Who's going to step up?

nash101

Going into to the same with South Carolina, I wondered how the team would respond after Mostella was dismissed. I remember after Tyler Smith was kicked off the team for more dramatic reasons, the team rallied and beat a top ranked team like Kansas! Tonight, was the total opposite as we had more turnovers than points in the first half (and yet was still a close game). We didn't hit a 3-pointer until late in the game. Neither are good signs for the rest of the season, I'm not much a doomsday kind of guy, but if someone does not step to as our leader (Hubbs), this season can go down the tubes fast.

No one expected SEC title contenders, or even an NCAA tourney team, but playing top 10 teams close gave us hope. That may have all gone out the window with the loss of our best outside scorer (and good riddance if he was a bad apple). Pearl's teams did just fine after losing the only big man (Major Wingate) his first year and All SEC Tyler Smith because everyone bought in and rallied. I didn't see that tonight so hopefully something happens before the Vandy game

Going into to the same with South Carolina, I wondered how the team would respond after Mostella was dismissed. I remember after Tyler Smith was kicked off the team for more dramatic reasons, the team rallied and beat a top ranked team like Kansas! Tonight, was the total opposite as we had more turnovers than points in the first half (and yet was still a close game). We didn't hit a 3-pointer until late in the game. Neither are good signs for the rest of the season, I'm not much a doomsday kind of guy, but if someone does not step to as our leader (Hubbs), this season can go down the tubes fast.

No one expected SEC title contenders, or even an NCAA tourney team, but playing top 10 teams close gave us hope. That may have all gone out the window with the loss of our best outside scorer (and good riddance if he was a bad apple). Pearl's teams did just fine after losing the only big man (Major Wingate) his first year and All SEC Tyler Smith because everyone bought in and rallied. I didn't see that tonight so hopefully something happens before the Vandy game

Lol....gee I wonder if those rosters had anything to do with that.

Reactions: 1 person
To answer the question, I think it will be shembari or Parker. Bone has to get back in game shape

Haven't been able to watch many games live this year and I picked a horrible one to watch. What a cluster. So Car cause a lot of that, but if UT can't put forth a better effort than that then they'll be hard pressed to win many more games. Losing Bone, then Fulkerson then Mostella takes a toll. When you take away guys like Fulkerson and Mostella, who bring energy to the team, you get the sh*t show we saw tonight. We just didn't seem emotionally invested into the game tonight. Young teams will drive you crazy. I'm sure it's driving Barnes crazy.

The thing I'll miss the most about Mostella is he wasn't afraid to take a shot. We have too many guys that will pass the ball forever and end up making a bad pass. Mostella would say to hell with that and shoot it. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it was bad, but he was aggressive. Unfortunately, he made a boneheaded decision and we'll be paying for it.

They were clearly affected by the situation. Going to be a long season. Bone and Turner to indecisive. They dribble to much and when they do make a decision its a force. Hubbs is a role player and nothing more. Parker is going to be good but looks like he is indecisive. Bowden is probably our best ahooter now. Phillips is to aggressive. He forces things that arent there. Team chemistry was off tonight. They need to just step back. Look at each other. And someone just say suck it up buttercup.

Reactions: 2 people
I gotta say Robert Hubbs. He's gotta let the PG be the floor general but help the PG make sure everybody is in position. When the play breaks down Hubbs needs the ball in his hands. On defense, lead by example. Dive after balls, play smart, don't foul, get back on defense, hold players accountable if they're out of position. He's the only senior on the team with vast SEC experience and all the players know that. Not that the final season win/loss record all falls on his shoulders but the team won't develop as quick if he isn't stepping up and providing some leadership on the court.

Last edited:
Guards as a whole have to step it up. Barnes even said they've regressed since the ETSU and A & M games. Turner, Bone, Phillips and Bowden have to be more consistent. It's rare for freshmen to be consistent and they won't be unfortunately. That's why it'll take a team effort. We need Hubbs and Williams to be the leaders but that's asking a lot from a guy that has rarely done that since he's been there and a freshman. Gonna be a lot of lessons learned this year and hope they can learn from them for next year.

