5556 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Page 4. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 02-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #46
bleedingTNorange

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by calban View Post
And I said no because he has a top 10 class coming in.
I don't think we'd have one dissenter if we had a top 10 class coming in for 2017.
What's our 2017 class ranked?
So you'd prefer to be in Auburn's shoes? I don't give a crap what a class is ranked if you're winning, maybe root for Johnny Jones and LSU?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #47
bleedingTNorange

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncchris33 View Post
Judging by results, what does it matter?
Can't believe someone still wants to take this stance
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #48
BigOrangeMojo

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Good-Oil View Post
This is the first I've ever heard that O'Neill "wore his welcome out at Marquette due to his attitude". What is your source?
O'Neill has always had the reputation of being hard to get along with. He essentially lost the chance to coach Arizona since he couldn't get along with Lute Olsen and the administration out there. The way it was explained to me (from someone who worked with the Grizzlies the same time that O'Neill was there as well as a Memphis booster..they used to be in same conference as Marquette) was that O'Neill never got along with the administration at Marquette and that he was looking for the chance to get out due to a working environment that he didn't enjoy. Obviously this isn't first hand knowledge so take it with a grain of salt but his career path gives some credence to those comments. Marquette is a religious school and let's just say O'Neill could make a sailor blush. It may be something with the administration at Marquette since Buzz Williams did the same thing several years back by moving down to take a job at V-Tech (Gary Parrish of CBS Sports has reported that).
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #49
Special Ed
Massive Member

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Hard to evaluate Smart vs. Barnes unless we could somehow see how far Smart would have gotten us with the same roster we have now. Also hard to overlook their relative ages.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #50
calban
17-18 Return to Relevance

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingTNorange View Post
So you'd prefer to be in Auburn's shoes? I don't give a crap what a class is ranked if you're winning, maybe root for Johnny Jones and LSU?
As the Zen Master has said, "We'll see."
Old 02-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #51
bnhunt

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
I was just thinking about this the other night. I think at the time a majority of people would have taken Smart over Barnes. It's easy to have revisionist history now and say that Barnes was the right choice, but at the time I don't think that was true. However, I do think that Barnes should easily be SEC coach of the year if this team makes the NCAA tourney with this roster. Age would be the only reason I would even consider Smart over Barnes at this point.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #52
BigOrangeMojo

Ceiling is higher for Smart; however, you would have to worry more about him bolting for a better gig should he approach that ceiling. Given the Bruce/Martin/Tyndall mess, the program needs stability now. In 2 years, the answer may be different.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #53
Thunder Good-Oil

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnhunt View Post
I was just thinking about this the other night. I think at the time a majority of people would have taken Smart over Barnes. It's easy to have revisionist history now and say that Barnes was the right choice, but at the time I don't think that was true. However, I do think that Barnes should easily be SEC coach of the year if this team makes the NCAA tourney with this roster. Age would be the only reason I would even consider Smart over Barnes at this point.
It wouldn't be a simple majority... two years ago the overwhelming majority of fans would have preferred Shaka over CRB. Near unanimous. If the question is as of today which coach is preferred, CRB has closed the gap and possibly owns the majority.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #54
bleedingTNorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by calban View Post
As the Zen Master has said, "We'll see."
That's not what I asked, if I said we could coaches/roster with Auburn, would you?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #55
calban
17-18 Return to Relevance

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingTNorange View Post
That's not what I asked, if I said we could coaches/roster with Auburn, would you?
I like our roster and Barnes is over achieving so far.
I am a little concerned about our 2017 class.
Land Walker or Pons or both and we'll be in good shape.
We'll see.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #56
BowlBrother85

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vols 30 View Post
Obviously, RB still has a lot left in the tank. He is a outstanding game coach. I really don't like his recruiting methods, but it's working so what do I know.

If you don't think Smart will have Texas back to elite status sooner than later, then you're fooling yourself.

So, I would trade 60 year old RB for 39 year old SM
I think that's very much up in the air. Texas men's basketball is not a blue blood program by a long shot. Between 1980-1998, Texas only made the NCAA tournament 8 out of 19 seasons. During the 17 season tenure of Rick Barnes, they made the NCAA tournament 16 times including their only final four appearance in 2003. Jmo, but I think that after Smart's tenure is over, people will appreciate the job Barnes did there even more... just like what's happening for Mack Brown following the mess Charlie Strong left behind.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #57
therealitytheory

Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart? Would You Trade Barnes for Smart?
All these side comments about Barnes' age....62 is not exactly ancient.

Nick Saban is going to be 66. You don't hear bammers making noise about him holding down the fort a couple more years before handing over the reins to a younger guy.
Reply With Quote TOP