Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...  
643 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Watching the game last night ... Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 02-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #16
VolGee4

Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That same exuberance that you're saying is tacky now brought a level of passion and excitement for UT mens bball that hadn't been seen in a long time (if ever). Thompson Boling was rocking for every game of his tenure and his personality had a lot to do with that. The fact remains that BP is a solid coach.. be careful when trying to devalue his time here. The Auburn team just doesn't seem to have the chemistry required to be successful.. not always the coach's fault.
I don't think OP ever "devalued" Pearl's time here. Just said that he didn't look good last night. I agree. Obviously, I did not want Pearl to go. But something is different about his coaching now. Whether it's different assistants, players, or he is different, his team was not disciplined. Did not look like a team that he put out at UT.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #17
vols 30

Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Good-Oil View Post
He also lied about Brian Williams' failed drug test. He lied to his bosses. He tried to get a recruit to lie to cover up his lie. He also sat Maymon on the bench and played Steven ****ing Pearl instead. I'm glad he won many games, but I believe that many coaches could do the same thing at UT. TN was (and is) a great situation for a better than average coach.
6 years - 6 trips to the tournament. All that stuff you listed doesn't matter if you're winning. Do I want him back? Hell No, but I sure appreciate what he accomplished here
VN Likes: 4
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #18
VolsSportsFan
BJ>PJ

Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
Eh, I didn't mind Pearl's antics. When you win, you put up with a lot of things that you find dumb in other situations. Now that he's not winning and on another sideline, it seems bad.

People here have long criticized Muschamp for his sideline antics, even though Jones has always gotten as red faced and animated on the sidelines. And no one had a problem with Jones doing it until this past season, when suddenly it was a bigger deal after we didn't meet expectations.

Hopefully Florida blasts them next week and Butch Jones is fired on the spot.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #19
Thunder Good-Oil

Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vols 30 View Post
6 years - 6 trips to the tournament. All that stuff you listed doesn't matter if you're winning. Do I want him back? Hell No, but I sure appreciate what he accomplished here
I didn't say that I don't appreciate the wins, the 6x NCAATs, the EE, the #1 ranking for a week, bringing Bernard back into the UTBB family. In my original post I said that I wished that he would have kept his shirt on and had been an honest man. He had a lot of things working in his favor... he inherited a great roster, the boosters stepped up and invested heavily in the program, the fan base was starving for success, he had a great staff with Jones, Shay, and Forbes.

Every coach has had flaws. Pearl was better at PR than most of them. Devoe and O'Neill were just as competent with the Xs and Os. But KO was an ass with a nasty disposition. Devoe was stubborn, wouldn't accept change, and was too much of a disciplinarian to land great recruits late in his career. Buzz could recruit as well as any UT coach, but was lost once the games tipped off. Green was toxic to fans and had no structure... just a roll out the ball and let them play type of a coach. Cuonzo's dull personality was too much after Pearl's hyper salesman persona. Tyndall would have been a better fit immediately after Pearl. Mears could have been huge on the national level if the meds of today would have been around in the 1970s. Tyndall... busted. Who knows what his potential was or how much trouble he would gave gotten TN into? TN dodged a bullet with him but still got winged by it. It could gave been a head shot had he been around for a couple of years.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #20
orangemadam

Watching the game last night ...
Pearl and Butch are (almost) identical coaching twins. A lot of hype, emotion, energy, and very good recruiters but average at best in game situations. IMO
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #21
k-town_king

Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
I loved Bruce's time here. I do like coaches to have some class on the sidelines though.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #22
Ray In The Way

Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemadam View Post
Pearl and Butch are (almost) identical coaching twins. A lot of hype, emotion, energy, and very good recruiters but average at best in game situations. IMO

Difference is that Pearl was likeable and fun. OTOH....

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #23
Geter Gowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vols 30 View Post
Very well put
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #24
volnbama_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Good-Oil View Post
He also lied about Brian Williams' failed drug test. He lied to his bosses. He tried to get a recruit to lie to cover up his lie. He also sat Maymon on the bench and played Steven ****ing Pearl instead. I'm glad he won many games, but I believe that many coaches could do the same thing at UT. TN was (and is) a great situation for a better than average coach.
He also has the Deon Thomas incident
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #25
bnhunt

Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreak View Post
please point on the doll and show us where bruce touched you..
😂😂😂
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #26
highspeed
hijueputa!

I'm excited about Rick Barnes and the direction we're headed, but the Bruce Pearl era was just special. I've never seen a fanbase and coach connect the way Bruce connected with the fans in Knoxville. The excitement and atmosphere were electric. I hope we can regain that someday.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #27
Yankee_Vol
Now Senior Rated

Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
Quote:
That's a fair comparison
Old 02-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #28
bnhunt

Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ... Watching the game last night ...
Quote:
The difference being that Pearl would actually give you a real answer unlike Jones, who never deviates from his "message".
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #29
bnhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolGee4 View Post
I don't think OP ever "devalued" Pearl's time here. Just said that he didn't look good last night. I agree. Obviously, I did not want Pearl to go. But something is different about his coaching now. Whether it's different assistants, players, or he is different, his team was not disciplined. Did not look like a team that he put out at UT.
Bingo. This is exactly what I was saying. Last night was like a poor person's version of his Tennessee teams.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 02-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #30
General Jack
Adrenalized beancounter

I'll always be grateful to CBP for the good times he brought us, but dang if CRB didn't coach circles around him last night.

Extremely impressive what CRB is doing.
VN Likes: 4
Reply With Quote TOP