Jarnell Stokes

LibertyVolance

The last news I saw on Stokes was that he was waived by Denver. Does anyone have an idea why Jarnell didn't develop in the NBA? It appears he never gained any traction in the pro ranks.

He might find a home on someone's bench. Doubt he'd ever start or get significant playing time though. It's tough to make it in the NBA.

The last news I saw on Stokes was that he was waived by Denver. Does anyone have an idea why Jarnell didn't develop in the NBA? It appears he never gained any traction in the pro ranks.

My understanding was that he was supposed to eventually replace Zack Randolph as a forward with Memphis, but I never saw him play in any games.
My guess is that he wasn't developing quickly enough or he just did not have the talent to ever replace Randolph, so he was traded/cut.

My understanding was that he was supposed to eventually replace Zack Randolph as a forward with Memphis, but I never saw him play in any games.
My guess is that he wasn't developing quickly enough or he just did not have the talent to ever replace Randolph, so he was traded/cut.

My observations of him were that he couldn't really jump or elevate beyond his arm reach. At 6'9, he should have been able to use that body mass, but those big feet just never got too far off the floor.

By being NBA D-League MVP last season you'd think a team would give him that chance. The Nuggets did if you really want to call it a chance. He didn't even get into any regular season games.

In my opinion, any player that is named NBA D-League MVP should get a real chance to play in the NBA. I don't care what your size or build is like. He's really never been given a fair chance. However, he would be better of playing overseas & making more money anyhow.

Last edited:
I kinda agree Tony.

But the problem is he's on the Nuggets. I haven't watched a single game, but just looking at the roster and knowing these players tells me a little. Nurkic and Jokic are younger, bigger, and more what the Nuggets want. Gallinari is a long time contributer as a big guy who can shoot. Faried is a veteran and will get his minutes as a hustler. Then he's competing with Arthur (a competent vet) and some guy like Juancho.

Like we've said a ton, he doesn't fit the NBA mold. He's not big. He's not a jumper. He's not necessarily a good shooter. But at least he gets to practice every day with a pro team. I would have really liked him staying in Memphis. That team fit his style better.

Reactions: 1 person
Speaking of Jokic, if you haven't seen him play, you need to. Arvydas Sabonis 2.0 dude is so skilled.

Everyone wants to make up excuses for Stokes. Maybe he's not good enough for the NBA?

I disagree with you because we have less talented players on some teams right now in the NBA. However, he's still better off playing overseas because he can make a heck of a lot more money. Thanks!

My second favorite vol ever, lofton gets first by a hair.

I feel ya. Lofton was one heck of a college player/shooter! To bad he was slow on feet. If he could have played D, he would have had a good shot at catching on somewhere in the league. Lofton always kinda reminded me of Dukes Jason Williams. Jason's bad defense was really exposed in the League, and that made for a short career.

I disagree with you because we have less talented players on some teams right now in the NBA. However, he's still better off playing overseas because he can make a heck of a lot more money. Thanks!

Sorry Tony, I'll take NBA coaches opinion over anyone on here's opinion on whether or not he's capable of playing in the NBA.

VN Store

Back