The Official Tennessee vs. #8 Gonzaga Game Thread, 4:00 pm ET, ESPN2

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Tennessee Volunteers: 6-4 (0-0 SEC)

vols.jpg

vs.

Gonzaga Bulldogs : 10-0 (0-0 WCC)

SRX_GU_VS_AKRON_20.JPG.jpg

DEC. 18 » BRIDGESTONE ARENA » NASHVILLE, TENN. » 4:01 P.M. ET

Line: UT +10
O/U: 146

TV: ESPN2
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: 84, XM: 84
Online: WatchESPN

12320154.jpeg

Overall: GU leads, 3-1

In Knoxville: GU leads, 1-0

In Spokane: No meetings

Neutral Sites: GU leads, 2-1

Current Streak: GU has won three straight

Last Meeting: GU won, 86-79, in Seattle, 12/19/15

Barnes vs. Gonzaga: 0-4

Barnes vs. Few: 0-3

Tennessee freshman Grant Williams scored 30 points vs. Lipscomb Thursday—the first 30-point outing by a UT freshman since 2005.

This is Tennessee’s fourth game in eight days, including two games against AP top-10 teams away from Knoxville.

The Vols and Gonzaga met in a neutral-site clash in Seattle last season. The Zags prevailed, 86-79.

Stand as Tennessee’s first win over an AP top-10 opponent since Feb. 26, 2013, when the Vols won at No. 8 Florida, 75-70.

Give Rick Barnes 36 career head coaching wins against AP top-10 opponents.

Make the Vols 3-1 in their last four games at Bridgestone Arena. Tennessee went 2-1 on Broadway in last season’s SEC Tournament.

I havent followed Gonzaga but they have three 7 footers and 6'11 and 6'10 on the roster -

I havent followed Gonzaga but they have three 7 footers and 6'11 and 6'10 on the roster -

Their 1st 8 are 6'9", 6'10", 7'0", and 7'1". I think the other 7 footer is taking a redshirt.

I'd like to hear how good their guards might be. We need to run to neutralize their size advantage.

This was a game last year that concerned me due to the height difference, and it does this year as well. We were able to stay with them last season, but that advantage down low helped them run away in spurts and we could never take a lead. We are a lot younger too, losing Richardson, Punter, and Moore.

However, we were blown out in the first half and outscored them in the second. So hopefully Barnes and Co will have a game plan in place that will allow us to compete the entire 40 minutes and hopefully come out with a win. Although we are a lot younger, I really like how this team is battling and growing up before our eyes. It would be nice to see them finally get that signature win after being close so many times this season.

Their 1st 8 are 6'9", 6'10", 7'0", and 7'1". I think the other 7 footer is taking a redshirt.

I'd like to hear how good their guards might be. We need to run to neutralize their size advantage.

They beat UF by 5 and the Gators were 2-19 on 3 pointers --- we might have a decent chance to win if the 3s fall

It'll be interesting to see what Barnes does to neutralize Hodor and the other giants.

The line had Gonzaga -12.5 yesterday and is now at -10.5.

Yeah run run run and drive at their bigs. Get into their body in the air. The shot Turner took at end of the game against North Carolina and Ramar Smith took against Ohio St and Greg Oden. That's not the best way to attack the big guys. Drive towards them but pull away to shoot. Go towards their chest and put the fouls in play. The pull back makes it easy for big guys to get blocks.

I hope Mostella goes off today. He needs a 20 point game. And Bowden needs to go for 15. Of course Hubbs needs 20 but I don't see it against their front line. Phillips needs 15. And Williams, Evans and Alexander need to battle for rebounds. This team has talent. But they need to compete like they did against Carolina. If the 3 is falling we have a good chance. And control the turnovers. Can't have 15 or more today.

In a lot of games the opposing team has said after the game that we were extremely athletic at all positions. Yes, most teams against us have and will have a size advantage, but in most games we will indeed have the athleticism advantage. In this game I say run, run, and run some more. See if those big post players can keep up with our team. You look in the NBA at the Warriors. Yes they are the best 3 point shooting team ever arguably, but they almost always have a size disadvantage. They dominate though because they can shoot, and they can outrun and outlast the opposing team. That's what we do today we outrun and outlast gonzaga and their post players. If we utilize our athleticism then I believe we can not only hang with them, but we can beat them. We have proven we are good enough to beat some of the best teams in the country, so today is the day we go out there and JUST FREAKING DO IT!!!

GBO BEAT GONZAGA!!!!

My wife is a die hard GU fan, so I've been "following" them for the past 16 years. They are a legit final four team. They go ten 9-10 deep with no drop in production. Mark Few is arguably the most underrated coach in the game. They have a transfer, Williams-Goss, from UW who seems to be taking the role of go to guy. And they have another transfer from Mizzou i believe, that brings some athleticism to the post. I'm hoping for a good game. GBO

RUUUUUUUN, hit 40%+ from 3 as a team, 80%+FT as a team and under 12 turnovers and we've got a chance. We are smaller, play slow and their size advantage is glaring, push the ball consistently. Really wish we had Bone and Fulk.

And yet again, another crappy turnout for fans.. We can't pack them in Knoxville or in Nashville. Maybe we need to have the team play at the mall or something. Ridiculous.

By the way, for all that say I am not a VOL fan because of my "A" in my profile team, that is for the Atlanta Braves baseball, not Alabama football.. I am sure most people know that but there have been some posts that I am a bama fan. I hate bama and florida more than most. :rock:

I am also a Orlando Magic fan. :good!: Not that it means anything.

Last edited:
And yet again, another crappy turnout for fans.. We can't pack them in Knoxville or in Nashville. Maybe we need to have the team play at the mall or something. Ridiculous.

By the way, for all that say I am not a VOL fan because of my "A" in my profile team, that is for the Atlanta Braves baseball, not Alabama football.. I am sure most people know that but there have been some posts that I am a bama fan. I hate bama and florida more than most. :rock:

I am also a Orlando Magic fan. :good!: Not that it means anything.

That picture is 30 minutes before tip

VN Store

Back