How Barnes "woke up Robert Hubbs" fantastic story

Barnes is a great coach. He will definitely leave the program better than the way he found it. The only draw back, at Texas he was getting the 5 star, one and done guys.

Reactions: 2 people
Hopefully someone will wake Barnes up to recruit top 100 players.

You can't seriously think he doesn't try to get the best players he can. I hate to break it to you, but our basketball program isn't exactly in a good place. We're getting there, but why the hell would you expect a top 100 player to come here until we start winning?

Reactions: 11 people
Barnes is a great coach. He will definitely leave the program better than the way he found it. The only draw back, at Texas he was getting the 5 star, one and done guys.

That's was my only issue too. He is a good game coach, but I thought his recruiting had dropped since he came to Knoxville. But, his 3 star recruits are playing better than their rating, so I'm not going to question his method in the recruiting game anymore

Hopefully someone will wake Barnes up to recruit top 100 players.

Ok. So you're a top 100 H.S. player and you have offers from Kentucky, Villanova, Kansas, Louisville, Notre Dame, Baylor, Purdue, North Carolina, Tennessee, and 20 other Universities. Where would you go? Obviously Tennessee because they only have 4-5 star players, are on national TV every week, are a perennial powerhouse who have consistently made NCAA tournament appearances over say the last 20 years, and it's a nationally known University who prides itself on the success of their basketball team.

Reactions: 5 people
Barnes got a lot of offers out to highly rated 2018 & 2019 players right after he came to Tennessee. He just didn't want to waste time on the 16s and 17s for the reasons mentioned above. Imo

Waste of time was probably poor wording. He thought his time would be better spent recruiting more obtainable guys, that also had high ceilings and played hard.

That's was my only issue too. He is a good game coach, but I thought his recruiting had dropped since he came to Knoxville. But, his 3 star recruits are playing better than their rating, so I'm not going to question his method in the recruiting game anymore

You do realize we're not going to be able to recruit the likes of Duke, UK, NC, UCLA, and all those rich tradition powerhouse basketball schools right?

You do realize we're not going to be able to recruit the likes of Duke, UK, NC, UCLA, and all those rich tradition powerhouse basketball schools right?

I know that, but previous coaches were able to get 4 stars and an occasional 5 star. I'm giving RB credit for seeing underrated talent

He does recruit them. Signing the right ones that fit in with his vision is something else.

Totally agree. Look at Mississippi State under Howland...he's recruited all kinds of talent to Starkville but they are not producing. Could be attitude or coaching but it's clear something isn't working. I'd take hard working, coachable kids over primadona stars all day.

Reactions: 1 person
I know that, but previous coaches were able to get 4 stars and an occasional 5 star. I'm giving RB credit for seeing underrated talent

Five star players that didn't really live up to the ranking. Besides Harris, Hopson was a disappointment and up until now Hubbs has been as well. I can't remember if J.P Prince and Tyler Smith were five stars or not but the originally did not sign with Tennessee either. Prince went to Arizona and Smith Iowa. The problem is we are not a powerhouse in basketball we are a football school and we always will be. Duke, NC,Kansas, UK,and Villanova are basketball schools. I think we could get there, we have the facilities, Knoxville is a great place to live. The university offers a solid education and campus is nice. Plus get into the head of a 18 year old, pretty girls, we are a Nike school and have a good coach. I think Barnes gets us back into the national picture and if we hire the right coach after him because he is getting up there in age we should be ok for awhile.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back