Good-Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolsSportsFan View Post
It will be hard enough to get fans to show up for an NIT game; I seriously doubt many would show up for a no-name tournament.
There's more pent up demand this year than most. TN hasn't been to any post season tourney for 3 years now after going 9 straight years.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
vols 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Good-Oil View Post
There's more pent up demand this year than most. TN hasn't been to any post season tourney for 3 years now after going 9 straight years.
If UT hosts a NIT game, they'll be less than 8 thousand, and I'm probably overshooting that number
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #15
Thunder Good-Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vols 30 View Post
If UT hosts a NIT game, they'll be less than 8 thousand, and I'm probably overshooting that number
That's not a bad number relative to the 350 or so school's average attendances. ETSU's highest attended game each year is a few thousand less than that.
Reply With Quote TOP