Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson?  
2523 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Any Information on Darius Thompson? Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #16
sccshortstop

Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson?
hoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft.MyersVols View Post
Yep, played pretty well too. 10 pts, 20 minutes, good energy. UVA doesn't run much, but DT is one of the more exciting players on the team.
Just a question for you? What was the deal with the big kid from Memphis who was there a while? Austin Nichols I think?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #17
IndianapolisVol

Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson?
Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson?
When he was here I always liked his vision and unselfishness. Had he stayed I would have preferred him stay at PG and work on his quickness around the perimeter and his defense. He looked solid running the floor on fast breaks but seemed a step slow on defense, which is not uncommon for freshmen.

At UVA he's slipped down to the 3 spot and has bulked up quite a bit and added some muscle to his frame. I've never been a fan of moving a guy off ball because of his size. I remember when JP Prince transferred from Zona and we did the same thing with him. A good ball handler who can run the floor in transition is invaluable but in college it's all too common for a coach to spread taller guys out in the lineup.

Tyler Smith was a great ball handler and passer who excelled as a point forward and I think Darius's game and physical stature is similar in many ways (to a lesser extent) to Smith's.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 PM   #18
cncchris33

Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbowlin View Post
Played good,too. UVA has UOFL'S number.
Louisville had two players suspended which didn't help.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #19
cncchris33

Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianapolisVol View Post
When he was here I always liked his vision and unselfishness. Had he stayed I would have preferred him stay at PG and work on his quickness around the perimeter and his defense. He looked solid running the floor on fast breaks but seemed a step slow on defense, which is not uncommon for freshmen.

At UVA he's slipped down to the 3 spot and has bulked up quite a bit and added some muscle to his frame. I've never been a fan of moving a guy off ball because of his size. I remember when JP Prince transferred from Zona and we did the same thing with him. A good ball handler who can run the floor in transition is invaluable but in college it's all too common for a coach to spread taller guys out in the lineup.

Tyler Smith was a great ball handler and passer who excelled as a point forward and I think Darius's game and physical stature is similar in many ways (to a lesser extent) to Smith's.
JP Prince was not a good ball-handler though.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #20
BigZiti09
Sheep

Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncchris33 View Post
JP Prince was not a good ball-handler though.
You kiss your mother with that mouth?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #21
cncchris33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZiti09 View Post
You kiss your mother with that mouth?
Like moth to a flame, Ziti.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2017, 03:39 AM   #22
Thunder Good-Oil

Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccshortstop View Post
Just a question for you? What was the deal with the big kid from Memphis who was there a while? Austin Nichols I think?
Weird. One game only at Virginia.

Austin Nichols College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Memphis boys being Memphis boys.

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111816aaa.html

Last edited by Thunder Good-Oil; 02-07-2017 at 03:43 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #23
Dallasbowlin

Quote:
Louisville had two players suspended which didn't help.
Yeah, but uva beats Louisville even with those two,IMO.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #24
cncchris33

Quote:
Yeah, but uva beats Louisville even with those two,IMO.
Based on what? Louisville had a halftime lead. You're just assuming. Louisville was missing their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers, plus Mathiang, all of which average a combined 30 ppg.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #25
Dallasbowlin

Quote:
Based on what? Louisville had a halftime lead. You're just assuming. Louisville was missing their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers, plus Mathiang, all of which average a combined 30 ppg.
Yeah, I'm assuming.... hence saying "in my opinion"
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #26
Ace

Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson?
One of the radio guys in Memphis is good friends with Nichols and he said Nichols has lost all desire to play basketball. He just grew tired of basketball being his 24/7 job. He was just going through the motions and no longer had a passion to play.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #27
Ace

Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson? Any Information on Darius Thompson?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
One of the radio guys in Memphis is good friends with Nichols and he said Nichols has lost all desire to play basketball. He just grew tired of basketball being his 24/7 job. He was just going through the motions and no longer had a passion to play.
He also said any team that considered trying to bring him in for next year had better be very careful because Nichols is going to need time to figure out if he really ever wanted to play again.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #28
cncchris33

Quote:
Yeah, I'm assuming.... hence saying "in my opinion"
Good point. What's a measly 30 ppg anyways?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #29
Dallasbowlin

Quote:
Good point. What's a measly 30 ppg anyways?
considering Mathiang didn't score, and Adel had 8 on 3-9 in the first game against Virginia,I don't think that 30 happens
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #30
Ft.MyersVols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
He also said any team that considered trying to bring him in for next year had better be very careful because Nichols is going to need time to figure out if he really ever wanted to play again.
Yeah, the whole Nichols/UVA thing was weird. He sat out last season due to transferring, got suspended two preseason games for a violation of team rules, then got booted after playing one game. Whatever happened was kept very quiet, but people here worship Tony Bennett so whatever Austin did, people feel like him getting dismissed was justified.
Reply With Quote TOP