NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16

Thunder Good-Oil

All year I've been consistent wanting a winning record and an NIT appearance as a very satisfactory result.

This year I'd only be mildly disappointed with the CBI. On second thought... meh. If the seniors are up for it, then fine. A little more practice and tourney experience for the other eight freshmen and sophomores I guess would be a good thing.

I'll probably attend either the NIT or CBI at the TBA.

The CIT has only been inviting mid-majors. I assume they'll stick with that format.

The Vegas 16 was new last year and ended up scaling back to 8 non-P5s only. I wonder if they try to get some of the P5s or maybe even shut it down entirely.

I can't believe that TN's only been to one NCAAT in the previous 5 years. That's your fan apathy problem right there.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
If we don't make the NIT, then I really don't care about any of the others. I won't fault them for going because I agree the extra practice would help, but as a fan I just can't make myself care about these new tournaments.

I don't think many Power 5 programs would accept anything below NIT...I think the cost outweighs the extra practice time

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think many Power 5 programs would accept anything below NIT...I think the cost outweighs the extra practice time

Most years I'd agree. But IMO it would be good for the freshmen to play in another single elimination tournament after the SECT. Some people were pretty stoked about the secret pre-season scrimmage versus Davidson. Or was it Dayton?

Any non-NIT tournament is paid for by the University itself. If I was in charge of finances, I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to play in the CIT/CBI or any other 'feel good' tournament.

Ehh I bet our guys would be disappointed with anything less than an NIT appearance.

Reactions: 3 people
Any postseason play would be good for such a young team.

Absolutely. To be honest it's almost a win win situation for them. A win obviously if they make the tournament but an NIT would still be a win for this team for the extra practice and experience

Any non-NIT tournament is paid for by the University itself. If I was in charge of finances, I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to play in the CIT/CBI or any other 'feel good' tournament.

Ehh I bet our guys would be disappointed with anything less than an NIT appearance.

People might actually buy some tickets this year. I think that the schools guarantee a minimum for the CBI and take the loss for a bad turnout. The promoters will have to look at the revenue sharing in order to grow what they're trying to sell. There is some money generated by TV. The schools make a little bit on their own radio broadcasts... if there are any.

It would actually be a potential opportunity for a local sponsor to give away game passes too. The Haslams could dig the money out of their couches to cover the costs. I think that Big Jim has been in his court-side seat for about every game this year.

The problem with promoting the CBI though is that it starts real soon after a disappointing conclusion of the regular season. This year is unique though... picked 13th in the pre-season SEC prediction.

People might actually buy some tickets this year. I think that the schools guarantee a minimum for the CBI and take the loss for a bad turnout. The promoters will have to look at the revenue sharing in order to grow what they're trying to sell. There is some money generated by TV. The schools make a little bit on their own radio broadcasts... if there are any.

It would actually be a potential opportunity for a local sponsor to give away game passes too. The Haslams could dig the money out of their couches to cover the costs. I think that Big Jim has been in his court-side seat for about every game this year.

It will be hard enough to get fans to show up for an NIT game; I seriously doubt many would show up for a no-name tournament.

It will be hard enough to get fans to show up for an NIT game; I seriously doubt many would show up for a no-name tournament.

There's more pent up demand this year than most. TN hasn't been to any post season tourney for 3 years now after going 9 straight years.

If UT hosts a NIT game, they'll be less than 8 thousand, and I'm probably overshooting that number

That's not a bad number relative to the 350 or so school's average attendances. ETSU's highest attended game each year is a few thousand less than that.

There's more pent up demand this year than most. TN hasn't been to any post season tourney for 3 years now after going 9 straight years.

Based on what?

We've been discussing at length how people are slow to even support regular season SEC games, what makes you think they are going to come out to watch a game against a likely mid-major in a tournament no one cares about?

If UT hosts a NIT game, they'll be less than 8 thousand, and I'm probably overshooting that number

plus they are almost always on a weekday - South Carolina won it 2 years in a row and it didn't save their coaches job -- I cant even remember his name

Reactions: 1 person
plus they are almost always on a weekday - South Carolina won it 2 years in a row and it didn't save their coaches job -- I cant even remember his name

You're talking about Dave Odom, and he retired 2 years later, he wasn't fired.

