Ten Thoughts (SEC Season Edition)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Tennessee has outplayed my expectations. I figured a losing OOC schedule for the Vols. Not only did they go 7-5, but they also played four top 25 teams (and three teams that have been ranked in the top ten) and had within single digits late in every game. This team isn't good yet, but they are getting close. They are getting better and every game and other than Kentucky are as battle tested as any team in the SEC going into conference play. kenpom.com has Tennessee 76th in the country and 8th in the conference. That would be a hell of a finish for Rick Barnes.

2. The goal personnel wise is to find a point guard. Three players have given a shot at the position without Jordan Bone and all their moments, but Bone is the most complete player. He won't start at the beginning but I'll be very surprised if he doesn't become the full time point guard. Watch out for Kwe Parker. He has an 8/1 ast-to ratio his last two games and continue to be more confident with his shot.

3. I hope with Jordan Bone's penetration it will open up more space for shooters because Tennessee needs to rely more on the three ball to have a winning conference record. Only 25% of Tennessee's points have come from behind the arc and that is way too low (294th in the country). Part of this is the lack of a true point guard and Bone coming back should help that, but other than Mostella, Tennessee needs to run more sets (baseline screens, elevators sets, dribble handoffs) that will give their offense more of a punch from behind the perimeter.

4. A key for Tennessee this year has been forcing turnovers and that needs to continue in SEC play. Other than Pearl's first three teams, this team plays the passing lanes as aggressively as any Tennessee team I can remember. They are 39th in the country in forcing turnovers and with the lackluster offense Tennessee has that needs to continue to create extra possessions.

5. Something I personally would do is move Shembari Phillips and Lamonte Turner off ball permanently once Bone is 100% recovered and ready to go. The reason? They are Tennessee's two best three point shooters. Phillips is an incredible 11-15 from three point range and Turner has been lighting it up shooting 38%. The awesome part about having these two off ball is they are also former point guards. They have the ability to recognize the defense, drive and kick, and keep ball movement going if they pass up a shot. Turner definitely needs to have more plays run for him off ball.

6. Tennessee would have a very good defense if two things got better. One is rebounding. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening with the lack of size this team possesses and John Fulkerson's absence. However, one thing Tennessee must do is improve is too stop fouling so much. They are putting teams on the line way too much. Part of this is miscommunication it seems like. Part of this is aggressiveness. Tennessee needs to do a better job handling pick and roll ball handlers driving. The big men are coming over and helping too late.

7. Another thing to watch for is who becomes the odd man out. Tennessee has had 11 guys play at least eight games. While Fulkerson was one of those, Jordan Bone was not. He will play every game. Barnes is not going to play 11 guys in conference play consistently. He's going to find a rotation. Hell it might even be nine guys. We should get a sense of what that will look like tonight.

8. My big question is if Kyle Alexander can take the leap. With Fulkerson's injury, he is the Volunteer with the most to gain in SEC play. He's played nineteen minutes per game the last two games and seems to be gaining confidence. If he rebounds, Barnes will keep sending him out there. He needs to use length and quick leaping ability to go after the ball and not wait for it to come to him. He isn't big enough to be lazy. His length can also give Tennessee a spark defensive and give Tennessee another really good rim protector to pair with Grant Williams.

9. The one number Tennessee should get better in is turnover percentage. They turn the ball over 19.7% of the time, which is 211th in the country. With Jordan Bone and with the freshman gaining experience, I think that number improves into the 160's range. I believe Barnes will also scheme better with Bone/Parker to help out at PG.

10. Looking at kenpom.com projections, he has Tennessee going 15-16 and a 8-10 conference record. I think that is possible. I also think 17-14 and a 10-8 conference record is also possible. We know Tennessee can play with anyone in the country. However, they need a big win to get over the hump and get that confidence going. Four of the first six SEC games are away. They need to go 2-4 in that stretch for a chance at a winning season. Personally, I think it's doable. This team has improved each and every week. Barnes seems to be pressing the right buttons. With Tennessee getting their best freshman back in Jordan Bone, it wouldn't shock me if they pulled it off.

Reactions: 8 people
If number 8 comes to fruition and Alexander takes a step forward I could see this squad being an NIT team, which would surpass what I thought before the season began.

Great points. I'd just caution against putting much stock in Bone's comeback this season..a stress fracture in the foot is an iffy proposition.

good post...like what I'm see so far...just very entertaining to watch, but I ain't about to get on any hype train...one game at a time...:)

GO VOLS!

Technically speaking we're 6-5 OOC. Chaminade is still a D2.
The Fulk injury will probably keep the rotation screwed up well into Conference.
Other than that- great stuff as always Z.

Alexander is a huge part of our team's potential.

Any guesses on what the rotation is going to look like go forward?

Alexander is a huge part of our team's potential.

Any guesses on what the rotation is going to look like go forward?

I think that the lineup will be fluid all season. Two injuries to starters have already resulted in lots of combinations. Every non-RS freshman has contributed. I think that all 11/12 players will see significant minutes in at least some games as Barnes adjusts the lineups game-to-game. Schofield is the possible exception to this, but we've already seen several players barely see the court for a few games and then turn it around and become key contributors. Mostella last year looked like he might end up transferring out. This year Parker sat for nearly entire games even with Bone injured but looks to be coming around. Evans will look like a non-factor in a game or two and then play a key role in a well played game. Alexander sits out versus teams with big lineups and starts expanding his minutes played in subsequent games.

With half the team being freshmen, I can see EVERY available player being utilized in any game. Last year Barnes even resorted to a walk-on while looking for productivity. With 6 seniors I don't think a coach could play such a long bench. With 6 freshmen I think that Barnes can get away with playing everybody. IMO a core lineup that's 7 or 8 deep doesn't happen this year.

Last edited:
I think that the lineup will be fluid all season. Two injuries to starters have already resulted in lots of combinations. Every non-RS freshman has contributed. I think that all 11/12 players will see significant minutes in at least some games as Barnes adjusts the lineups game-to-game. Schofield is the possible exception to this, but we've already seen several players barely see the court for a few games and then turn it around and become key contributors. Mostella last year looked like he might end up transferring out. This year Parker sat for nearly entire games even with Bone injured but looks to be coming around. Evans will look like a non-factor in a game or two and then play a key role in a well played game. Alexander sits out versus teams with big lineups and starts expanding his minutes played in dubsequent games.

With half the team being freshmen, I can see EVERY available player be utilized in any game. Last year Barnes even resorted to a walk-on while looking for productivity. With 6 seniors I don't think a coach could play such a long bench. With 6 freshmen I think that Barnes can get away with playing everybody. IMO a core lineup that's 7 or 8 deep doesn't happen this year.

Couldn't have said it better.

VN Store

Back