Despite record vols ahead of schedule

Good article.

You know, anything is possible, especially with a young team. However, I am going to go ahead and be on the optimistic side with this team.

I have watched UT bball since the early '70's. One thing I feel we have lacked in recent years is multiple players who can create and score. At the beginning of the year, I was asking myself who was going to do the scoring, but even with Mostella's departure, that is not a major question in my mind any more. The only two that I never expect to score much are Evans and Alexander. Also, I believe if Bone continues to improve, much of our poor guard play could be a thing of the past.

I like our chances for the rest of the season. Not saying we will win them all. We won't. I just believe we can compete with anybody now that the Freshman have gotten their feet wet; and we do not have to have any one player take over for the team.

While this team had won me over from being anti Barnes I think it's irresponsible for any talk of the NCAA tourney this season. For that reason the story is a fail for Me.

While this team had won me over from being anti Barnes I think it's irresponsible for any talk of the NCAA tourney this season. For that reason the story is a fail for Me.

Incromprehensible to some? Sure. Irresponsible? Nope.

The point is that that our schedule means that our record is not as bad as it looks. Also, we are regularly playing 5 freshmen and 3 sophmores. If they continue in their growth, there is no reason to believe that they can't at least be in the conversation.

Now, I am not saying that they WILL be on the bubble, but it is mathematically and logically within the realm of possibility, in a relatively weak SEC.

In my opinion, people are just being "politically correct" when they are unwillingly to at least entertain the possibility...A win over Big Blue and/or SC, and all of a sudden it goes from "not possible" to "possible". Well, are we saying that is so unlikely as to not even be worth discussing?

I personally do not think that it is that unlikely. Those teams are no better than some of the teams that we took to the buzzer.

Last edited:
With a great draw in the SECT and an upset or two knocking out potential matchups with KY and USCe and Florida and Georgia, an NCAAT bid is only 4 consecutive wins in March away.

If nothing else, they're fun to watch. Yes, they're young and play like it at times but they're aggressive. We need a true big man. With that piece in place, they would be very good.

Reactions: 1 person
NIT this year. But the next 3 years the sky is the limit. We have freshman outplaying upperclassmen now, just imagine how they'll play when they're actually upperclassmen.

This is something we haven't been able to say in a long time. We have a point guard, and not some 2 guard that we are asking to play the point position and the best part is we have him for another 2-3 years! Not only can he distribute the ball, he can score it too. In the only two games where he average more than 30 minutes a game he's scored 20+.

We have the 4 spot locked down. Grant Williams looks like a stud out there averaging 11 ppg, 6 rpg, and 2 bpg as a true freshman.

We have 3 wings that can knock down the 3 really well and that can also get to the rim. Bowden, Phillips, and Turner.

The future is bright for our basketball program.

We better hope that Barnes wants to coach for another 8-10 years because there will be a lot of good programs looking to hire coaches within the next 5-10 years. UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, Michigan State, etc.

Incromprehensible to some? Sure. Irresponsible? Nope.

The point is that that our schedule means that our record is not as bad as it looks. Also, we are regularly playing 5 freshmen and 3 sophmores. If they continue in their growth, there is no reason to believe that they can't at least be in the conversation.

Now, I am not saying that they WILL be on the bubble, but it is mathematically and logically within the realm of possibility, in a relatively weak SEC.

In my opinion, people are just being "politically correct" when they are unwillingly to at least entertain the possibility...A win over Big Blue and/or SC, and all of a sudden it goes from "not possible" to "possible". Well, are we saying that is so unlikely as to not even be worth discussing?

I personally do not think that it is that unlikely. Those teams are no better than some of the teams that we took to the buzzer.

It has nothing to do with being politically correct, it has to do with expectations and the reaction of the fanbase to the end results. Time and time again this fan base has built up unrealistic expectations only to go apocalyptic when the team does not reach those unrealistic expectations (this is mostly with the football team, but it is the same fanbase). It is irresponsible to start talking about making the NCAA tournament because, as smart as most people are, they are dumb as a post when it comes to the expectations of their favorite sports team. It will only lead to gnashing of teeth and a frenzy of emotional eruptions when they, inevitably, do not reach the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Stoked, def agree with everything you're saying. I'm just really hoping Williams can dodge the sophomore slump.

I think this team potentially stands to gain a lot from Alexander. Williams and Fulk are solid, and they look like they may be a dynamic duo in years to come, but if Kyle can back them up with just solid defense and rebounding, that would be the difference between good and great.

And yes, it's nucking futs that we have a PG.

It is amazing the record of the teams that have beaten us that was mentioned in the story.

If KY gets upset in the SEC Tourney, we have a real shot to win the SEC. Isn't that an automatic bid to the big dance?

VN Store

Back