Preemptive "SEC Officiating is awful" thread

iKrager

But really. It seems like SEC officiating is at all time low. Some of the calls/no calls have been absolutely mind boggling (and it goes both ways). The problem is there is no consistency and theres not a set of standards on how games are supposed to be officiated.

Anyone see the Phantom call on Grant Williams against MSU? Hubbs fouled a big man and they stuck the foul on Williams and his reaction was "what, are you serious?". It was pretty funny and sad to see. I would make the GIF if I could access the film easier.

Reactions: 2 people
But really. It seems like SEC officiating is at all time low. Some of the calls/no calls have been absolutely mind boggling (and it goes both ways). The problem is there is no consistency and theres not a set of standards on how games are supposed to be officiated.

Anyone see the Phantom call on Grant Williams against MSU? Hubbs fouled a big man and they stuck the foul on Williams and his reaction was "what, are you serious?". It was pretty funny and sad to see. I would make the GIF if I could access the film easier.

Can't find a bulb for the projector?

Reactions: 1 person
It's beyond bad. It reminds me of the cop on Supertroopers doing the meow joke...at this point, I honestly think they are competing for who can make blatantly worse calls.

I always thought NBA officiating was beyond pathetic but College officiating is getting to be about worse if not, on the same level already. The NCAA needs to do something cause it's getting really hard to watch college basketball anymore.

One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to watching basketball is when fans complain about officiating. Bad calls rarely cost games. Their are other, bigger factors that causes teams to lose games, but for some reason the officiating is the first and sometimes the only card pulled as to why their team lost. I guess it's being around all these Cats fans that made me this way, because they never lose because their team plays terrible, it's always the refs fault.

One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to watching basketball is when fans complain about officiating. Bad calls rarely cost games. Their are other, bigger factors that causes teams to lose games, but for some reason the officiating is the first and sometimes the only card pulled as to why their team lost. I guess it's being around all these Cats fans that made me this way, because they never lose because their team plays terrible, it's always the refs fault.

UK fans are passionate about basketball which is a good thing but you're right. Even when their team plays terrible or Calipari gets out coached, it's always the referees fault that they lost. It's annoying.

It's not missed calls that are the problem. Those usually even out somewhat. The problem is the complete disruption of any flow to the games. There were 55 fouls whistled in the Mississippi game.

Reactions: 3 people
I definitely agree that officiating doesn't cost anyone the game, but you can't sit there and tell me officiating doesn't largely impact the outcome of the game.

I have no factual evidence for this, but if I had to guess I would say more whistles are blown now, than ever before. If more of those whistles are wrong/off base, then it's impact will have more of an effect on today's game.

Don't know how it affects the outcome, but sure makes SEC basketball hard to watch.
Watched a Big 12 game last night. Minimal fouls called, good flow and a barn burner of a finish.

I definitely agree that officiating doesn't cost anyone the game, but you can't sit there and tell me officiating doesn't largely impact the outcome of the game.

I have no factual evidence for this, but if I had to guess I would say more whistles are blown now, than ever before. If more of those whistles are wrong/off base, then it's impact will have more of an effect on today's game.

I think the biggest problem is undisciplined play. Players have failed to adapt to points of emphasis. This year there are stricter rules interpretations in regard to putting hands on offensive players. The players haven't adjusted and the refs have been persistent with the enforcement.

There's this hypothesis/theory about officiating in basketball. If you have two good officials on a crew with one mediocre/bad official, the good ones can bring up the level of the bad one. If you have two bad ones with a good one, the bad ones bring down the level of the good official.

Of course, as previously stated by CatsQueue, no one would want Ted Valentine and Doug Shows on the same crew. A four-person crew of officials couldn't help those two.

Yeah I agree. It can interrupt the flow of the game like you and Thunder said. I guess it could foul a player out or two also. But majority of UK fans, I'm sure that all fanbases are like this, but I am mostly surrounded by UK fans so I guess that's why, complain about the officiating every loss they have.

I don't think you have to think it costs us the game to acknowledge the officiating is awful.

I never blame the officiating unless there is some extreme case; but the officiating gets worse every year. And with the increase of technology, there's no reason that should be happening.

Horrid refs in the SEC is nothing new.
The worst part is that there's NO accountability whatsoever so it doesn't matter how bad it is, nothing is done. It's the best example of the good ole boys network there is. The women's game is even worse than the men.

As I mentioned previously, it has more to do with how officiating is being administered rather than the guys actually blowing the whistles. If they're told by their bosses to not allow certain play and the play does not change, you can't really hold the game refs as being at fault. It's the supervisors mandating specific enforcement criteria and then players and coaches failing to adapt. It magnifies the handful of blown calls that have been a normal part of basketball since they cut the bottoms out of the peach baskets. Hopefully the persistent happy whistles will affect how the game is played and it makes it better in the long run.

must admit...it is really bad, not only in the SEC, my friend...reminds me of octo's getting their driver's license in Florida...sign where...:crazy:...:)

GO VOLS!

The problem for me is there is zero inconsistency. It would be one thing if one crew let them play and another crew called it tight, but we see them change their minds in the midst of the same game. They'll call fouls for breathing on a player for 5 minutes straight then suddenly let them closeline someone and no call. You can't switch like that and expect players to know to even handle it.

My biggest pet peeve is when they let the offensive player get away with about anything. Newsflash, a shooter jumping into a defender standing there with his arms straight up isn't a defensive foul.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbss...-rule-changes-this-season-things-to-know/amp/

There are four focal points the NCAA and college basketball are honing in on. First and foremost, reducing physicality -- especially in the post -- is pivotal. Things like body-bumping the ball handler, outward bumps on screens, freedom of movement for offensive players with the ball, and "offensive-initiated" contact for legal defenders are also going to be strictly legislated on the floor.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbss...-rule-changes-this-season-things-to-know/amp/

There are four focal points the NCAA and college basketball are honing in on. First and foremost, reducing physicality -- especially in the post -- is pivotal. Things like body-bumping the ball handler, outward bumps on screens, freedom of movement for offensive players with the ball, and "offensive-initiated" contact for legal defenders are also going to be strictly legislated on the floor.
God forbid guys that weigh 250-240 play physical.

God forbid guys that weigh 250-240 play physical.

I'd be pleased with more finesse and less banging. Contact is okay as long as it's ancillary rather than the game being a shoving match. Touch fouls are stupid when no advantage has been gained. Beating up on each other is stupid too.

VN Store

Back