Williams shaping into form quickly

kamoshika

636208978551783334-uthoops3564.jpg

Williams' skill set hasn't surprised me but I didn't think he'd have this much of an impact as a freshman. Hard to believe he just turned 18 eight weeks ago.

While he has proven himself as a defensive leader for Tennessee, Oliver believes that there is still so much more potential for Williams than what fans have seen on the court thus far. "He hasn't even tapped into 50 percent of what he can do once he's fully engaged physically and mentally into the game," Oliver said. "I think there's a whole lot of Grant that hasn't been seen in terms of playing harder for longer.

"I do think he's a very intelligent kid, so I think he understands what we're trying to teach within our system. Unlike a lot of freshmen that come here in their first year and they struggle to understand the system, I think Grant understands the system. His challenges are more physical, where we're asking him to master the system but also be the hardest-playing guy on the court at the same time."

Freshman Williams Shaping into Form - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

“There are sometimes when we realize he’s a freshman,” Evans said. “But he’s grown up faster than usual freshmen that I’ve seen in my career.”

And that maturity, as much as his teammates may like to joke about it, is as much mental as it is physical, seemingly giving the Vols a lift when they need it the most. “He knows what he’s doing,” Evans said. “He’s smart, he thinks he has the best IQ on the team. That’s not very true. But he really does know what he’s doing and he plays hard.”

Busy, efficient Tennessee Vols basketball freshman Grant Williams stuffs stat sheet against Kentucky

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back