SEC Outlook

bleedingTNorange

Figured I'd take a look at each of the SEC teams as the Vols get set to enter conference play tomorrow night at Texas A&M and give a little summary. As a refresher here were the preseason predictions...

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Texas A&M
4. Georgia
5. Arkansas
6. Vanderbilt
7. Alabama
8. South Carolina
9. Ole Miss
10. Mississippi State
11. Auburn
12. LSU
13. Tennessee
14. Missouri

With OOC play completed except for some teams with a Big 12/SEC game mixed in to SEC play, these are the KenPom rankings for all SEC teams...

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. South Carolina +5
4. Texas A&M -1
5. Arkansas
6. Georgia -2
7. Tennessee +6
8. Vanderbilt -2
9. Alabama -2
10. Ole Miss -1
11. Auburn
12. LSU
13. Mississippi State -3
14. Missouri

If Sindarius Thornwell does not return for South Carolina I would imagine they fall closer to that #8 ranking than current #3.

So Vols SEC schedule includes (KenPom rankings)...

2 games against #1 Kentucky, 2 games against #3 South Carolin, 2 games against #8 Vanderbilt, 2 games against #10 Ole Miss and 2 games against #13 Mississippi State...that leaves 1 game each against #2,4,5,6,9,11,12 and 14. All the teams we play twice are H/H splits leaving: #2 Florida away, #4 Texas A&M away, #5 Arkansas home, #6 Georgia home, #9 Alabama home, #11 Auburn away, #12 LSU away and #14 Missouri home.

The schedule doesn't look as daunting as it did to begin the season, the front end is much tougher, but I definitely think the Vols can exceed preseason expectations. I think 9-9 conference record is very possible, coupled with the 7-5 OOC would leave this team at 16-14 with the Big 12 game against Kansas State in Knoxville still to be played. Vols first 4 league games are against 4 of the top 5 KenPom ranked SEC teams, if we could steal 1 or 2 that would be awesome.

Reactions: 3 people
KenPom/Sagarin's Rankings:

1. Kentucky/ Kentucky
2. Florida/ Florida
3. South Carolina/ South Carolina
4. Texas A&M/ Arkansas
5. Arkansas/ Texas A&M
6. Georgia/ Georgia
7. Tennessee/ Auburn
8. Vanderbilt/ Tennessee
9. Alabama/ Vanderbilt
10. Ole Miss/ Ole Miss
11. Auburn/ Alabama
12. LSU/ LSU
13. Mississippi State/ Missouri

Reactions: 1 person
If bone comes back and plays like he did before, I figure we finish about 4th or 5th in the sec.

Reactions: 2 people
I haven't seen anything from FL yet to make it look like they deserve such a lofty place in the standings.
A determined team of Volunteers should be able to knock them off.

Last edited:
It kind of pains me to say it but Auburn might finish in the top 5. They look solid lately and I doubt Bruce forgot how to coach.

And now we know Forbes didn't contribute much from that staff. Hehe

It kind of pains me to say it but Auburn might finish in the top 5. They look solid lately and I doubt Bruce forgot how to coach.

IMO Bruce will have at least one playa suspended by year end.

If bone comes back and plays like he did before, I figure we finish about 4th or 5th in the sec.

With Fulkerson playing the whole time, I would agree. Without him, I think it would be good if just go middle of the pack. Anything else, while possible, would be a bit of a surprise to me.

Not sure why you think that, other than I guess they are winning.

They should have lost at home to Mercer, they did win at OU and at UConn, but neither of those teams are very good. OU is 6-5 and UConn is now 5-7, their worst start in 45 years. Auburn also lost to a bad Boston College team. They've benefitted from a very weak schedule and have been VERY lucky.

No way they'd be 10-2 with our schedule.

Last edited:
Not sure why you think that, other than I guess they are winning.

They should have lost at home to Mercer, they did win at OU and at UConn, but neither of those teams are very good. OU is 6-5 and UConn is now 5-7, their worst start in 45 years. Auburn also lost to a bad Boston College team. They've benefitted from a very weak schedule and have been VERY lucky.

