Player of the Week in Barnes' Dog House:

Shembari Phillips

Previous winners:
Kwe Parker
Admiral Schofield
Lamonte Turner

Two time honorable mention:
Kyle Alexander

Phillips played horrible against Arkansas. Barnes has plenty of options at guard so if you don't show up one game you might sit the next one. Schofiled showed out tonight which is more of what I expected from him coming into this season. Maybe he is finally healthy. We need him to keep playing like this every game, especially if the refs continue to pick on Williams.

Reactions: 3 people
I just thought it was an initiation into the fold...:)
PS. May take several to ensure results...:)
PSII. Sure love to watch this team...6' 3"...smallest team in the SEC...dare say...the nation...and, as always...
PSIII. Play bigger than they look...:pepper::yahoo:

GO VOLS!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Phillips played horrible against Arkansas. Barnes has plenty of options at guard so if you don't show up one game you might sit the next one. Schofiled showed out tonight which is more of what I expected from him coming into this season. Maybe he is finally healthy. We need him to keep playing like this every game, especially if the refs continue to pick on Williams.

Your correct, he rode the bench today because of his play against Arkansas. He wasn't effective offensively or defensively in that game. Can anyone tell me why our guards don't get up into the ballhandler and get over the screen, rather than just running into the screen and hoping the post player will get out to the three point line to contest?

Your correct, he rode the bench today because of his play against Arkansas. He wasn't effective offensively or defensively in that game. Can anyone tell me why our guards don't get up into the ballhandler and get over the screen, rather than just running into the screen and hoping the post player will get out to the three point line to contest?

Good point. It is frustrating to watch that happen time and time again.

Watched the game, saw the stat about shortest team at 6'3. Is that starters or as a whole team? Not that it makes any difference, just wondered.

Watched the game, saw the stat about shortest team at 6'3. Is that starters or as a whole team? Not that it makes any difference, just wondered.

Probably the entire roster. The walk ons are 6'0", 6'1", and 6'2". Parker, Turner, Bone. and Mostella are 6'0, 6'0", 6'1", and 6'1". Phillips and Bowden are 6'3". The other 7 are 6'4", 3 at 6'5", 2 at 6'7", and 6'10". That's 16" under 6'3" and 20" above 6'3" or... 4" above 6'3" divided by 16 players, so the average is 6 foot 3 and a quarter inches.

Next in the dog house should be Jordan Bone.

Puzzling wasn't it. 5 minutes left, down 8, standing at the key dribbling 15 seconds off the clock. Barnes was even puzzled.
Of course the rest of the team was standing around thinking about after game snacks.

But in post game, Barnes mentioned Williams as not engaged, acted like he didn't want to play. So take yer pick or both in the DGH with Shembari.

Last edited:
Puzzling wasn't it. 5 minutes left, down 8, standing at the key dribbling 15 seconds off the clock. Barnes was even puzzled.
Of course the rest of the team was standing around thinking about after game snacks.

But in post game, Barnes mentioned Williams as not engaged, acted like he didn't want to play. So take yer pick or both in the DGH with Shembari.
Good point. I know most will disagree with me here, but I think we were playing better offensively when Bone wasn't our PG. I think he tries his best to set us up in the Half court, but I think he possesses the ball for way too long. I think he is confident he won't turn it over - which is great, in theory but we need to move the ball consistently for our offense to work.

When Kwe/Turner/Shembarri/other wings were running point, they wouldn't hold on the ball for long periods of time and would actively change positions and ball handlers.

TLDR; it seems like Bone stagnates the offense. He is a good, solid PG but our offense runs smoother when he isn't our PG.

Reactions: 1 person
Probably the entire roster. The walk ons are 6'0", 6'1", and 6'2". Parker, Turner, Bone. and Mostella are 6'0, 6'0", 6'1", and 6'1". Phillips and Bowden are 6'3". The other 7 are 6'4", 3 at 6'5", 2 at 6'7", and 6'10". That's 16" under 6'3" and 20" above 6'3" or... 4" above 6'3" divided by 16 players, so the average is 6 foot 3 and a quarter inches.

I'm really unsure why exactly but Barnes likes to decrease the actual player heighths. May be to make opponents underestimate his team.

However, we are still probably the shortest team in the league.

Good point. I know most will disagree with me here, but I think we were playing better offensively when Bone wasn't our PG. I think he tries his best to set us up in the Half court, but I think he possesses the ball for way too long. I think he is confident he won't turn it over - which is great, in theory but we need to move the ball consistently for our offense to work.

When Kwe/Turner/Shembarri/other wings were running point, they wouldn't hold on the ball for long periods of time and would actively change positions and ball handlers.

TLDR; it seems like Bone stagnates the offense. He is a good, solid PG but our offense runs smoother when he isn't our PG.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of these guys are rythmn shooters. Half court kills that. If we had a couple pure shooters it could work. When the uptempo goes our offense goes out the window.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of these guys are rythmn shooters. Half court kills that. If we had a couple pure shooters it could work. When the uptempo goes our offense goes out the window.

Bone is just too passive at the point, content to set up out half court if the main break isn't there. With this team, we need a point who will push the point of attack and set up a secondary break. If we can't get anything off a quick ball reversal and cut, then we still have 20 seconds to set up our (stagnant) half court motion. Our entry passing into the post is below average at best right now. Turner appears to be the best option at point right now, though his suspect ball handling can use some improvement.

I'm really unsure why exactly but Barnes likes to decrease the actual player heighths. May be to make opponents underestimate his team.

However, we are still probably the shortest team in the league.

Yeah, Mostella is shrinking. I thought that he was almost 6'5" at the RTL before his freshman year.

Bone is just too passive at the point, content to set up out half court if the main break isn't there. With this team, we need a point who will push the point of attack and set up a secondary break. If we can't get anything off a quick ball reversal and cut, then we still have 20 seconds to set up our (stagnant) half court motion. Our entry passing into the post is below average at best right now. Turner appears to be the best option at point right now, though his suspect ball handling can use some improvement.

I think he may be confused about what Barnes expects because even he was questioning his holding the ball at the end. This is most likely a result of missing a good part of the season due to injury. Look for Barnes to correct it.

Bone is playing about as I expected. Turner was showing very little in his first few games. Bone unfortunately doesn't get to knock off the rust versus weak pre-conference opponents.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a sub .500 conference record and then have a strong showing in the SECT... maybe even getting to the finals if KY is in the opposite side of the bracket or gets knocked off before playing TN in the same bracket.

Bone is playing about as I expected. Turner was showing very little in his first few games. Bone unfortunately doesn't get to knock off the rust versus weak pre-conference opponents.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a sub .500 conference record and then have a strong showing in the SECT... maybe even getting to the finals if KY is in the opposite side of the bracket or gets knocked off before playing TN in the same bracket.

I would brush my teeth with a machete if we beat uk in the sec tourney.

I know you didn't say we would beat them,but still.

VN Store

Back