Major fail by the UTAD

Thunder Good-Oil

So in the Arkansas game thread it's been posted that TN Basketball has not been on the radio in Nashville for the last few games. The station carrying UTBB (WGFX 104.5) has been pre-empting the Vol Network coverage in favor of the Titan's coach's show. Really sad that what should be a major source of recruits for UT doesn't even carry all of the games.

Nashville has several basketball options instead of UT, but the UT administration should still be promoting UTBB over there. I guess this is the stuff that happens when the Vol Network is being run out of Lexington, KY.

Reactions: 1 person
The stations in the market have to opt to take the game broadcast. It has nothing to do with the UTAD. If said radio station does not want to pay and broadcast the games, UT cannot force them to. And with it being NFL season, in Vandy country, it's not as likely to get early season games broadcast.

Reactions: 6 people
The stations in the market have to opt to take the game broadcast. It has nothing to do with the UTAD. If said radio station does not want to pay and broadcast the games, UT cannot force them to. And with it being NFL season, in Vandy country, it's not as likely to get early season games broadcast.

Folks just looking for anything and everything to bash the UTAD over.

Nothing more to see here, let's all just move along....

Reactions: 5 people
So in the Arkansas game thread it's been posted that TN Basketball has not been on the radio in Nashville for the last few games. The station carrying UTBB (WGFX 104.5) has been pre-empting the Vol Network coverage in favor of the Titan's coach's show. Really sad that what should be a major source of recruits for UT doesn't even carry all of the games.

Nashville has several basketball options instead of UT, but the UT administration should still be promoting UTBB over there. I guess this is the stuff that happens when the Vol Network is being run out of Lexington, KY.

LOL, what recruits are listening to Vol Bball Games on the Radio?

Reactions: 8 people
I agree that UT basketball needs to be on a station somewhere in the Middle Tennessee/Nashville area. An alternate station should be available.

The titans head coach and several players have shows on tues, Wednesday and Thursday nights now. Not much of a chance to get early season games on 104.5.

It's a fail because it's the closest major city to UT. If WGFX opts to carry different programming then there needs to be an alternate for metro Nashville. Barnes gets bashed for not jumping on tables and acting like a fool in the student cafeteria but the UTAD can't get radio coverage in the state Capitol of the state university. Somebody sleeping and it ain't CRB. It's called promoting the product.

Pretty sure it's been this way ever since they've been on 104.5. The Titans take the top priority. Plus I'm not sure what station they could be on. WLAC is Vandy's flagship now, and 102.5 has a terribly weak signal, plus they are the Predators flagship and you'd likely run into the same problem only worse because the hockey season overlaps with basketball. 650 AM has a pretty weak signal as well.

Of all the options, having 104.5 is still by far the best.

I agree that UT basketball needs to be on a station somewhere in the Middle Tennessee/Nashville area. An alternate station should be available.

The titans head coach and several players have shows on tues, Wednesday and Thursday nights now. Not much of a chance to get early season games on 104.5.

Only the Titans' game broadcast and the coach's show will be broadcast instead of the Vols' BB games. The player's shows have to be scheduled around those, which is why they dont' always have a set time.

It's a fail because it's the closest major city to UT. If WGFX opts to carry different programming then there needs to be an alternate for metro Nashville. Barnes gets bashed for not jumping on tables and acting like a fool in the student cafeteria but the UTAD can't get radio coverage in the state Capitol of the state university. Somebody sleeping and it ain't CRB. It's called promoting the product.

Again, which station are you going to get? By default it has to be a sports or talk radio station, and Nashville only has a handful of those and some of those have weak signals.

It's a fail on the part of the RADIO STATIONS! They are privately owned BUSINESSES. They decide what programming they want to carry. It is an expense for them. It is programming they pay for and then have to sell ads to cover. Maybe those stations are not pushing to get ads to cover the expense.
Sure, I would hope they would carry them. I would also hope that UTK pushes to get them to carry the games. I do not doubt that UTK does try to get as many to carry the games as they can. I have a good friend that owns a radio station in East TN. He carries UT football and mens basketball games on his station.
With the net and online radio stations it shouldn't be to hard to find the game live on the net.

I think I speak for all of us middle Tennessee folk in saying UT is our team and we want as much coverage as we can get. I even subscribe to Knox News Sentinal over the DNJ bc it has more UT sports coverage.

So why are you mad they aren't on the radio? Maybe I'm just confused, how do you feel the two relate?

You don't understand that radio broadcasts of the games is a major part of promoting the brand? Nashville is a huge region that already follows UT sports to a significant degree. Not having live broadcasts in that city is a major fail. The UTAD should be promoting the hell out of everything UT in the Nashville area. A significant part of their reason for existence is to promote the brand. They're doing a poor job. Half empty arena too for a game versus a top 10 program (Gonzaga).

Again, which station are you going to get? By default it has to be a sports or talk radio station, and Nashville only has a handful of those and some of those have weak signals.

It does not have to be a talk or sports station. It's on WIVK in Knoxville which is a country station with many CMA awards.

There are almost 50 stations listed as Vol Network basketball affiliates. Major fail by not making sure every game is being broadcast in the heart of Nashville.

It does not have to be a talk or sports station. It's on WIVK in Knoxville which is a country station with many CMA awards.

There are almost 50 stations listed as Vol Network basketball affiliates. Major fail by not making sure every game is being broadcast in the heart of Nashville.

It does in Nashville.

The Titans tried being on 103.3 FM, the second biggest country station in the city and the Predators tried being on 102.9 FM, the biggest rock station in the city, and neither worked out well. Vol Football also used to be on 105.9 and that didn't work out that great.

If all of those didn't work out on non-sports/talk stations, then neither will Vols Basketball.

It does in Nashville.

The Titans tried being on 103.3 FM, the second biggest country station in the city and the Predators tried being on 102.9 FM, the biggest rock station in the city, and neither worked out well. Vol Football also used to be on 105.9 and that didn't work out that great.

If all of those didn't work out on non-sports/talk stations, then neither will Vols Basketball.

Does not require a blow torch 100,000 watt FM. A small AM could reach much of central Nashville and downtown. What's happening on the old WKDA these days?

From a purely branding standpoint it's probably far better to be on a popular FM station that runs ads for and promotes your team but then ends up preempting a few of your games than it would be to be on a tiny station that carries all the games but which nobody ever listens to.

There was a time when I would have agreed how important radio coverage of all the games is, but that time was at least 25 years ago. The only people listening to live sports on the radio now are 50+ year old men for 10 minutes at a stretch in their cars.

well to be honest,there is only one person to point a finger at and it isn't the UTAD

I say it is Freaks damn fault,he has the best online Forum for UT sports

why not buy and own some radio stations in Nashville,Memphis and Thorn Hill Tn ?

he is a slacker and it is all his fault :)

I will be glad when the Titans pack up and leave town. If they are talking about the Titans on the radio, I change channels.

The biggest fail by the UTAD is their complete lack of understanding the flow and circumstances of a game in that arena. 4:02 left in the game, Vols force Arkansas to take a timeout to stop a run, the arena is rocking, and you don't hear Rocky Top because the marketing/advertising people have to show the stupid selfies that a whopping 6 people took. It's horrible how big moments/environments get ruined because of the crap. They need to get their heads out of their asses and realize this is a basketball game, not an infomercial.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back