Based on what?

We've been discussing at length how people are slow to even support regular season SEC games, what makes you think they are going to come out to watch a game against a likely mid-major in a tournament no one cares about?

Maybe you didn't read both sentences.

Your second sentance doesn't prove your first in any way.

And apparently you didn't read my second sentance.

If you can't see a cause-effect relationship between pent up demand and consecutive years of no post season play, then I can't help you "in any way".

I read the second sentence but didn't reply because it was off point. The discussion was about spending thousands to host a less than NIT tournament. I suggested that people might actually show up (and therefore generate some revenue to reduce or even offset the cost) because there is pent up demand after having 9 consecutive years of post season appearances followed by the most recent two years of no appearances. I didn't suggest that there would be a massive turnout. That seems to be an argument that you're attempting to ignite. Maybe you're dragging a fight from a different thread into this one. This thread is about the post season tournaments that aren't the NCAAT.

If you can't see a cause-effect relationship between pent up demand and consecutive years of no post season play, then I can't help you "in any way".

I read the second sentence but didn't reply because it was off point. The discussion was about spending thousands to host a less than NIT tournament. I suggested that people might actually show up (and therefore generate some revenue to reduce or even offset the cost) because there is pent up demand after having 9 consecutive years of post season appearances followed by the most recent two years of no appearances. I didn't suggest that there would be a massive turnout. That seems to be an argument that you're attempting to ignite. Maybe you're dragging a fight from a different thread into this one. This thread is about the post season tournaments that aren't the NCAAT.

If you actually believe there is a "pent up demand" for a sub NIT tournament, then I can't help you at all. If you think it's exists merely because we haven't been to a postseason tournament in 3 years, I can't help you. That's an incredibly weak reason and I'm waiting for some kind of real evidence to back up that assertion.

You claim a demand and that people might show up but then say you aren't claiming a massive turnout? So what does "demand" even mean then? What's an acceptable number that would constitute a "demand"?

And no, my point about struggling to get people to come to SEC games is not even close to "off point" and it shouldn't be hard to figure out why.

If you actually believe there is a "pent up demand" for a sub NIT tournament, then I can't help you at all. If you think it's exists merely because we haven't been to a postseason tournament in 3 years, I can't help you. That's an incredibly weak reason and I'm waiting for some kind of real evidence to back up that assertion.

You claim a demand and that people might show up but then say you aren't claiming a massive turnout? So what does "demand" even mean then? What's an acceptable number that would constitute a "demand"?

And no, my point about struggling to get people to come to SEC games is not even close to "off point" and it shouldn't be hard to figure out why.

It's a big arena. They won't have to come close to selling it out in order to recoup the fees or meet the guarantees needed to participate in the sub-NIT tourneys.

Since you don't care about these tournaments, why are you stirring up **** in this thread anyway? Your salty attempt at creating an argument is what makes this board suck at times. Please take your battle about weak attendance back to the thread that it originated in.

It's a big arena. They won't have to come close to selling it out in order to recoup the fees or meet the guarantees needed to participate in the sub-NIT tourneys.

Since you don't care about these tournaments, why are you stirring up **** in this thread anyway? Your salty attempt at creating an argument is what makes this board suck at times. Please take your battle about weak attendance back to the thread that it originated in.

That wasn't your claim nor the question; you claimed some demand exists for it and as usual, you're now dancing around it and refusing to answer the question.

And give me a break, you've got no room to talk about anyone getting salty or "creating an argument" Mr. Medical Redshirt/Fifth-Year Senior. You are the one who got salty first in this thread buddy. It's a messageboard, if you don't like people responding to your claims, then put me on ignore.

Last edited:
90% of the fans won't care about the NIT either.

Judging by attendance they don't now except when we play UK. That being said, I recall the last two times we played at home in the NIT we drew maybe 4,000. Given it was general admission, and only the real fans who care showed up, it was really loud.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back