After Maui??

OrangeAllDay

So after our trip to the Maui Jim how do we feel about this team?? The same, better, worse? What's Volnation feeling???

It's hard to say better or worse because Bone didn't play much and now they say he has a stress fracture. But at the same time Parker and Bowden played well along with Fulkerson. So I guess with tough close games against Wisconsin and Oregon I have to say better. I think they are well coached to be able to battle back from deficits.

Reactions: 6 people
So after our trip to the Maui Jim how do we feel about this team?? The same, better, worse? What's Volnation feeling???

:rock:After playing number 13 Wisconsin and even leading over half way through the second half and taking number 16 Oregon to overtime only to loose on a last second three point shot, this young team without height and coaching by Barnes is going to give some problems to some SEC teams. With a strong recruiting class, Barnes will get the Vols back to competitive basketball.

Reactions: 6 people
Evens out the loss to Chatt. I know it's a cliche, but I think we'll win some games we shouldn't but will also lose some we shouldn't.

Reactions: 2 people
Evens out the loss to Chatt. I know it's a cliche, but I think we'll win some games we shouldn't but will also lose some we shouldn't.

Right now I feel like we play to the level of our opponents which isn't a characteristic of winning basketball.

However - it's a long season - and I like the trend in seeing from an energy and effort and discipline perspective.

About where I expected. I still think around 14 wins, but there are some postives to take out of the tournament

I think this long break is gonna make us worse. These guys are still trying to play together. We need to play game after game IMO. It will speed up the chemistry issues you have with a young team.

Once SEC play comes in, you'll see a more polished team and I think it's gonna amaze some folks.

I think this long break is gonna make us worse. These guys are still trying to play together. We need to play game after game IMO. It will speed up the chemistry issues you have with a young team.

Once SEC play comes in, you'll see a more polished team and I think it's gonna amaze some folks.

I think they'll play even better the second half. RB has really upgraded the non conference schedule, which is great, but it's going to mean wins might be hard to come by for a young team. They could be a dangerous team in February and March

Reactions: 1 person
I think better -- Schofield should be back and hopefully Bone by the end of Jan. if not Id redshirt him

Just play the freshmen inside Alexander still hasn't understood what he needs to do. Way to tentative when he plays Fulkerson already understands what he needs to do and will get better with every game.

Fulkerson and Williams need more PT, I would essentially make Evans last guy off the bench if even that...Williams/Fulk/Alexander are your best rebounders and also shot blockers, and they all have a ton of basketball left here, get them the experience.

Really hoping Jordan Bone gets back ASAP, this team is better with him running the point and allows Turner and Phillips to play off the ball where they are better suited. Not sure what to make of Admiral, he wasn't playing much and then the suspension, have to think he's deep into Barnes' dog house.

I also would keep Mostella coming off the bench, some guys just play better as the sixth man and that seems to be the case. When he starts and forces some of those shots it looks worse than when he comes off the bench with some of the subs and his scoring is needed, I like him staying in that role going forward.

Bone 25/ Parker 15
Phillips 6/ Mostella 16/ Turner 14/ Bowden 4
Hubbs 20/ Phillips 20
Williams 25/ Hubbs 10/ Fulkerson 5
Alexander 25/ Fulkerson 15

Fulkerson and Williams need more PT, I would essentially make Evans last guy off the bench if even that...Williams/Fulk/Alexander are your best rebounders and also shot blockers, and they all have a ton of basketball left here, get them the experience.

Really hoping Jordan Bone gets back ASAP, this team is better with him running the point and allows Turner and Phillips to play off the ball where they are better suited. Not sure what to make of Admiral, he wasn't playing much and then the suspension, have to think he's deep into Barnes' dog house.

I also would keep Mostella coming off the bench, some guys just play better as the sixth man and that seems to be the case. When he starts and forces some of those shots it looks worse than when he comes off the bench with some of the subs and his scoring is needed, I like him staying in that role going forward.

Bone 25/ Parker 15
Hubbs 20/ Phillips 20

Shembari has been the most consistent player out there, and you want to give him 6 minutes?

Edit: My bad. Didn't see his name a 2nd time

TN's luck these days says Bone will have a medical redshirt season.

Don't think Turner is any more comfortable at point than Punter was last season starting out. That means Shembari willl pull most of the PG duties with Parker behind and Turner limited time off the ball at 2.

Too many question marks to be overly optimistic but I do like the grit this team exhibits.