Too soon after losing DM to rally IMO. Need more than about 24 hours.

That's an excellent point and why I'm not ready to write off the season based on the one bad game. Despite the lowest offensive output all year, they need to rediscover who they are in practice - and hopefully find someone to step up and be our scorer. The point of over passing on the perimeter is so true.

If only Phillips and Schofield could play up to the potential that they showed last year then this team could beat a lot if the teams left on the schedule. If not, 20 losses is a possibility.

I gotta say Robert Hubbs. He's gotta let the PG be the floor general but help the PG make sure everybody is in position. When the play breaks down Hubbs needs the ball in his hands. On defense, lead by example. Dive after balls, play smart, don't foul, get back on defense, hold players accountable if they're out of position. He's the only senior on the team with vast SEC experience and all the players know that. Not that the final season win/loss record all falls on his shoulders but the team won't develop as quick if he isn't stepping up and providing some leadership on the court.

Corrected? I'm always amazed that people still expect Hubbs to take control of this team on a regular basis.

They say that the head basketball coach has mailed it in......so why wouldn't his players?

Corrected? I'm always amazed that people still expect Hubbs to take control of this team on a regular basis.

I was serious. If he wants to win he will. Probably a tad bit too optimistic but serious.

did watch the last three games, starting with about the 1:30, mark in the first half against Arkansas

They say that the head basketball coach has mailed it in......so why wouldn't his players?

I haven't seen that at all. No idea what goes on in practice, but during the game Barnes seems engaged and is coaching / teaching the players. I'm sure he is frustrated at some of the bone head mistakes - but those are expected from such a young team. As the nucleus continues to improve and if we can fill some of the holes (like a big man in the middle) this team should be much better next year with the experience they are gaining. I'd just like to get to NIT this year and that is doable if someone can replace the scoring void left with Mostella's departure

i haven't seen that at all. No idea what goes on in practice, but during the game barnes seems engaged and is coaching / teaching the players. I'm sure he is frustrated at some of the Bone head mistakes - but those are expected from such a young team. As the nucleus continues to improve and if we can fill some of the holes (like a big man in the middle) this team should be much better next year with the experience they are gaining. I'd just like to get to nit this year and that is doable if someone can replace the scoring void left with mostella's departure

fyp

Something Barnes' did tonight which I'm a big fan of...the rotation shortened up, allowed the best players to play more and guys to get in a rhythm.

Hubbs: 35
Williams: 33
Bone: 31
Schofield: 23
Turner: 19
Phillips: 19
Bowden: 16
Evans: 16
Alexander: 6
Parker: 2

I think the Evans/Alexander minutes could fluctuate, but Evans just played Kornet better tonight than Alexander.

JMO, but we will really miss Hubbs next season. He has gotten to the point that every time he drives or shoots within 10 feet, I almost expect it to go in. He has gotten more aggressive in the paint and is very disciplined in his shot selection. I think he's been a pretty underrated asset this year.

JMO, but we will really miss Hubbs next season. He has gotten to the point that every time he drives or shoots within 10 feet, I almost expect it to go in. He has gotten more aggressive in the paint and is very disciplined in his shot selection. I think he's been a pretty underrated asset this year.

I agree, but this year was Punter, the year before was Richardson, the year before that was McRae and so on...not saying we will have someone as automatic as he is from 10', but maybe someone emerges who's better from 3 and a better defender. Not meant as a dig on Hubbs at all, I've loved his play this year, just saying that every year it seems people say we are gonna miss so&so, where are the points gonna come from, who's gonna rebound the ball etc...yet someone always emerges.

Admiral seems to be picking up the pieces and building on last year finally. I can't help but wonder if Fulkerson's presence/minutes hampered him and if so what does next year look like for him.

VN Store

Back