In Knoxville: Series tied, 3-3

In College Station: A&M leads, 2-1

Neutral Sites: UT leads 1-0

Current Streak: Texas A&M has won four straight

Last Meeting: Texas A&M won, 92-88, in Knoxville, 1/9/16

Barnes vs. Texas A&M: 25-8

Barnes vs. Kennedy: Barnes leads, 2-1

Reactions: 1 person
The Volunteers’ bench is providing an average of 30.8 points per game this season.

SEC Player of the Week Detrick Mostella is averaging 17.7 points and 4.7 rebounds off the bench in UT’s last three games.

Tennessee has not opened SEC play during the month of December since the 1989-90 season.

The Vols rank 61st nationally with 12.75 off. rebounds per game.

Give the Volunteers consecutive true road wins while also giving them a 2-1 record in true road games this season.

Make the Vols 1-0 in SEC play for the third time in the last four years.

Snap Texas A&M’s four-game win streak in this series.

Give Rick Barnes 26 career wins over the Aggies. He’s only beaten Texas Tech (33) and Baylor (30) more times.

Get them dam bigs in foul trouble! As undersized as UT is they've managed to get teams in foul trouble in games. That's one of things that gives me the most optimism about this team. They are smart to be so young. They don't usually make silly fouls and they know where to be.

And i guess mking a good % of 3s would help.

Get them dam bigs in foul trouble! As undersized as UT is they've managed to get teams in foul trouble in games. That's one of things that gives me the most optimism about this team. They are smart to be so young. They don't usually make silly fouls and they know where to be.

And i guess mking a good % of 3s would help.

TN has adapted pretty well to the rule changes/points of emphasis this year. Gonzaga did not.

House money for the Vols, nobody expects a W, go out and play loose and see if you can steal one. Gonna be the same theme for the next couple weeks.

Not to be argumentative, but I'm in the group that thinks refs are ruining the game. Zags had a lot of "touch"/bush league fouls in that game. Imo

It's not an initiative by the refs. They're doing what they've been told to do by the governing body. Players and coaches need to adapt.

It's bad now, but if the players adjust it will be better in the long run. Basketball was getting tired when the good teams were being built around 7', 275 pound freaks of nature. That's been resolved for the most part. Now the rules are being changed to reduce the excessive banging in the paint... can't put two hands on the player being guarded, can't arm bar. To counter, defenders can be in the semi-circle under basket circle as long as they go straight up. They also cracked down on palming the basketball while dribbling.

TN has benefited by having sound free throw shooters. Seems like some of Pearl's TN teams were awful at the stripe.

I like basketball best when the players are fundamentally sound. It's frustrating to watch when they aren't.

I'm interested to see how Bone meshes. I want him to be able to create for others, to go with that get to the bucket speed.

Reactions: 2 people
It's not an initiative by the refs. They're doing what they've been told to do by the governing body. Players and coaches need to adapt.

It's bad now, but if the players adjust it will be better in the long run. Basketball was getting tired when the good teams were being built around 7', 275 pound freaks of nature. That's been resolved for the most part. Now the rules are being changed to reduce the excessive banging in the paint... can't put two hands on the player being guarded, can't arm bar. To counter, defenders can be in the semi-circle under basket circle as long as they go straight up. They also cracked down on palming the basketball while dribbling.

TN has benefited by having sound free throw shooters. Seems like some of Pearl's TN teams were awful at the stripe.

I like basketball best when the players are fundamentally sound. It's frustrating to watch when they aren't.

Agree 100% on the last 2. That first part I could go on for a minute. And I gotta be up in a few hours. lol

Agree 100% on the last 2. That first part I could go on for a minute. And I gotta be up in a few hours. lol

Yea, some can't get the players to behave as the rule changes are promoting and some refs only option is to use their whistles. They need to be vocal, give warnings, etc. but when the players keep going the whistle is all they know. Coaches are to blame as well. TN has adapted pretty well.

Shembari Phillips needs to be more assertive. When he has room for a 3 he should take it, because he can make it from there at a very good clip.

Shembari Phillips needs to be more assertive. When he has room for a 3 he should take it, because he can make it from there at a very good clip.

Agree. He's only averaging about 5 fg attempts per game.(if my math is right) He should be averaging 12-15.

He has the most pure shot I've seen at Tennessee in a while. A very James Hardenesque shot.
Agreed. It almost seems effortless. His shot selection might be the best we've had around in a long while. He simply doesn't take or force bad shots.

VN Store

Back