The There Is No Chance For Us As A Species Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Something that is going to happen with a guy like Kyle Alexander is games like this. Three steps forward, one step back. He will recover. This was a tough matchup for him.

2. Something that looked like UT found today was some curl screens to the hoop. Bowden and Hubbs both got buckets off of them and that is something that UT needs to do more. More easy buckets off side curl screens would really benefit this team.

3. Let me preface by saying how good the officials were yesterday against Wisconsin but my Lord they were awful today. It was terrible. Eight straight possessions ended in fouls at one point. It killed the flow of a pretty damn good basketball for the first thirty minutes.

4. Now let me also say it doesn't help that there was 40+ turnovers by the teams combined and is something that UT is going to have work on. Too much sloppiness overall.

5. Admiral Schofield got suspended. Kyle Alexander didn't step up today. Yet John Fulkerson did. Loved seeing that from him. He had a great game and loved seeing 8-12 from the line. That hustle is going to get him places.

6. Lamonte Turner can be a great player, he just needs that confidence. He has that ability and he can create space for his jump shot. It's just about getting confidence and putting his game together.

7. Bernard King Player of the Game: Detrick Mostella. I loved what I saw from him today in the first half but we need that aggressiveness for a full 40 minutes and smarter defense. But enough of the negatives. He provided a spark and I love his effort to crash the boards. Had nine today.

8. Tennessee is getting off to slow starts to the half and something I would like to see is a full court press early. UT is great at causing havoc and forcing turnovers. Trying to force that issue early and grabbing a couple early buckets for a young team to start off would help.

9. Also a nice spark from Kwe Parker today. I liked the minutes he gave.

10. A really tough performance by Tennessee. They are getting better. Halfcourt offense continues to be a bummer but I'm not surprised at this point. Liked the defensive game planning from Barnes to press and create easy buckets. It is working. It is a damn shame Jordan Bone got hurt because Tennessee would have won today with him. But this is getting good minutes for Parker/Phillips/Turner. Need big games tomorrow for Kyle Alexander and Jordan Bowden IMO. Get a win against Chaminade and go happy with the improvement your team is making.

Reactions: 6 people
I think that it was Kesling that I heard saying that Barnes is a big matchup guy... and KA did not match up well. He also had two quick fouls.

The freshmen are all showing a lot of potential. I hope that Bowden gets on a roll and builds up confidence in taking shots. Don't need him to hesitate when he has an open look. His perimeter offense is badly needed if this team hopes to get to the NIT.

I look forward to the day that Parker and Bone are on the court at the same time.TN is solid at the 2/3 when Turner, Phillips, and Mostella are the rotation. 4 isn't a disaster with Williams, Hubbs, and Schofield available. Size at the 5 is the weak link, but Alexander and Fulkerson can run the floor, so that can be an advantage in a fast paced game.

Glass is half full right now.

I think that it was Kesling that I heard saying that Barnes is a big matchup guy... and KA did not match up well. He also had two quick fouls.

The freshmen are all showing a lot of potential. I hope that Bowden gets on a roll and builds up confidence in taking shots. Don't need him to hesitate when he has an open look. His perimeter offense is badly needed if this team hopes to get to the NIT.

I look forward to the day that Parker and Bone are on the court at the same time.TN is solid at the 2/3 when Turner, Phillips, and Mostella are the rotation. 4 isn't a disaster with Williams, Hubbs, and Schofield available. Size at the 5 is the weak link, but Alexander and Fulkerson can run the floor, so that can be an advantage in a fast paced game.

Glass is half full right now.

Bowden had good look all nights. He hits two of those and UT wins. I liked that he had the onions to take that shot in OT despite struggling.

Reactions: 1 person
Thought the difference in Mostella second half was Pritchard. Looked like he was glued to him at times. Good defensive job.

Disappointed that this thread wasn't titled the "I love Maui" Postgame Report. Opportunity missed, Z. :)

This team, if they can continue to improve, has a real chance at .500 in SEC play.

Agree with all of this Z, especially 3,5 & 6. Even more impressive about #5, Fulkerson's free throw numbers came after a 2-5 start. I was thinking he was starting to get gassed, cause some of those early misses were off the front of the rim. But he stepped up big time at the line.

And that dude contests everything he possible can on defense. Even the shots he didn't get to he affected. Really like his game so far.

This team, if they can continue to improve, has a real chance at .500 in SEC play.
Agreed. Unfortunately, I thought GA looked good against KU last night.. especially their big men. Florida supposed to be good as well, but haven't watched them play yet.

Agree with all of this Z, especially 3,5 & 6. Even more impressive about #5, Fulkerson's free throw numbers came after a 2-5 start. I was thinking he was starting to get gassed, cause some of those early misses were off the front of the rim. But he stepped up big time at the line.

And that dude contests everything he possible can on defense. Even the shots he didn't get to he affected. Really like his game so far.

Fulkerson is just a basketball player. Doesn't look the part just plays the part.

Reactions: 1 person
Fulkerson is just a basketball player. Doesn't look the part just plays the part.

No doubt. And the kind of effort he puts out is also contagious.

Now if he could just take Dallas 1 on 1. :)

VN Store

Back