Tennessee Big Man Thread

longrobe

I started the Fulkerson or Williams post after the Maui Invitational thinking that only one of the Freshman would be starting. Yet, now that they have started together for Chaminade, Presby, UNC and Tennessee Tech, I'd say outside of injury or mass improvements from Schofield, Alexander or Evans, those two will be starting for the foreseeable future (until Christmas) together.

One thing I have noticed from the two is that they rebound well. Though in the UNC game, Fulkerson had four rebounds in the first 6 minutes or so and finished with four for the game.

Another thing I have noticed though is that Barnes has the bigs doing a great job boxing out their men, so they (Fulky and Williams) don't always get the rebounds. They move the bigs out of the way so the guards can get the ball. Some could count that as a rebound.

Things that have bothered me:

1) While we don't have the biggest big men, we do NOT look in the post at all. I'm not saying Fulky and Grant have to try and finish all the time, but we need to keep the defense honest.

2) Love Fulkerson, but we need to give Grant Williams some love too. He was 3-3 and had 3 blocks yesterday. He did have 3 TO's but there is a lot of Fulky talk with as well as Williams is playing.

3) We saw Fulkerson make some tough moves against UNC, including a fadeaway to start the game and a spin move started at the three point line with 40 seconds left against UNC. Yet, last night HE DIDN'T EVEN ATTEMPT A FIELD GOAL in 16 minutes. He receives the ball at the three point line about 15 times a game and doesn't even look at the hoop. Last night, the Tennessee Tech big men sat below the free throw line. He will need to do something from there or they will just clog the lane every game.

Words from Barnes on Fulkerson last night:

"There are times you have to score. He doesn't look to score. He showed that at NC that he has the ability to score, but he doesn't work hard enough to get the ball or want the ball. Tonight, he's getting the ball in the post and he likes space, as most posts do. They're packing back down in there and they're wanting us to shoot threes, and he has to play quicker. He also has to work to get a deeper post-out. He still doesn't understand space on the floor. When he's at the top of the key, people are backing off and he's trying to force passes aren't there. Again, we need him."

- Pretty telling they want him to do more and that they think he is capable of more.

RANT OVER.:)

Reactions: 2 people
I won't pretend to understand bball positions and duties of each player, but that doesn't stop me from watching our guys. My question is, why the lack of minutes for Schofield?! He was THE bright spot on last years team. It's hard to deny Fulkerson now, but is he that much better? I get that he may fit Barnes scheme better.

I enjoyed seeing Admiral get an ovation from the crowd when he came in late a couple games ago.

I won't pretend to understand bball positions and duties of each player, but that doesn't stop me from watching our guys. My question is, why the lack of minutes for Schofield?! He was THE bright spot on last years team. It's hard to deny Fulkerson now, but is he that much better? I get that he may fit Barnes scheme better.

I enjoyed seeing Admiral get an ovation from the crowd when he came in late a couple games ago.

Is he that much better? Maybe not. However, Admiral Schofield was suspended for four games earlier in the season (for a violation of team rules) and probably is having to earn those minutes back.

Is he that much better? Maybe not. However, Admiral Schofield was suspended for four games earlier in the season (for a violation of team rules) and probably is having to earn those minutes back.

I'm ashamed I didn't know that about the suspension, I'll have to look it up! Thanks for the info. (Being a newly-wed, my time is spent keeping wifey happy. I can't keep up with the team nearly as much!)

Schofield turned his ankle and limped off to the locker room for treatment. He wasn't on the bench for ten minutes or more last night.

Schofield logged 8 minutes and hobbled by injury was more productive on the boards than any of his games this season.
He played some 3 and some after the injury 4/5.
Currently in his own mind, he's a man confused about the position he wants to play. Don't really see him competing for minutes at the 3. Maybe Barnes is trying to teach him something by giving him a chance there.

I'm ashamed I didn't know that about the suspension, I'll have to look it up! Thanks for the info. (Being a newly-wed, my time is spent keeping wifey happy. I can't keep up with the team nearly as much!)

As I learned when I was stationed overseas with the army, there's always someone else to keep the wife happy when you're busy doing other things. For some reason, his name is always Jody.

