The "Rick Barnes Owns College Station" Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. One of the best Tennessee defensive performances I've seen in a long, long time. Tennessee's team speed and active hands forced Texas A&M into a lot of turnovers and Tennessee dominated the second half of the game with fantastic defense.

2. Also, if you shoot 39% and win an SEC road game by ten, you deserve two wins for that. Tennessee struggled to get shots all night was able to get some points off turnovers and create distance to put the game.

3. This team is different when Shembari Phillips is assertive and aggressive on offense. When he attacks and looks for his shot, Tennessee becomes a different team. He needs to continue to do that.

4. I loved that Tennessee threw some different looks at Tyler Davis. He is uber talented but there's always been questions about his mental game and Tennessee was aggressive in attacking him and making him a complete non factor. Kudos to the staff.

5. Robert Hubbs has to be more of a factor in games like this. Fortunately Tennessee took care of business, but we need more than six points and three rebounds in an SEC road game.

6. I liked the balance shot selection tonight. Tennessee took 26 three's, which is a good number (despite a few of those being desperate end of shot clock variety) but I thought the Volunteers had a nice shot distribution chart for this game.

7. The Bernard King Player of the Game: Grant Williams. Williams is the best Tennessee rim protector since............I don't even remember. Six blocks against a good team like Texas A&M is impressive. Not only that, he had some timely buckets and has improved his pick and roll defense since the beginning of the year. You can see why the staff was so high on him. If he was 6'10, he'd be an NBA first round pick. He just an excellent game.

8. Jordan Bone struggled, which wasn't a surprise. It will take him a few games. Lamonte Turner and Kwe Parker have been playing well so Bone isn't paramount to winning right now but Tennessee will need him.

9. Nice job by Lamonte Turner at the free throw line. He finished the game off and that is a nice confidence builder for future games. Always important to have a guy you can go to late to ice the game.

10. Texas A&M is probably an NCAA tournament team and Tennessee handled them. What a hell of a performance by the Volunteers. They did everything they needed to do for a win. They played great perimeter defense, forced turnovers, hit free throws, and protected the basketball. The second biggest win of the Rick Barnes era so far and it says a lot that Tennessee had a 20 point lead with four minutes to go and only shot 40% from the field. Texas A&M is lucky Tennessee missed a couple three's they normally hit. Rick Barnes had a great defensive game plan and a great mentality by these young Volunteers to get a road SEC win like this. They looked like a top five SEC team tonight.

Reactions: 40 people
It's hard not to really like this team and our coach. What we saw tonight didn't happen by accident. Coach knows what/who he needs to win and he teaches them to play as a team. I couldn't be happier!

Reactions: 7 people
This is a well coached team and no one can deny that. Also anyone who questions Barnes' recruiting/evaluating is an idiot. So many people questioned him signing Grant Williams. This kid is a stud who looks like an upperclassman.

Reactions: 20 people
This is a well coached team and no one can deny that. Also anyone who questions Barnes' recruiting/evaluating is an idiot. So many people questioned him signing Grant Williams. This kid is a stud who looks like an upperclassman.

Correct. Give Barnes a little bit more talented players on his roster, we'll be an NCAA Tournament team in the future.

Reactions: 6 people
This young team is fun to watch. I enjoy watching teams that give 110% effort and this team is relentless the entire game. I am officially on the Rick Barnes bandwagon as he is obviously a great coach. If he can start landing some big time recruits, especially post players, he will do some great things here. It's nice having a team that can actually go on the road in the SEC and not even flinch. They are not intimidated by anybody, which was obvious by the way they played in Chapel Hill. Going to be a fun season.

Reactions: 12 people
Gotta love this team. So much great effort from every player. Way to step up (especially Williams)!

Reactions: 3 people

But... but... we should have hired Will Wade.

Bad couple of days for A&M - lose to Kansas State in bowl game and get manhandled by Barnes' freshmen team at home. Rick Barnes is a great coach and talent evaluator there is no doubt.

Also whoever the new AD is takes over a solid group of coaches from Dave Hart who cleaned up the Hamilton mess.

Reactions: 5 people
Bad couple of days for A&M - lose to Kansas State in bowl game and get manhandled by Barnes' freshmen team at home. Rick Barnes is a great coach and talent evaluator there is no doubt.

Also whoever the new AD is takes over a solid group of coaches from Dave Hart who cleaned up the Hamilton mess.

Blackburn is going to inherit a great BB Coach and will hopefully help CBJ reach his potential as our coach.

Reactions: 4 people
The bad:

Gave up half of a 20 point lead diwn the stretch.

Parker and Bone only had one assist each.

Shooting.

Fouling.

This is a scrappy team and they are getting better each game. Hubbs disappears too much.

11. Can we please put in a press break next practice. That was hard to watch.

Got a little sloppy but played the end of the game with Bone on e bench. Once he gets back to full strength this shouldn't be a problem. Plus, we still won by 10 points on the road against the team that was picked to finish 3rd in the SEC

Kyle Alexander grew up some thus game. I only got a chance to see the second half but I believe he played his best game yet.

Reactions: 3 people
amazing to watch a "one team" heartbeat...the boys don't do to well sometimes in the slowdown game...:)...freaking...fantastic...win...enjoy...and

GO BIG ORANGE!

Got a little sloppy but played the end of the game with Bone on e bench. Once he gets back to full strength this shouldn't be a problem. Plus, we still won by 10 points on the road against the team that was picked to finish 3rd in the SEC

I agree that Bone would be helpful. However, Turner has played a lot of PG in his life. Hubbs is a senior and Shembari is a really smart player. They all should know better than to just sit in a spot and wait for the trap.

Barnes is making a believer out of me. A true big man and a healthy point guard would make this team very dangerous.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back