Vols in great shape for NCAA tourney!

Before the win our RPI was 63 and the SOS was 12

after:

RPI Rank: 52 SOS Rank: 5 Record: 10-9 (4-4)

but we ain't getting in the tourney..but hey NIT for a young team, with a key dismissal and injury, isn't bad.

Reactions: 4 people
It actually makes sense if you read it, but I see us NIT. Very proud of this team. All the Barnes naysayers have been shut up for a while. 4-3 vs Coach Cal. 2 win streak at home vs KY

Reactions: 3 people
Fox Sports trying to get folks on their website. We are a bubble team AT Best and that is not likely. Most likely an NIT bid. This reminds me of folks saying the FootVols could still go to the playoffs after losing to USC.

Hardly in great shape, it's possible but if anyone is expecting it to happen they're setting themselves up. Enjoy this team and season and if the NIT or better becomes of it then awesome!

Reactions: 6 people
Don't buy the hype, just enjoy the ride.

Try to keep things in perspective, and remember they are primarily Freshmen.

I don't want to see everyone flipping out if they drop a couple of games that they "shouldn't," just because they beat UK.

7 more wins and a couple in the SEC tourney. Maybe then. I see NIT.. Bubble team at best, probably gets burst.

I don't know if the Vols will make a tournament, but their hustle and their determination make them a whole lot of fun to watch.

I've been saying all along 18 regular season wins then we'd have to win 2 in Nashville. According to Ken Pomeroy our RPI is 43, ESPN has us 36, real-time RPI has us 52 and a schedule ranked top 5. Average RPI being a 43 so that would have us in or close to IN if NCAA tournament was now. We have 11 games left and after looking at the schedule the gauntlet part of it is over. I can easily see 7-4 or 8-3 finish.

Hardly in great shape, it's possible but if anyone is expecting it to happen they're setting themselves up. Enjoy this team and season and if the NIT or better becomes of it then awesome!

Happens after every win. Next loss will be accompanied by "Fahr Barnes!" posts by the dozens. Such a bi-polar fanbase.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm still be happy with a winning record and an NIT bid. Freshmen are unpredictable and inconsistent. The team is still small and good coaches with a lot of size on their roster can create challenging game plans. NCAAT consideration is gravy.

Getting some kind of post season bid should be a good saling point to recruits. And so many times a team makes an NIT run and the following year make huge improvements. So at this point any post season bid is gravy.

from what I've seen this year...ain't gonna doubt anything about these Vols...I expect the unexpected...:)

GO VOLS!

I think the NCAA tournament is possible but not probable. If UT had held on against UNC and the rest of the season played out as it has so far, a 12-8 Vols team would be looking pretty good for the tournament with a strong finish. But, UT did not beat UNC (obviously) and lost two games (Arkansas and Ole Miss) after building substantial leads. Heck, this team's resume would look much better with the UNC loss and holding on against either or both Arkansas and Ole Miss. The team is very young and inconsistent. So, if UT uses the UK win as a springboard and beats K-State, the tournament conversation starts being worth having. But, if UT does not beat K-State and remains inconsistent here on out, the NIT is best case scenario.

Personally, I think making either tournament will be good for the development of this team. Making the NCAA tournament for a likely one and out appearance (or a second game of the first weekend at best appearance) gives credibility to Barnes' program for recruiting, etc., and would give our young players a taste of the big-time. The downside would be the likely abbreviated nature of the appearance would not give as much time for development in practice. The NIT, on the other hand, will not provide as much validation for the program but, provided we win a couple of games or more, would give more time for this team to develop in preparation for next year. Irrespective of the outcome, I am excited about the direction of UT basketball for truly the first-time post-Bruce.

VN Store

Back