Schofield logged 8 minutes and hobbled by injury was more productive on the boards than any of his games this season.
He played some 3 and some after the injury 4/5.
Currently in his own mind, he's a man confused about the position he wants to play. Don't really see him competing for minutes at the 3. Maybe Barnes is trying to teach him something by giving him a chance there.

like Butch putting Kongbo at DT...seeing how he would handle it...definitely a little tiff between the Admiral and Coach Barnes...wonder who will win...:)

GO VOLS!

I think Schofield has a major problem now. Last year, he may have been one of the best athletes on the team. Now, with Williams having a similar body type, he may be a bit of an odd man out. I am not saying that he cannot be a contributor, but his contribution is no longer unique. This is just my observation, and it may be wrong.

like Butch putting Kongbo at DT...seeing how he would handle it...definitely a little tiff between the Admiral and Coach Barnes...wonder who will win...:)

GO VOLS!

We make waaaay more out of these "tiffs" than the players and coaches do. Imo Last night he was the only player I saw to pat Barnes on the back, after being taken out of the game. And he never looked pouty while serving his suspension. Admiral is gonna be alright. He's just gotta embrace the junk yard dog/garbage buckets and defense mentality, rather than floating the 3 pt line and settle for the 3 ball mentality. Jmo

Reactions: 1 person
Lew Evans has to be the biggest waste of playing time right now. I'm sure the potential is there, but he has been nothing but a foul magnet. Barnes should give those minutes to someone who may actually contribute.

Alexander is turble. Barnes should have figured a way to keep Owens.

Their numbers are very similar so far this year, and that's with Owens having a redshirt year under his belt. I wouldn't complain to have both on the roster, but I don't think you can say one is really much better than the other.

Lew Evans has to be the biggest waste of playing time right now. I'm sure the potential is there, but he has been nothing but a foul magnet. Barnes should give those minutes to someone who may actually contribute.

Evans has 15 fouls in 9 games. Jabari McGhee had 4 fouls in his only game. I don't think that "foul magnate" is accurate.

I think Schofield has a major problem now. Last year, he may have been one of the best athletes on the team. Now, with Williams having a similar body type, he may be a bit of an odd man out. I am not saying that he cannot be a contributor, but his contribution is no longer unique. This is just my observation, and it may be wrong.

There was an article about Admiral getting his sleep apnea fixed before the season and having trimmed down and showing more energy. WTF happened to this kid?

What's the deal with Alexander as well. Is he not taking to coaching?

There was an article about Admiral getting his sleep apnea fixed before the season and having trimmed down and showing more energy. WTF happened to this kid?

What's the deal with Alexander as well. Is he not taking to coaching?

Two things... Barnes gets their attention and hopefully motivates them by sitting them down. Also, Barnes is big on matchups... so Admiral's and Alexander's playing time will fluctuate wildly based on what the opponent puts on the floor.

Thirdly... Alexander seems to be struggling with the mental part of what Barnes expects from his roster. That's understandable with his limited time playing organized basketball. Barnes probably expected this... therefore Lew Evans was brought in to fill the need while Kyle develops.

Fourthly... it looked like Schofield was going to get a lot of minutes versus TN Tech last night until he twisted up his ankle.

Reactions: 1 person
Evans has 15 fouls in 9 games. Jabari McGhee had 4 fouls in his only game. I don't think that "foul magnate" is accurate.

Okay, I'll agree to a point, but when you look at his overall production (10 mpg, 1.2 PPG, 1.4 RPG, 0 blocks, 3steals) the only thing I notice him doing is fouling people. Those minutes could be better used by another player.

Okay, I'll agree to a point, but when you look at his overall production (10 mpg, 1.2 PPG, 1.4 RPG, 0 blocks, 3steals) the only thing I notice him doing is fouling people. Those minutes could be better used by another player.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Setting screens don't show up. Handling the ball without making a turnover won't show up. Playing good help defense won't show up. Evans wouldn't be on the court at all if he's a bigger liability than others on the roster.

Evans has the highest foul rate on the team. Not really a stretch to call him a magnet. He has more fouls than rebounds this season.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Setting screens don't show up. Handling the ball without making a turnover won't show up. Playing good help defense won't show up. Evans wouldn't be on the court at all if he's a bigger liability than others on the roster.
How many times has he been sitting on the floor after one of his silly flops watching his man score?

VN Store

Back