This team is athletic but undersized. It reminds me of VCU under S. Smart, who always had a lot of undersized, athletic teams except they hounded the ball and pressed more than the Vols do. When you are undersized, you have to create turnovers on defense and shoot the ball very well to win. You especially have to be a good three-point shooting team. We have some guys who penetrate well, Fulkerson is promising, and like the direction of the team. But in the end our three-point shooting percentage and defense will determine how many games this team can win.

This seems like a team that will at times show flashes of brilliant athleticism and surprise some teams and then next game be incredibly frustrating. I think this team will have a mediocre season but once they start learning to play consistently with each other they could make a surprise run in the SEC tourney.

What I took from the tournament is our recruits are much better than they were rated, and we have a lot of talent to look forward to. I think Fulk, Williams, Bone, Bowden, and even Kwe have played better than their rating. I also believe we will have good 3 point shooting from Shembari, and Mostella. They can hit it with consistency, and when Bowden gets going beyond the arc he will be a complete player for us. The missing link is Robert Hubbs. When he plays up to his potential we will be a good team. When he scores around 10 points we probably won't win unless others step up. Averaged almost 16 at Maui but 28 came against Chaminade. I honestly think he is a 5 star talent but he doesn't have the mentality of a 5 star player. This season if he averages 15-18 ppg we will have a .500 or better season. I also see good progression from Kyle Alexander, and hope he continues to bulk up and work on his game inside and outside because he has a terrific shooting stroke. I could see 18 wins being the ceiling for this team, but 13 or 14 being the basement for this team. If they keep building off of this they can be a dangerous team later in the year for sure.

What I took from the tournament is our recruits are much better than they were rated, and we have a lot of talent to look forward to. I think Fulk, Williams, Bone, Bowden, and even Kwe have played better than their rating. I also believe we will have good 3 point shooting from Shembari, and Mostella. They can hit it with consistency, and when Bowden gets going beyond the arc he will be a complete player for us. The missing link is Robert Hubbs. When he plays up to his potential we will be a good team. When he scores around 10 points we probably won't win unless others step up. Averaged almost 16 at Maui but 28 came against Chaminade. I honestly think he is a 5 star talent but he doesn't have the mentality of a 5 star player. This season if he averages 15-18 ppg we will have a .500 or better season. I also see good progression from Kyle Alexander, and hope he continues to bulk up and work on his game inside and outside because he has a terrific shooting stroke. I could see 18 wins being the ceiling for this team, but 13 or 14 being the basement for this team. If they keep building off of this they can be a dangerous team later in the year for sure.

Like a lot of what you said here. I am very curious how things will change when SEC Play starts. Well, that and how we continue Non Conference play. The Game against UNC is going to be interesting. They look great.

Lew Evans has to be better. A graduate senior. The kid is 23 playing with 18 year olds and looks over matched defensively, and can't seem to help us on the offensive end. If this continues for the next couple games, I would say give all his minutes and develop Williams/Fulkerson.

Thoughts?

We played two quality, veteran, ranked teams without are unquestioned best option at PG and without one of our only returning players that saw time last season. And we had a lead in 2nd half against Wisconsin and went to OT against Oregon. If you are not more encouraged than you were before then you either had off-kilter expectations before Maui or you should give up any critical analysis of the game of basketball. We are a flawed team. We will not win tons of games. But we look well coached. We play hard. And our young players have talent. We will be a good team in the future.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm feeling about the same. Could surprise a couple teams and could get surprised by a few as well.

We played two quality, veteran, ranked teams without are unquestioned best option at PG and without one of our only returning players that saw time last season. And we had a lead in 2nd half against Wisconsin and went to OT against Oregon. If you are not more encouraged than you were before then you either had off-kilter expectations before Maui or you should give up any critical analysis of the game of basketball. We are a flawed team. We will not win tons of games. But we look well coached. We play hard. And our young players have talent. We will be a good team in the future.
Amen. And all these folks saying Barnes can't coach. We were in a position to win both games that we should have honestly never been close to. Can't wait for the Georgia Tech game.

Amen. And all these folks saying Barnes can't coach. We were in a position to win both games that we should have honestly never been close to. Can't wait for the Georgia Tech game.

It seems that the GA Tech game will be internet only. ACC versus SEC and it's not on TV. Smdh.

Still in need of quality BIGS. Fulkerson looks impressive, but needs another 15/20lbs on his frame. If Stokes and perhaps another quality BIG comes on board next season we should see an improved team, but I don't see Barnes ever getting his team any further than middle of the pack in the SEC. This season will be a struggle with all the Freshman. The learning curve for them might be entertaining to watch, but the losses might be greater.

Bone 25/ Parker 15
Hubbs 20/ Phillips 20
Fulkerson may be the steal of the recruiting class. He has shown improvement every game and the more he plays the better he plays.

VN Store

Back