Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today  
1345 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Only 3 things upset me today Page 3. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 02-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #31
savannahfan

Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMBER1VOLFAN View Post
I graduated in 76. Stood in line for Student Tickets. Watched The Ernie & Bernie Show for 2 years. We had True Students who appreciated the game then. Of course, it was a more competitive team than what we have now, but we always showed up at Stokley and it was loud. We let the other team know they were in for a battle. I think we paid $2.00 back then (not sure). Maybe we're not in the top 25, but show your support. Recruits see what the fan base is, and the students define it. No fan base, no good recruits. Makes it harder for Rick Barnes too
I wonder how many students on the hill today are like those 60-70 folks. This bunch is much more self centered and into "social media" BS. They don't relate to much like that "older" bunch did. I have noticed basketball at the high school level seems to be no where near as popular as it was, say from 1950-70. More kids in school, but no more fans. Most support looks to come from major population centers. Not overall urban and rural support. Around my part of the country you use to see a basketball goal in most yards, not so anymore. I think most of the kids that are going to basketball games (at least in some SEC schools) are going for the social scene, not the game. (like they go to malls). Like some have said, winning like UT did with E & B, Coach Ray M., Coach Bruce P. will bring back some fun and support.

Last edited by savannahfan; 02-12-2017 at 11:14 AM..
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #32
Coachmike17

Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Quote:
Originally Posted by 508mikey View Post
#3 sounds pretty stupid - who was the geek that thought that up ? Post a photo of it if you can next home game
The cameras didn't keep panning to it this game but the previous home game they did. What was the intent for this?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #33
Ace

Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhater1509 View Post
100% agree but what could they do? I assume seating is offered for free. That would be enough for me.
Students pay fees, then must purchase tickets for football. Not sure about basketball. If they have to pay extra for basketball then that could be the reason for poor attendance.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #34
OrngeJuiceJones

Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Students pay fees, then must purchase tickets for football. Not sure about basketball. If they have to pay extra for basketball then that could be the reason for poor attendance.
Basketball is free just show student ID at the door
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #35
Dallasbowlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoaxialOrange View Post
I guess Rick is going to have to run shirtless with body paint into TBA
We're trying to get fans in tba, not run them away. Lol
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #36
Ace

Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngeJuiceJones View Post
ok thx I did not know how it worked for basketball.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #37
Ace

We just have too many students focused on academics. Back in my day on The Hill, we had our priorities straight. I never let my studies get in the way of a game.
VN Likes: 4
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #38
BigZiti09
Sheep

Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Quote:
We just have too many students focused on academics. Back in my day on The Hill, we had our priorities straight. I never let my studies get in the way of a game.
People will scoff at that but there's a lot of truth to it.

Buncha nerds over there now.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #39
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZiti09 View Post
People will scoff at that but there's a lot of truth to it.

Buncha nerds over there now.
I was just raised right. I made good grades, worked part-time and supported the Vols. That is why I went to UT.
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #40
508mikey

Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachmike17 View Post
The cameras didn't keep panning to it this game but the previous home game they did. What was the intent for this?
I only caught the last 4 minutes of the Ole Miss game because I had to work -- but this scenario sounds like a makeshift coffee shop - whats next poetry readings
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #41
OrangeBalls
Raise a lil hell...

IMG_5729.jpg

A friend of mine was given tickets behind the student section. He sent me this pic sometime after the 2nd half started. LOL. I know he said in the past (when Pearl was coach) when he has sat there, he said the first few rows would complain about the students standing at the back and they couldn't see. Maybe that's the reason for the couches now so the paying fans don't have to stand all game. Who knows.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #42
iKrager

Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Quote:
What an opinion. Students in college too focused on academics? Give me a break. Students are any more busy now than they ever were. They'd just rather do something else than to attend a losing basketball game.

We have failed to put a consistently good product on the floor. Students want to win. They don't care much for the sport and the interwebbing details. Once we start winning, the "other fans" will pack the stadium.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #43
Dallasbowlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikrager View Post
what an opinion. Students in college too focused on academics? Give me a break. Students are any more busy now than they ever were. They'd just rather do something else than to attend a losing basketball game.

We have failed to put a consistently good product on the floor. Students want to win. They don't care much for the sport and the interwebbing details. Once we start winning, the "other fans" will pack the stadium.
this
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #44
508mikey

Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngeJuiceJones View Post
final 2 Saturday games at TBA are at 1pm -- doubt any students show up that early - they might as well give the free tickets to youth basketball league teams at least they would go
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #45
OrngeJuiceJones

Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today Only 3 things upset me today
Quote:
Originally Posted by 508mikey View Post
final 2 Saturday games at TBA are at 1pm -- doubt any students show up that early - they might as well give the free tickets to youth basketball league teams at least they would go
You're right. I'd guess UT has averaged for the season 1,000 students a game out of allotted 5,000 seats they get. I'd say some games there weren't even 200. Also, have you seen the thousands of seats still available thru UT ticket office?
Reply With Quote TOP