Any Information on Darius Thompson?

snapcracklepop

I have watched some of the Virginia game today, and I haven't seen him get any minutes. I hated to see him transfer, but I really hoped he would be successful at his new school. Does anyone have any inside scoop on the middle Tennessee prospect?

I have watched some of the Virginia game today, and I haven't seen him get any minutes. I hated to see him transfer, but I really hoped he would be successful at his new school. Does anyone have any inside scoop on the middle Tennessee prospect?

I thought he was going to be a beast here. He's court vision was outstanding as a freshman but since he transferred I haven't kept up with him

It's odd that he started EVERY game through December and NONE OV them in 2017. I wonder if somebody became eligible on 1/1/17?

Glad he's gone. Barnes is too tough for him to play for and we are better off.

I didn't like that he left. But his Dad is a coach and probably gave him some sound advice to get the hell out since Donnie was coming in.

He could have made a difference getting to the NIT the last two years.

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't like that he left. But his Dad is a coach and probably gave him some sound advice to get the hell out since Donnie was coming in.

He could have made a difference getting to the NIT the last two years.

Would have been nice for Josh and Punter to play off the ball for sure.

I work at UVA, and being a Vol alum, I've been following him pretty closely. His minutes are down a bit this year, 10-15 a game. Still productive and has a few highlight reel plays, but UVA has several very good freshman that split minutes with him. If you watched the Syracuse game today, you might have seen Jerome, Guy, and Diakite all in the floor at the same time- all true freshmen. I have a feeling Guy and Jerome will pass him on the depth chart quickly- they're both putting up some good numbers and play the same position as Darius. UVA is very good, and young (1 senior), it'll be tough to get additional minutes.

I work at UVA, and being a Vol alum, I've been following him pretty closely. His minutes are down a bit this year, 10-15 a game. Still productive and has a few highlight reel plays, but UVA has several very good freshman that split minutes with him. If you watched the Syracuse game today, you might have seen Jerome, Guy, and Diakite all in the floor at the same time- all true freshmen. I have a feeling Guy and Jerome will pass him on the depth chart quickly- they're both putting up some good numbers and play the same position as Darius. UVA is very good, and young (1 senior), it'll be tough to get additional minutes.

wouldn't be surprised to see him grad transfer somewhere.

He seemed a step slow to me... would have never logged any minutes in RB's scheme

In my opinion, it seemed like when he went to UVA he really bulked up in a move to not play the point. If he would have stayed, I think he would have done really well under Barnes. He has never really been a scorer, and his strength was running an offense and distributing. Granted, we don't have any dynamic scorers to distribute to right now.... :whistling:

Yep, played pretty well too. 10 pts, 20 minutes, good energy. UVA doesn't run much, but DT is one of the more exciting players on the team.

Just a question for you? What was the deal with the big kid from Memphis who was there a while? Austin Nichols I think?

When he was here I always liked his vision and unselfishness. Had he stayed I would have preferred him stay at PG and work on his quickness around the perimeter and his defense. He looked solid running the floor on fast breaks but seemed a step slow on defense, which is not uncommon for freshmen.

At UVA he's slipped down to the 3 spot and has bulked up quite a bit and added some muscle to his frame. I've never been a fan of moving a guy off ball because of his size. I remember when JP Prince transferred from Zona and we did the same thing with him. A good ball handler who can run the floor in transition is invaluable but in college it's all too common for a coach to spread taller guys out in the lineup.

Tyler Smith was a great ball handler and passer who excelled as a point forward and I think Darius's game and physical stature is similar in many ways (to a lesser extent) to Smith's.

When he was here I always liked his vision and unselfishness. Had he stayed I would have preferred him stay at PG and work on his quickness around the perimeter and his defense. He looked solid running the floor on fast breaks but seemed a step slow on defense, which is not uncommon for freshmen.

At UVA he's slipped down to the 3 spot and has bulked up quite a bit and added some muscle to his frame. I've never been a fan of moving a guy off ball because of his size. I remember when JP Prince transferred from Zona and we did the same thing with him. A good ball handler who can run the floor in transition is invaluable but in college it's all too common for a coach to spread taller guys out in the lineup.

Tyler Smith was a great ball handler and passer who excelled as a point forward and I think Darius's game and physical stature is similar in many ways (to a lesser extent) to Smith's.

JP Prince was not a good ball-handler though.

Last edited:
Yeah, but uva beats Louisville even with those two,IMO.

Based on what? Louisville had a halftime lead. You're just assuming. Louisville was missing their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers, plus Mathiang, all of which average a combined 30 ppg.

Based on what? Louisville had a halftime lead. You're just assuming. Louisville was missing their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers, plus Mathiang, all of which average a combined 30 ppg.

Yeah, I'm assuming.... hence saying "in my opinion"

VN Store

Back