Grant Williams and his NBA hopes

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
Do you think Williams could sneak into the NBA if he keeps improving his game then next few years or would it be another Stokes situation? Big bodied that can score in the post, rebound, but undersized at his position in the NBA? Barnes is coaching him up very nicely and seems to be on the right track of development. I personally hope Williams gets the chance cause he plays with a lot of heart and never gives up on a play. What do you think?

He'd have to continue to improve his body to where he can play some 3, hen also improve his perimeter skills, he does that and he could be a poor mans Draymond Green.

Reactions: 3 people
At his size, he would have to play the 3 it seems. There, he would have to be able to play either lock down D on phenominal athletes and/or be able to create his own shots on the outside. Otherwise, he would need to bulk up about 25# of muscle and improve the vertical by about 10" and become a Barkley style 2.

I hate guessing at these "pro" things. Seems to always be wrong. Who knows, maybe enough combination of all the above makes him attractive as a flexible journeyman type who has a 20yr career.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you think Williams could sneak into the NBA if he keeps improving his game then next few years or would it be another Stokes situation? Big bodied that can score in the post, rebound, but undersized at his position in the NBA? Barnes is coaching him up very nicely and seems to be on the right track of development. I personally hope Williams gets the chance cause he plays with a lot of heart and never gives up on a play. What do you think?

It's way to early to label a guy, but he reminds me of Charles Barkley. He appears to be a bit more athletic than Stokes, and doesn't appear to have a lot of difficulty getting his shot vs opposing bigs. I'm excited to see him develop over the next few years. GBO.

Reactions: 2 people
Draymond is 6'7" , grant is 6'5" that's just two inches,and we've seen what grant can do against bigger guys. Not to mention he has a better perimeter shot as a fresman,than jarnell had his junior year. He'll be fine.

Last edited:
He'd have to continue to improve his body to where he can play some 3, hen also improve his perimeter skills, he does that and he could be a poor mans Draymond Green.

He reminds me a little of Adrian Dantley. Both similar build, 6'5", but Dantley had an excellent perimeter game. Grant has time to develop this.

I used to work for the Atlanta Hawks and followed basketball closely. The only short guys I can remember were Chuck Hayes and Elton Brand. These were guys who played like big guys and Elton had a big frame. If Grant is going to play in the NBA and then he is going to have get very strong to keep people away from the basket but I do not see how he can guard most NBA 3's. Could he guard Tobias Harris? or Paul Millsap? or Al Horford? Or even Josh Richardson? (and when you google Elton Brands height it shows he is 6'9 however in person Richard Hamilton is taller than him)

I don't think his game really translates to NBA. He'll be a hell of a college player for sure though.

He would have to entirely transform his body and game to be an NBA player IMO. Height-wise, he's an NBA 3, at best. He just doesn't have the skills of a 3 right now and I doubt he grows 4 more inches.

He stands to make alot of money over seas. There is nothing wrong with that. That being said he is a grinder so if he fine tuned some things at 3 he could get a shot in NBA.

No. Size will be a problem. He will be a very nice college player, but I don't see him in the NBA.

VN Store

Back