Comments from Oregon Game

longrobe

I spent the game, watching. Decided not to jump on the Forum until after the game. Read through all 452 replies. Here are some comments:

Refs will always be bad. No one ever leaves a game saying, "Man, the refs were so good today." There will always be games you get less calls, more calls. Its basketball and there is nothing we can do about it.

Our team is YOUNG. We can't change that. Forget about the freshman for a second. Everyone keeps saying, "I thought Barnes was a good recruiter. We got brought in nobody this year." Look at who we are returning as a team. Do you really think Barnes is going to bring in Top 50 recruits to play with Alexander, Hubbs, Mostella, and Schofield. The recruiting process takes time. He brought in seven players, who will take at least a year to be ready (and for Jalen Johnson, a redshirt year).

Grant Williams is a bit undersized but battles.
Kwe Parker isn't sure yet what is position is. At Wesleyan Christian for the last four years he played the two/three because they had four other D1 guys on the team (Brandon Childress - Wake Forest/PG, Jalen Johnson - UT, Harry Giles - Duke, and a kid who is going to Houston Baptist and another to Lipscomb.) It will take him to figure out his position in college.
John Fulkerson - played only 15 minutes in the first two games coming into the game today. To leave with 12 and 10 and 5 blocks battling against a much bigger Boucher, is impressive. The kid just works and hustles. At Christ School, NC, he wasn't the leading scorer. He was their back bone hustle guy who had 113 blocks and lead the team in steals, rebounding. He will just continue to get better. He stepped up big tonight.
Jordan Bowden - Had an off shooting night. He hits two more threes and all of you are saying that Jordan should be starting.
Jordan Bone - unfortunate that he was hurt tonight could have used him.

It will be trial by fire with the freshman this year, but they will just continue to improve. We can't expect 18 year olds to come in and average 15 points and lead their team to five games over .500 when Barnes wasn't expecting any of them to do that in the first place.

Watch the game for what it is.
-Down ten, "we suck, we are so bad."
-We come back and all of a sudden its "maybe I was wrong, perhaps we might be good this year."
-Lose the game and its, "I knew it. We are terrible."

Lastly, before we call for Barnes firing, let's realize it takes a while to get a team to where you want them to be. This is year 2. Billy Donovan was 13-17 and 14-15 in his first two years at Florida. He made the tourney in year 3, and for the next nine years. Give it time. Trust the process.

Reactions: 6 people
Excellent post. I was encouraged by the segments f the game where our guys were in sync and played with purpose. We have a ways to go in defending, but we will get better with experience. I thought we could have won this game until we kinda fell apart for the first 8 minutes of the second half. We missed Bone and the Admiral wonder what he did to tick Rick off?

Reactions: 1 person
I spent the game, watching. Decided not to jump on the Forum until after the game. Read through all 452 replies. Here are some comments:

Refs will always be bad. No one ever leaves a game saying, "Man, the refs were so good today." There will always be games you get less calls, more calls. Its basketball and there is nothing we can do about it.

Our team is YOUNG. We can't change that. Forget about the freshman for a second. Everyone keeps saying, "I thought Barnes was a good recruiter. We got brought in nobody this year." Look at who we are returning as a team. Do you really think Barnes is going to bring in Top 50 recruits to play with Alexander, Hubbs, Mostella, and Schofield. The recruiting process takes time. He brought in seven players, who will take at least a year to be ready (and for Jalen Johnson, a redshirt year).

Grant Williams is a bit undersized but battles.
Kwe Parker isn't sure yet what is position is. At Wesleyan Christian for the last four years he played the two/three because they had four other D1 guys on the team (Brandon Childress - Wake Forest/PG, Jalen Johnson - UT, Harry Giles - Duke, and a kid who is going to Houston Baptist and another to Lipscomb.) It will take him to figure out his position in college.
John Fulkerson - played only 15 minutes in the first two games coming into the game today. To leave with 12 and 10 and 5 blocks battling against a much bigger Boucher, is impressive. The kid just works and hustles. At Christ School, NC, he wasn't the leading scorer. He was their back bone hustle guy who had 113 blocks and lead the team in steals, rebounding. He will just continue to get better. He stepped up big tonight.
Jordan Bowden - Had an off shooting night. He hits two more threes and all of you are saying that Jordan should be starting.
Jordan Bone - unfortunate that he was hurt tonight could have used him.

It will be trial by fire with the freshman this year, but they will just continue to improve. We can't expect 18 year olds to come in and average 15 points and lead their team to five games over .500 when Barnes wasn't expecting any of them to do that in the first place.

Watch the game for what it is.
-Down ten, "we suck, we are so bad."
-We come back and all of a sudden its "maybe I was wrong, perhaps we might be good this year."
-Lose the game and its, "I knew it. We are terrible."

Lastly, before we call for Barnes firing, let's realize it takes a while to get a team to where you want them to be. This is year 2. Billy Donovan was 13-17 and 14-15 in his first two years at Florida. He made the tourney in year 3, and for the next nine years. Give it time. Trust the process.

There are some who don't want Barnes to work out, so any loss will be used against him. That's why you see the comments. Outside of the turnovers there is a lot to be happy about from today.

Anybody that is not pleased with the effort and the talent they see in many of the players has an axe to grind. They are two big men short on the roster and Bone did not play. They have played to top 20 rated teams well for as young as they are. Promising future. A lot has been learned by this roster that will benefit them as the season progresses.

Reactions: 2 people
What I took from today,

-Is that Barnes has the ability to take players that were underachievers and make them legit scorers (See Punter last year and possibly Mostella this year)

-Its never going to "click" for Hubbs. He is what he is.

-Tennessee really has something in Fulkerson. He is more talented than he seems, and plays with a lot of tenacity.

This team is some experience and a few more big bodies away from being a dangerous team which is able to compete and win week in and week out.

Fulkerson reminds me of Tyler Hansbrough. The future looks bright here. Everyone one of the freshman have shown some flashes (minus Jalen Johnson because of the red shirt of course). Stars don't mean everything in recruiting and I trust a coach who has been coaching for 30+ years over some bozo's on here who watch highlight films and look at stars.

Reactions: 2 people
What I took from today,

-Is that Barnes has the ability to take players that were underachievers and make them legit scorers (See Punter last year and possibly Mostella this year)

-Its never going to "click" for Hubbs. He is what he is.

-Tennessee really has something in Fulkerson. He is more talented than he seems, and plays with a lot of tenacity.

This team is some experience and a few more big bodies away from being a dangerous team which is able to compete and win week in and week out.
This is what people were saying about Fulkerson after the Oregon game in his freshman season. Stoked called him a Tyler Hansbrough. Hope he gets back to where he was next season.

Reactions: LampVol

VN Store

Back