NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16  
756 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 02-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Good-Oil View Post
There's more pent up demand this year than most. TN hasn't been to any post season tourney for 3 years now after going 9 straight years.
Based on what?

We've been discussing at length how people are slow to even support regular season SEC games, what makes you think they are going to come out to watch a game against a likely mid-major in a tournament no one cares about?

Hopefully Florida blasts them next week and Butch Jones is fired on the spot.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #17
508mikey

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vols 30 View Post
If UT hosts a NIT game, they'll be less than 8 thousand, and I'm probably overshooting that number
plus they are almost always on a weekday - South Carolina won it 2 years in a row and it didn't save their coaches job -- I cant even remember his name
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 508mikey View Post
plus they are almost always on a weekday - South Carolina won it 2 years in a row and it didn't save their coaches job -- I cant even remember his name
You're talking about Dave Odom, and he retired 2 years later, he wasn't fired.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
Thunder Good-Oil

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolsSportsFan View Post
Based on what?

We've been discussing at length how people are slow to even support regular season SEC games, what makes you think they are going to come out to watch a game against a likely mid-major in a tournament no one cares about?
Maybe you didn't read both sentences.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #20
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

Quote:
Maybe you didn't read both sentences.
Your second sentance doesn't prove your first in any way.

And apparently you didn't read my second sentance.

Last edited by VolsSportsFan; 02-12-2017 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #21
Thunder Good-Oil

Quote:
Your second sentance doesn't prove your first in any way.

And apparently you didn't read my second sentance.
If you can't see a cause-effect relationship between pent up demand and consecutive years of no post season play, then I can't help you "in any way".

I read the second sentence but didn't reply because it was off point. The discussion was about spending thousands to host a less than NIT tournament. I suggested that people might actually show up (and therefore generate some revenue to reduce or even offset the cost) because there is pent up demand after having 9 consecutive years of post season appearances followed by the most recent two years of no appearances. I didn't suggest that there would be a massive turnout. That seems to be an argument that you're attempting to ignite. Maybe you're dragging a fight from a different thread into this one. This thread is about the post season tournaments that aren't the NCAAT.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #22
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

Quote:
If you can't see a cause-effect relationship between pent up demand and consecutive years of no post season play, then I can't help you "in any way".

I read the second sentence but didn't reply because it was off point. The discussion was about spending thousands to host a less than NIT tournament. I suggested that people might actually show up (and therefore generate some revenue to reduce or even offset the cost) because there is pent up demand after having 9 consecutive years of post season appearances followed by the most recent two years of no appearances. I didn't suggest that there would be a massive turnout. That seems to be an argument that you're attempting to ignite. Maybe you're dragging a fight from a different thread into this one. This thread is about the post season tournaments that aren't the NCAAT.
If you actually believe there is a "pent up demand" for a sub NIT tournament, then I can't help you at all. If you think it's exists merely because we haven't been to a postseason tournament in 3 years, I can't help you. That's an incredibly weak reason and I'm waiting for some kind of real evidence to back up that assertion.

You claim a demand and that people might show up but then say you aren't claiming a massive turnout? So what does "demand" even mean then? What's an acceptable number that would constitute a "demand"?

And no, my point about struggling to get people to come to SEC games is not even close to "off point" and it shouldn't be hard to figure out why.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-13-2017, 01:25 AM   #23
Thunder Good-Oil

Quote:
If you actually believe there is a "pent up demand" for a sub NIT tournament, then I can't help you at all. If you think it's exists merely because we haven't been to a postseason tournament in 3 years, I can't help you. That's an incredibly weak reason and I'm waiting for some kind of real evidence to back up that assertion.

You claim a demand and that people might show up but then say you aren't claiming a massive turnout? So what does "demand" even mean then? What's an acceptable number that would constitute a "demand"?

And no, my point about struggling to get people to come to SEC games is not even close to "off point" and it shouldn't be hard to figure out why.
It's a big arena. They won't have to come close to selling it out in order to recoup the fees or meet the guarantees needed to participate in the sub-NIT tourneys.

Since you don't care about these tournaments, why are you stirring up **** in this thread anyway? Your salty attempt at creating an argument is what makes this board suck at times. Please take your battle about weak attendance back to the thread that it originated in.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-13-2017, 06:34 AM   #24
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

Quote:
It's a big arena. They won't have to come close to selling it out in order to recoup the fees or meet the guarantees needed to participate in the sub-NIT tourneys.

Since you don't care about these tournaments, why are you stirring up **** in this thread anyway? Your salty attempt at creating an argument is what makes this board suck at times. Please take your battle about weak attendance back to the thread that it originated in.
That wasn't your claim nor the question; you claimed some demand exists for it and as usual, you're now dancing around it and refusing to answer the question.

And give me a break, you've got no room to talk about anyone getting salty or "creating an argument" Mr. Medical Redshirt/Fifth-Year Senior. You are the one who got salty first in this thread buddy. It's a messageboard, if you don't like people responding to your claims, then put me on ignore.

Last edited by VolsSportsFan; 02-13-2017 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #25
OrngeJuiceJones

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vols 30 View Post
90% of the fans won't care about the NIT either.
Judging by attendance they don't now except when we play UK. That being said, I recall the last two times we played at home in the NIT we drew maybe 4,000. Given it was general admission, and only the real fans who care showed up, it was really loud.

Last edited by OrngeJuiceJones; 02-13-2017 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #26
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngeJuiceJones View Post
Judging by attendance they don't now except when we play UK. That being said, I recall the last two times we played at home in the NIT we drew maybe 4,000. Given it was general admission, and only the real fans who care showed up, it was really loud.
Our regular season attendance is down but still pretty good for a football school that's had little to cheer for in 3 years.

But yeah, the NIT generates little interest. The MTSU game from 2012 drew 12,000, but I'm sure being MTSU helped that. But the game before that drew about 6500, and the Mercer game the next year drew 4,000. Before that, the last home NIT game was one of Buzz's years against Georgetown and drew 3,000.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #27
cncchris33

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16 NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
Quote:
Our regular season attendance is down but still pretty good for a football school that's had little to cheer for in 3 years.

But yeah, the NIT generates little interest. The MTSU game from 2012 drew 12,000, but I'm sure being MTSU helped that. But the game before that drew about 6500, and the Mercer game the next year drew 4,000. Before that, the last home NIT game was one of Buzz's years against Georgetown and drew 3,000.
I was there. It was awful. Glorified high school game attendance.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #28
AngryButchJones

NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16
I wouldn't mind NIT if it happens. I don't think you'd get more than like 7,000 at TBA, but who knows? I had fun one game I went to when they played American when I was a student (during Cuonzo's first year I think?), and the attendance was pretty low. But it makes it easy to attend at least. Obviously, I'd much rather have them make it to the NCAAT. But with the expectations being so low coming into this season, I'd take NIT.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #29
tonybologna
VFL

hoops

My ETSU Bucs played in the Vegas 16 last season. Made it to the final 8 teams & lost. There was hardly anybody at these games though. Even the Championship game. Are they still having that post-season tourney this season?

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #30
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna View Post
My ETSU Bucs played in the Vegas 16 last season. Made it to the final 8 teams & lost. There was hardly anybody at these games though. Even the Championship game. Are they still having that post-season tourney this season?
Impressive that they made it to the final 8 teams of an 8 team tournament.

Reply With Quote TOP