No way they'd be 10-2 with our schedule.

I said it cause I like their roster.(believe it or not they've been on TV a few times and I've watched) Agree to disagree?

I said it cause I like their roster.(believe it or not they've been on TV a few times and I've watched) Agree to disagree?

Yeah I've watched too; like when they needed a small miracle to beat Mercer at home.

I'm not saying they might not end up 5th; I just don't agree they've looked that solid because they've had some lucky, close wins over pretty weak competition.

Yeah I've watched too; like when they needed a small miracle to beat Mercer at home.

I'm not saying they might not end up 5th; I just don't agree they've looked that solid because they've had some lucky, close wins over pretty weak competition.

I hear ya. A wins a win tho now days. Imo and with the addition of Wiley I just think they'll end up toward the top of this raggetty conf.

I would be happy if someone other than Kentucky wins the dang conference. Their worse than Alabama in football.

Figured I'd take a look at each of the SEC teams as the Vols get set to enter conference play tomorrow night at Texas A&M and give a little summary. As a refresher here were the preseason predictions...

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Texas A&M
4. Georgia
5. Arkansas
6. Vanderbilt
7. Alabama
8. South Carolina
9. Ole Miss
10. Mississippi State
11. Auburn
12. LSU
13. Tennessee
14. Missouri

With OOC play completed except for some teams with a Big 12/SEC game mixed in to SEC play, these are the KenPom rankings for all SEC teams...

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. South Carolina +5
4. Texas A&M -1
5. Arkansas
6. Georgia -2
7. Tennessee +6
8. Vanderbilt -2
9. Alabama -2
10. Ole Miss -1
11. Auburn
12. LSU
13. Mississippi State -3
14. Missouri

If Sindarius Thornwell does not return for South Carolina I would imagine they fall closer to that #8 ranking than current #3.

So Vols SEC schedule includes (KenPom rankings)...

2 games against #1 Kentucky, 2 games against #3 South Carolin, 2 games against #8 Vanderbilt, 2 games against #10 Ole Miss and 2 games against #13 Mississippi State...that leaves 1 game each against #2,4,5,6,9,11,12 and 14. All the teams we play twice are H/H splits leaving: #2 Florida away, #4 Texas A&M away, #5 Arkansas home, #6 Georgia home, #9 Alabama home, #11 Auburn away, #12 LSU away and #14 Missouri home.

The schedule doesn't look as daunting as it did to begin the season, the front end is much tougher, but I definitely think the Vols can exceed preseason expectations. I think 9-9 conference record is very possible, coupled with the 7-5 OOC would leave this team at 16-14 with the Big 12 game against Kansas State in Knoxville still to be played. Vols first 4 league games are against 4 of the top 5 KenPom ranked SEC teams, if we could steal 1 or 2 that would be awesome.

9 wins SEC would probably be enough to get an NIT invite. that would be major for this young roster.

I would be happy if someone other than Kentucky wins the dang conference. Their worse than Alabama in football.

I hate UK more than most but I don't think so. Alabama dominates every team, every year. UK honestly isn't the most dominate team in college basketball. They get all that talent and coach Cal only has one championship to show for it. Cal loses significant games more times than not, and gets outcoached in the tourney by better coaches and experienced teams.

Coach Saban gets the best players and wins championships.

I hate UK more than most but I don't think so. Alabama dominates every team, every year. UK honestly isn't the most dominate team in college basketball. They get all that talent and coach Cal only has one championship to show for it. Cal loses significant games more times than not, and gets outcoached in the tourney by better coaches and experienced teams.

Coach Saban gets the best players and wins championships.

This conversation is about the SEC. Not non conference games. Kentucky dominates the SEC.

Auburn down 10 at home to Georgia with 2 minutes left

Can we please win 11 conference games. I see it as possible. That would put us in IMO.

VN Store

Back