A great player in the making...

CNeagleVolFan

I am impressed by almost everyone so far, but if you asked me the one guy I'm most impressed with I would tell you it is Shembari Phillips. Kid can do it all: pass, shoot, dribble drive, etc. He is capable of developing into a star, and his 3 point shooting touch is so good. With how he shoots and how good he is at driving to the bucket he can very well have a 25-30 point game this season. At just a sophomore this kid will develop into a star IMO. Keeping him and admiral will turn out to be huge, and was one of the best things Barnes did when he got here. Both players will be outstanding, but I think Shembari will be a star.

Reactions: 3 people
Phillips is our best player. Team plays much better when he is on the court. Only he and Mostella can really create their own shot. Not there yet but similar in some ways to Josh Richardson.

Phillips is our best player. Team plays much better when he is on the court. Only he and Mostella can really create their own shot. Not there yet but similar in some ways to Josh Richardson.

Hubbs can create his own shot. He just doesn't bother to try that often.

Kid is a lot like Richardson, but developing a little faster than he did. Kid is going to be absolutely great here. He will be a 1000 point scorer here along with admiral IMO.

Phillips has played well so far this year. Last year he was somewhat inconsistent and would lose his focus... forcing shots and passes. I am pleased at how much more reliable his outside shot has been this year.

The opponents have probably not been devoting too much of their game prep (defensively) focusing on SP and instead have most likely directed it at Hubbs and Mostella and how to aggressively defend a team with small post players. They probably also anticipated that the majority of the PG minutes would go to Bone/Parker/Turner. It will be a real good sign if Phillips does not have a drop off now that he's surely gotten the attention of upcoming opposing coaches.

I haven't studied his game... does he favor his strong hand much? Is he equally effective dribbling with either hand and driving left or right? Seems like Golden and Ramar and Armani and maybe even Richsrdson really preferred to drive down the right side of the lane (or in Moore's case cut across the lane left to right). SP might have that same tendency.

The one thing that Shembari did a lot yesterday that I did not like was that he would often stop the ball movement. Time after time he'd be holding the ball just off the top of the key and stare into the middle of the defense. I'd rather see more ball movement and force the defense to work harder all over the half court. We aren't going to be a team where the guards will methodically work at getting the ball to a big guy in the paint. We need to be high energy and attacking on offense with a lot of ball movement and work at wearing down opposing teams. Against GA Tech, it really didn't matter.

Do you think he might have had words with Barnes after being benched?

That would make more sense than flunking a piss test or neglecting his class room responsibilities. I suppose it's possible that he said something disparaging about a teammate that earned more minutes that came out of his allotment too. But since they're keeping the offense private, we're all just speculating and gossiping.

I think one aspect of Shembari's game that is going unnoticed is his defense. I think he should be matched up on the other team's best player on the perimeter when he's in the game.

I look at shembari as a poor mans jimmy butler. Could just be the hair, idl. Lol

If he would be a little bit more aggressive with trying to score more than i think he would get more national attention. I really think he has a great future

Reactions: 1 person
The one thing that Shembari did a lot yesterday that I did not like was that he would often stop the ball movement. Time after time he'd be holding the ball just off the top of the key and stare into the middle of the defense. I'd rather see more ball movement and force the defense to work harder all over the half court.

That may have been by design specifically for this game as Tech was switching up defense in the middle of a play.

That may have been by design specifically for this game as Tech was switching up defense in the middle of a play.

True. Barnes kept yelling at them to push the ball while still in transition, but if there was nothing there to capitalize on Shembari could have been analyzing the defensive set up. I hate when they hold the ball late into the possession. SP might have been doing that mainly right after the fast breaks were cut off by the defense.

VN Store

Back