The Volunteer Classic

Thunder Good-Oil

I can't remember when it ended. I wouldn't be surprised if it was KO that killed it off (actually I'd blame low attendance as the primary reason to shutter it). He ended TN's grandfathered in jersey with both "Tennessee" and "Volunteers" on the front when he dropped the "Volunteers". The "Oklahoma Sooners" and the "Tennessee Volunteers" were the last two to have the school's name and the nickname on the jerseys. I don't know if the NCAA has changed the rule though and if anybody has both now.

Anyway, I'd love to see a reincarnated Volunteer Classic with a new twist or two. Make the field entirely Tennessee schools. Tennessee, Memphis, MTSU, ETSU, TN Tech, Belmont, TN State, Austin Peay, even Vanderbilt if conference teams can meet up in non-conference matchups. There might be one or two others. It could even be rotated to other cities. TN usually plays one or two or three in-state pre-conference games already. It would be a good way to grow interest in basketball statewide.

Reactions: 3 people
Wonder if you could rotate it with four teams a year? And have everyone play everyone. That might be fun.

I was at that Temple game. Was a kid at the time. Man, what a game. Loved the Volunteer Classic. Would love to see it come back.

I can't remember when it ended. I wouldn't be surprised if it was KO that killed it off (actually I'd blame low attendance as the primary reason to shutter it). He ended TN's grandfathered in jersey with both "Tennessee" and "Volunteers" on the front when he dropped the "Volunteers". The "Oklahoma Sooners" and the "Tennessee Volunteers" were the last two to have the school's name and the nickname on the jerseys. I don't know if the NCAA has changed the rule though and if anybody has both now.

Anyway, I'd love to see a reincarnated Volunteer Classic with a new twist or two. Make the field entirely Tennessee schools. Tennessee, Memphis, MTSU, ETSU, TN Tech, Belmont, TN State, Austin Peay, even Vanderbilt if conference teams can meet up in non-conference matchups. There might be one or two others. It could even be rotated to other cities. TN usually plays one or two or three in-state pre-conference games already. It would be a good way to grow interest in basketball statewide.

This is a pretty great idea.

Austin Peay, Belmont, TN State, TN Tech, and UT-Martin are all in the OVC, so that's probably an issue.

ETSU and UT-C are in the SoCon.

TN and Vandy: SEC

MTSU: C-USA

Memphis: AAC (American Athletic Conference)

Lipscomb: Atlantic Sun Conference

Last edited:
Wasn't it during the Vol Classic tourney that Gary Carter hit an unbelievable buzzer beater to beat American University? I remember listening to John Ward call that game...every time I listen to Bob call a game I miss Ward more!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Wasn't it during the Vol Classic tourney that Gary Carter hit an unbelievable buzzer beater to beat American University? I remember listening to John Ward call that game...every time I listen to Bob call I game I miss Ward more!

Yes. Seconds left, American's ball under TN's basket with a one point lead. Carter intercepted the inbounds pass just inside half court, took one dribble and launched a 40 footer that was nothing but net. The video clip was part of the WATE-TV 6 news opening for a year or two, but I've never found it on YouTube.

Wonder if you could rotate it with four teams a year? And have everyone play everyone. That might be fun.
Pretty good idea. Same format as the Sanford Pentagon Classic won by ETSU this year. The other teams were Milwaukee, San Diego State, and University of California Irvine.

I would like to see this tournament as well but not instate schools. Bring in teams to Knoxville or Nashville. Schools like UNLV, Butler and Illinois. With names like this it would get the fans excited. It would be much better than Presbyterian.

Reactions: 1 person
The other classic format I've seen is to have 2 host teams and 2 visiting big name teams - the visitors rotate and play both host teams. No true winner - except for the fans

I remember hearing a story that Travis Henry hit a buzzer beater. I'm young, but I think someone told me "the white Travis Henry hit a buzzer beater to beat the Russian national team". Idk if I'm remembering that right

Would be an interesting 3 day event if they had a Maui type event at Bridgestone Arena.

Day 1.
Tennessee vs Belmont
Memphis vs ETSU
Vanderbilt vs MTSU
UTC vs Lipscomb

Day 2.
Tennessee vs ETSU
Memphis vs MTSU
Vanderbilt vs Lipscomb
UTC vs Belmont

Day 3.
Tennessee vs Memphis
Vanderbilt vs UTC
ETSU vs MTSU
Belmont vs Lipscomb

Travis Henry did hit a shot to beat Russian National team in 1988

Getting all these schools to agree to anything would surpass Middle East peace as a diplomatic accomplishment.

I recall a great Vol Classic game between Clemson, with Tree Rollins, vs Tennessee with Ernie and Bernie. Great game.

VN Store

Back