CRB coaching them up

Thunder Good-Oil

One obvious thing that TN was prepared for versus Kentucky was to slow up their transition game. Almost every time Kentucky tried to push the ball, there were 2 or 3 Volunteers already back on defense. They obviously worked very hard in practice on disrupting their offense.

One other thing happening last night that was the best I've seen all year was TN's reaction to double and triple teams. When you are being double teamed that means somebody is not being guarded. TN players did a great job recognizing the defense before being trapped. They were outstanding at attracting doubles and triples and passing the ball before the traps were established.

Reactions: 11 people
In the valley that has become UT athletics, Barnes seems like the current lone sliver of hope. This team has been fun to watch. They won't make the NCAA this year, but no team would want them as a first round matchup.

Reactions: 10 people
Be interesting to see if Barnes can coach this win out of their minds before Saturday.
Be just like a bunch of youngsters to come out and lay an egg.
or do they mature a little and focus on the next one.

Reactions: 5 people
Be interesting to see if Barnes can coach this win out of their minds before Saturday.

Man, if Vols win Saturday it's gonna be a rough week for the "Barnes is done/just collecting a check crowd".

Reactions: 8 people

I'm glad they have an extra day between the mid-week and week-end games this week.

I was thinking about the hokey thing that Majors did about 25 years ago after a particular big win. He had some kind of platform set up that represented "cloud 9". He had the entire team climb up on it and then jump off.

Reactions: 2 people
He is a very good coach. There is little to no talent on this team. Just think what he could do with the level of talent that Warlick is coaching with?? She is flat out terrible.

Reactions: 3 people
Man, if Vols win Saturday it's gonna be a rough week for the "Barnes is done/just collecting a check crowd".

If you watch Barnes after the Williams make with a min or so to go, you'll see a guy who wanted that win more than anybody in the arena. Not a guy sitting on his a$$ collecting a check.

Reactions: 11 people
He is a very good coach. There is little to no talent on this team. Just think what he could do with the level of talent that Warlick is coaching with?? She is flat out terrible.

Little to no talent? I believe there is quite a bit of talent, it's just very young talent. The future is bright. :hi:

Reactions: 19 people

This team has a ton of talent. Don't be fooled by the stars. His eye for talent should be commended! This team is far from untalented! Their are athletes all over the floor

Reactions: 9 people
If you watch Barnes after the Williams make with a min or so to go, you'll see a guy who wanted that win more than anybody in the arena. Not a guy sitting on his a$$ collecting a check.

Know exactly what you're talking about, thought about recording that 10 seconds or so on my phone and posting it...most engaged he's been, wanted that win last night very badly, but was also very happy with how his guys had played, you could tell.

And the whole collecting a check narrative is basilio and his minions, if the guy wanted to collect money he's made plenty in his career, he didn't need the Tennessee job. Anyone who has spent time at practice or around the program said he has more fire than any previous Tennessee coach they've covered, that just doesn't fit the narrative many want to push.

Reactions: 12 people
Great win!!
One of the benefits of playing UK is the turnover they have every year and getting star players to gel. It's a great win, but I would swap for UKs record and ranking and a loss to them.

I will say that this team will be formidable in the next 2 to 3 years with the guard play. Barnes has got to find a replacement for Hubbs and one more big.

I just hate when the guys start taking quick shots and don't pass on offense. I know Barnes wants them to pass it. Everyone can see they do better when they do it. It was evident early in last night's game they can't shoot early and be successful. I'm talking about the guy bringing it up and trying to do stuff on his own, not a quick pass for an open layup or shot.

Not to beat a dead horse but it's why I wait til a year is over, still plenty of time for it to crash or get better.

And I'll stick to my opinion that it takes all kinds to make a special message board.
This isn't just the best local board, it's one of the best nationally because it allows guys to lose their sh## (within limits) and make a$$es of themselves.
Be pretty boring if everyone kept their opinions to themselves and took the attitude to reserve judgement until the end of the season.
I salute Freak and staff for their tolerance and understanding even if it means an occasional warning and time out.

Little to no talent. Laughable alternative fact there

Last edited:
Little to no talent. Laughable alternative fact there

Many people were upset because this team lacked the Kentucky stars. Maybe he is also good at evaluating talent (and heart)

To be truthful, I was hopeful after the NC game, but after Mostella's dismissal, I thought we couldn't win a game like this. Once again he proved me wrong.

Reactions: 1 person
Know exactly what you're talking about, thought about recording that 10 seconds or so on my phone and posting it...most engaged he's been, wanted that win last night very badly, but was also very happy with how his guys had played, you could tell.

And the whole collecting a check narrative is basilio and his minions, if the guy wanted to collect money he's made plenty in his career, he didn't need the Tennessee job. Anyone who has spent time at practice or around the program said he has more fire than any previous Tennessee coach they've covered, that just doesn't fit the narrative many want to push.

AGREED!!!!

Barnes made more movement in that ten second outburst than CM did the who 4 or so years!!
You could even read his lips when he told his lead assistant who was trying to calm him down to : LEAVE ME ALONE!!! Nuff said!:bash::bash:

AGREED!!!!

Barnes made more movement in that ten second outburst than CM did the who 4 or so years!!
You could even read his lips when he told his lead assistant who was trying to calm him down to : LEAVE ME ALONE!!! Nuff said!:bash::bash:

Kesling said that when Barnes subbed for Williams, as Grant was heading to the bench Barnes says to him: "Isn't this fun?!?!?"

Reactions: 4 people
since you are speaking of Kesling......his call last night on radio was a real joy to listen.......now if someone would tell Bert to quit screaming MONEY

Check out the Scout/Hoopsville forums. That place is incredibly tame/boring. This place is way better. Even with SD.
None better around. Don't understand the guys that want posters like SD banned. Great entertainment.
Wish Freak and his guys another BANNER year.

Calipari = Better recruiter
Barnes = Better coach

Let's say he is better at getting the top guys to commit. I wouldn't necessarily say he has a better eye for talent.

Every freshman on this team (aside from Johnson) has shown they have the skills to play at a high level. Name me another Tn recruiting class that can say that (as that's not even mentioning there is 7 of them)

Edit: only excluded Johnson because of the redshirt. He has crazy athletic ability so I don't really have doubts about him too.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back