The "State Capital" Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Tennessee played hard, but a lot of inconsistent defensive play and poor shot selection in the first half killed the chance for Tennessee to win despite the help they received from the officials today. I liked the effort in the second half but a better first ten minutes (just like Oregon and Wisconsin) and UT probably wins. Barnes needs to figure out a formula to get these going to start the game.

2. How to fix that? Change at the point guard position. I really like Shembari Phillips and what he did in Maui but he is not getting the job done offensively right now. Kwe Parker gave some good energy and while Lamonte is inefficient shooting right he is attacking the paint and playing tough defense.

3. Speaking of Lamonte Turner...I love this his game and his confidence. I think he has a bright future at Tennessee. I know why he is playing the point guard position with Jordan Bone and agree with Barnes to give him time there but once Bone gets back I think Turner would be better used strictly as a 2 guard. I think he looks better off ball. He still has a ton of talent but I think the future of the point guard position lies with Jordan Bone and Kwe Parker. Maybe giving Turner five minutes a game there would be fine but his career is at the 2 IMO.

4. I should change this to the "Point Guard" postgame report but a great job by Kwe Parker today. Excellent defensive intensity and I absolutely love his drive and dish game with four assists today. He's earning regular playing time even with Jordan Bone coming back.

5. Rick Barnes says Kyle Alexander doesn't play because he doesn't rebound. He grabs six rebounds in less than ten minutes of basketball. He doesn't play the second half. I don't get it. I don't mind Lew Evans getting minutes, but there is no way in hell Evans should be getting more playing time than Kyle Alexander at this point.

6. Great job by the coaching staff to let the three's fly against Gonzaga. Other than free throws and better defense, the only thing that kept this game close was the three point shot. 10-29 for 34.5% is right around where this team needs to be. I liked some of the off ball action to get more open three balls too. A little bit more dribble handoffs into screens helped.

7. The Bernard King Player of the Game: Detrick Mostella. Not sure exactly anybody truly deserved but Mostella hit some timely shots to keep this game close. He plays hard defensively (despite committing some silly fouls sometimes) and he can really create late in the shot clock. He hit some tough shots tonight.

8. College basketball officiating is a joke and what truly kills the game and having people like Ken Hess continue to be an official when he absolutely sucks and baits coaches is why the NCAA basketball continues to not be taken seriously. Mark Few is about as calm and logical as it gets on the sidelines and that technical was a joke. The officials sucked the life out of this game.

9. The guards of Gonzaga were just too experienced for UT's young team. Eventually UT will have that advantage in a couple years but Gonzaga's back court and their ability to know how to run the offense and make key plays defensively showed. I was really impressed by Williams-Goss and Perkins and I think UT will have that kind of ability soon.

10. It really sucks how well Tennessee has played against their four big out of conference games and nothing to show for it. Just one of those victories would have given them a key win to help bolster their resume. What kills Tennessee is the lack of a true center and an experienced back court. They hustle and grind and fight and can hit some big shots but Tennessee just doesn't have the talent/experience combination you need to win big games at this point. They didn't play well and still had it within five after the final TV timeout. Tough game Thursday night against a solid ETSU team. Tennessee needs to win that game and get momentum going into SEC play.

Reactions: 5 people
Turner has a bright future at the 2. The team needs Bone badly. We should see minutes to Evans wane as the season moves on. The Zags are on a different level.

Gonzaga got some huge guys in there, but I'm proud of Tennessee for continuing to show fight. I hope they take that into SEC play

Reactions: 2 people
Good points but it was Karl Hess. He and Jamie Luckie. They both suck and call more off the ball fouls than anyone. It was atrocious officiating both ways.

I'd go small and play an extra guard before I'd play Evans. He'd be lucky to get 5-7 minutes if Fulkerson was healthy if it were me. Unfortunately, he's not. Alexander doesn't have fire. You see glimpses but he's either thinking too much or just can't stay consistent. He's better than last year though but we need more out of him. We're going to lose some games because of Fulkerson's absence.

Reactions: 1 person
Casual observation here. Tennessee's problem rebounding is less about size and more about players becoming observers when the ball goes up. They got out positioned all game long today. Bowden really stood out in this regard.

I listened a little to he presser and CRB addressed Kyles situation. Said Kyle gets lost on offense and needs to bring energy like Fulk. Said something to the effect of him overthinking and being slow to screen as reasons why he has a lack of minutes.

Casual observation here. Tennessee's problem rebounding is less about size and more about players becoming observers when the ball goes up. They got out positioned all game long today. Bowden really stood out in this regard.

Your right there were a couple of plays were a Tennessee player could have dove for the ball, but they just stood there and watched.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought that Bowden was standing around on offense too much. I'd like to see him demand the ball and attack the basket. When I noticed, I think that Turner was the point guard and wasn't getting others involved. We need Bone to return and have Turner off the ball.

Seems like Phillips disappeared on offense as did Hubbs. Maybe after reading the stats I'll have a different opinion.

Tennessee played well against Gonzaga and their NBA size today. I thought Alexander did well in rebounding and blocking a couple of shots.

I would start Mostella at the sf position and move Hubbs to sg.

Kwe Parker needs to be the starting point guard and Turner and Phillips can come in off the bench to spell him when he needs a break.

UT will have a very tough match up in Johnson City on Thursday night.

...and I present the elephant...big men down low...love to watch this team and actually believe they'll upset some down the road...and, as always...

GO VOLS!

Tennessee played well against Gonzaga and their NBA size today. I thought Alexander did well in rebounding and blocking a couple of shots.

I would start Mostella at the sf position and move Hubbs to sg.

Kwe Parker needs to be the starting point guard and Turner and Phillips can come in off the bench to spell him when he needs a break.

UT will have a very tough match up in Johnson City on Thursday night.

Mostella told Barnes that he prefers to come off of the bench rather than start.

If anyone comes on this site and says Rick Barnes is NOT a great coach should be banished from this site FOREVER!!! I was among the folks that always thought from a distance that he wasn't a great coach at Texas but man was I wrong....REALLY IMPRESSED WITH WHAT HE'S DOING WITH THE YOUNG GROUP OF ATHLETES. Not a great recruiter some say? Lets stay tuned and see how that turns out....I love the way he stays after his players and never lets them relax....Most of them play hard most of the time and look no further than Mostella as and example of "buying in" and see how he lit it up but played really hard on the defensive end as well....Gonzaga is a GREAT team and we showed up to play in the second half....

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back