Detrick has come full circle!

SeniorDrill

Detrick Mostella has now become the complete player everyone wanted In addition to his 25 points, he held ETSU's leading scorer to 14 points, 3 and 1/2 below his average, on 3 of 14 shooting. T.J. Cromer also committed 3 turnovers. You might say Detrick is the Vols' shutdown defender in the back court and that will really be needed in SEC play.
He deserves nothing but accolades for his play in this game. Congrats to him! :clapping:

Reactions: 7 people
Detrick Mostella has now become the complete player everyone wanted In addition to his 25 points, he held ETSU's leading scorer to 14 points, 3 and 1/2 below his average, on 3 of 14 shooting. T.J. Cromer also committed 3 turnovers. You might say Detrick is the Vols' shutdown defender in the back court and that will really be needed in SEC play.
He deserves nothing but accolades for his play in this game. Congrats to him! :clapping:

......and he's just a junior!

His defensive play all year has been suspect. To say he is a lock down defender after one game is dumb. If he does it in conference play on a consistent basis then maybe just maybe your post has merit. But shutting down one player in our e game doesn't make you a lock down guy.

Reactions: 3 people
Stella's defense is good enough to keep him on the floor because he is second in rebounding the ball.
He still struggles to stay in front of his man, but we've had worse defenders.

Reactions: 1 person
Detrick has played good, but I won't call it a successful season until he puts bam from uk on a poster.

Last edited:
Yep. He's making it worse by acting like a UT fan. Stick to your guns, SD

The only reason Mostella is not the leading scorer on the team is because he is playing 10 minutes a game less than Hubbs. There's only 5.5 points difference in their average. He should be getting 30 minutes a game just like Hubbs. This one fact has probably cost them some games. Going back to the point I made early on, Detrick averaged 50.7 in the RTL while Hubbs averaged 27.6. That fact was poopooed by many of you but Mostella is a better shooter than Hubbs. Most of Hubbs scoring is inside. Why you would not have your two best inside and outside scorers playing most of the game, I don't know. You don't yank a guy who can score when he misses a couple. That's my opinion. Mostella showed what he can do. Hopefully, he gets to prove it more. He played 32 minutes against ETSU, 12 above his average. This is hopefully a lesson learned.

The only reason Mostella is not the leading scorer on the team is because he is playing 10 minutes a game less than Hubbs. There's only 5.5 points difference in their average. He should be getting 30 minutes a game just like Hubbs. This one fact has probably cost them some games. Going back to the point I made early on, Detrick averaged 50.7 in the RTL while Hubbs averaged 27.6. That fact was poopooed by many of you but Mostella is a better shooter than Hubbs. Most of Hubbs scoring is inside. Why you would not have your two best inside and outside scorers playing most of the game, I don't know. You don't yank a guy who can score when he misses a couple. That's my opinion. Mostella showed what he can do. Hopefully, he gets to prove it more. He played 32 minutes against ETSU, 12 above his average. This is hopefully a lesson learned.

Mostella never gets yanked after missing a couple. Bad shot selection or poor defense... yes, but never for missing shots.

Reactions: 1 person
Mostella wanted to play the last 5 minutes of the second half against ETSU. Barnes' told him to man up and learn to play with cramps. He also doesn't want to start.
You would force him to play more minutes than he requests?

Lol, he had a great game. He is very inconsistent. Next game he could be a non-factor.

Mostella never gets yanked after missing a couple. Bad shot selection or poor defense... yes, but never for missing shots.

Doesn't matter why he's yanked, he should be playing 30 minutes plus. Look for some more losses if he doesn't. 25 points will offset a bad shot and a slip up guard assignment. This yanking guys immediately destroys team rhythm in addition to stopping a kid's momentum.

7 minutes against North Carolina in a game they lost by 2. Someone explain that one to me.

Doesn't matter why he's yanked, he should be playing 30 minutes plus. Look for some more losses if he doesn't. 25 points will offset a bad shot and a slip up guard assignment. This yanking guys immediately destroys team rhythm in addition to stopping a kid's momentum.

7 minutes against North Carolina in a game they lost by 2. Someone explain that one to me.

You don't play a guy who doesn't do what the coach wants. End of story. If the guy takes stupid shots, you absolutely yank him. Barnes is building a culture that the players are to do what he wants and fulfill the roles he needs, not what the players need. And it's working for the most part. I'm sorry that he doesn't give in like your boy did, but that's just the way it is.

TN keeps the UNC game to within 2 points and you're questioning the coaching decisions?

Remember when Barnes was sitting Mostella on the bench and calling him out on the radio? Mostella has stepped up his game since then. Mostella didn't step it up when Donnie Tyndall was his coach.

Reactions: 5 people
I have a tendency to blow off the handle in the moment, but what Rick is doing is building a stable, respected program, so that the Nextel coach that comes in has something to build off of, and doesn't have to deal with bad news from media.

Maybe it is time for people to acknowledge that CRB knows what he is doing. We are fortunate to have him.

I have a tendency to blow off the handle in the moment, but what Rick is doing is building a stable, respected program, so that the Nextel coach that comes in has something to build off of, and doesn't have to deal with bad news from media.

But what if we get a Verizon or AT and T coach? NYUK

You're questioning the coach who just beat your sure thing. Figures.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm questioning the coach that played Detrick Mostella 7 minutes against North Carolina.

Mostella probably plays more minutes than he wants. How do you question playing UNC to the wire with a freshman team?
You couldn't even motivate your own team to a win over us.
And this coming from the guy that thought Brando Lopez could lead us to an NC.
Stick with the sport you know. TROLLING. OH yeah. that's what you're doing?

VN Store

Back