3014 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
VolnJC

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?

Remember when Smart's name was rumored for almost every opening? I know the Longhorns are young, but they also have good talent yet they're sitting at 8-13 and losing to Texas Tech at home tonight.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #2
keckjm

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolnJC View Post
Remember when Smart's name was rumored for almost every opening? I know the Longhorns are young, but they also have good talent yet they're sitting at 8-13 and losing to Texas Tech at home tonight.
Barnes is a solid floor coach, and his staff are unreal talent developers. My only issues with Barnes are his recruiting and age. We have to recruit post players better. Could you imagine if we had just one skilled 6'8" or bigger post player to go along with this team? In the end, I really appreciate what Barnes is doing for us. I think Barnes is a solid coach, and I think we'd be fools to even think about another coach until Barnes says it's time to hang em up.

Last edited by keckjm; 02-01-2017 at 10:11 PM..
VN Likes: 7
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
volKano

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.
VN Likes: 4
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
kentucky sucks

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Nope
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
goldvol
VolNation's Lesser Poobah

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by volKano View Post
That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.
It's exactly how a message board works. you know he's not actually trying to make the trade, right?
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #6
Vols4us

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Barnes over Smart. No doubts.
VN Likes: 6
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
VolnJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by keckjm View Post
Barnes is a solid floor coach, and his staff are unreal talent developers. My only issues with Barnes are his recruiting and age. We have to recruit post players better. Could you imagine if we had just one skilled 6'8" or bigger post player to go along with this team? In the end, I really appreciate what Barnes is doing for us. I think Barnes is a solid coach, and I think we'd be fools to even think about another coach until Barnes says it's time to hang em up.
That's something I've never understood about Barnes even when they were winning at a high level he never really seemed to recruit that well....I think he just looks for guys that fit into his system...almost stubbornly so imo..he would probably have a NC if he had recruited better at Texas
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
SlyStone
Everybody is a Star!

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
The better question should be would you want Pearl back or keep Barnes?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #9
VolnJC

Guy I want to replace Barnes(hopefully after our rebuild in 3-4 years when he retires) is Tony Bennett...man his teams are awesome on D...doubt we could pay him enough to come here though
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #10
Dudleys87
02Honda

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Tennessee couldn't have made out any better.
VN Likes: 8
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #11
keckjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolnJC View Post
That's something I've never understood about Barnes even when they were winning at a high level he never really seemed to recruit that well....I think he just looks for guys that fit into his system...almost stubbornly so imo..he would probably have a NC if he had recruited better at Texas
I think he simply doesn't want to hit the recruiting trail anymore due to his age, so his assistant coaches do it for him.

In terms of winning a NC, I never look at Barnes as a failure there. A lot of people have an issue with his postseason record, but in college basketball it is really hard to win NCs. A lot has to go right for you, and many times the "best" team doesn't even advance to the championship game. The best, and arguable the worst, aspect of basketball is that any team can get hot and win. If you ride that momentum wave it can carry you into the elite 8 or final four. Again, college basketball is just a hard sport to win NCs. You have to have a lot go right for you in the span of about a month. However, I get why people have issues with his final four appearance(s), or lack there of.
VN Likes: 6
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #12
RPAV

Rick is recruiting 5 star players. He first wanted to build a strong foundation of good solid Basketball players which he has done then try and add 5 star players. Two in Nashville one 2018 class at Brentwood Academy 1 2019 class at Ensworth Tn will have a legitimate shot at both.
VN Likes: 8
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #13
1974gleasonVol

Besides taking a young group of players and molding them into a team, he has done what was needed and kept us out of the news for bad things going on. I heard no negative blow back when he dismissed a player recently.
VN Likes: 4
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #14
allvol21

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
I don't know that there is a better fit for our program at this time. First of all I wish we would have pulled a coach of his level and style when we let buzz Peterson go. Rick was a safe hire for a program that was experiencing turmoil outside the lines of the court. A program that had seen much instability that needed a solid and stable figure on the sidelines. Tennessee met those requirements when they hired coach Barnes. However, what they didn't realize from a basketball perspective, we hired a guy that could evaluate talent and go after guys that we could realistically land in our program at that time who stilll had the potential under the development of rick barnes to overachieve and have an imeadiate impact. This coach is something we have never seen at UT a basketball coach that can not only coach and recruit but can succeed with freshman 3 star players. Imagine if we would have hired him 8 years ago and watched him develop the top recruits in the country these past 3-4 years. This guy can flat out develope players and teach them to play the game to the point they will beat teams they are under matched against. The longer he stays the more we will see that. Barnes will develop kids regardless of their rating and if he stays long enough to recruit top prospects, look out.

Last edited by allvol21; 02-01-2017 at 11:36 PM..
VN Likes: 5
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #15
ATLVols

Not now. Barnes has done an amazing job this year. We need to recruit better and get bigger.
Reply With Quote TOP